Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Madonna adoption appeal approved

Actress, Singer, Dancer. Model, Fashion designer, Perfume Seller, Author, Socialite and Cellulite!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8095837.stm

Madonna has won her appeal to adopt a second child from Malawi, the country's highest court has ruled.

The star, who is said to be "excited" at the news, was appealing against an earlier decision that she could not adopt Chifundo "Mercy" James, four.

In April, a judge ruled out the adoption saying prospective parents had to be resident in Malawi for 18 months.

But the appeals court said the star's commitment to helping disadvantaged children had not been considered.

The singer has founded a charity, Raising Malawi, which helps feed, educate and provide medical care for some of Malawi's one million-plus orphans.

The 50-year-old singer's lawyer said he had called the singer after the ruling.

"It's the wee hours of morning in New York but she is excited at the news," Alan Chinula said.

"As her lawyer I am happy that this has settled this contentious issue."

He said he was arranging a passport for Mercy and was waiting to hear from Madonna about travel plans for the child.

Better life

The southern African state's chief justice, Lovemore Munlo, praised Madonna's interest in helping Malawian orphans and said the child would have a better life with the star.

"In our view, Chifundo James is better taken care of by being adopted by foreign parents who will give her love and affection," he said during the appeal hearing.

She was also financially stable, he added.

"In this global village, a man can have more than one place at which he resides.

"The matter of residence should be determined at the time of application of the adoption.

"In this case, Madonna was in Malawi not by chance but by intention."

Madonna's commitment to Malawian orphans meant she could "not be described as a sojourner", he added.

Judge Esmie Chondo ruled out the adoption in April, saying the star had not spent enough time in Malawi.

Those rules were waived in 2006 when Madonna adopted a boy, David, from the southern African state.

Raising Malawi

Child welfare groups had argued that the residency rule was central to adoptions, and that Malawian parents should be sought before children were placed overseas.

The appeals court said the earlier decision had been based on a narrow interpretation of old laws.

But the appeal ruling has been criticised by Malawi's Human Rights Consultative Committee - a coalition of non-governmental organisations.

Undule Mwakasungula said the judge had "disregarded" international agreements on children's rights and adoptions.

"We are a bit surprised but we can't challenge it because the supreme court has ruled and we have to go with that," he said.

Mercy has been living in an orphanage since her teenage mother died shortly after giving birth.

Madonna also has two biological children - Lourdes, 12, and Rocco, aged eight.

Last month, the man believed to be Mercy's father told a US TV programme The Early Show he opposed the adoption and wanted to look after her - even though he had never met her.

"I want to take care of her, and I'm capable to take care of my baby," he told the CBS show.

"Mercy, she is a Malawian - so [I] need her to grow as a Malawian as well with our culture."

Posted on

I was actually quite pleased her appeal was allowed. I know there will be arguements about keeping the child in there own country but TBH Madonna can give this child a life many could only dream about.

Sweetheart
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

That's exactly what I was going to say LLC. I think it can only be a good thing. I know she's a working mum etc - but so are many of the rest of us. :thumb:

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

I think it disgusting that Madonna gets away with stuff that those without the money and 'connections' wouldn't get.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

And of course giving £12,000,000 in backhanders will ensure victory in most cases.

Anyone who can't be bothered to pick up their own adoptee and uses some Borg employee to pick it up isn't genuinely interested in adopting. It's just a fashion accessory and the battle is by a spoilt bitch who can't get her own way.

Money can't buy a proper upbringing. Kid would be better off in Malawi

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

In an orphanage, living with the risk of starvation, disease and civil war? I disagree. We don't know what sort of mother Madonna is, so it's unfair to judge.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:In an orphanage, living with the risk of starvation, disease and civil war? I disagree. We don't know what sort of mother Madonna is, so it's unfair to judge.

I think the above picture us a good indication.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Why? I don't pick my kids up at school, and I only spend 4 hours a day with them. Not much different - we don't know the circumstances.

And even if she isn't a great mother - I believe the girl will have a better life than in Malawi. When I was at school, one of our teachers started at the school having done voluntary work there, she was in tears telling us about the conditions. I can't imagine it will have improved an awful lot since then.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:Why? I don't pick my kids up at school, and I only spend 4 hours a day with them. Not much different - we don't know the circumstances.

And even if she isn't a great mother - I believe the girl will have a better life than in Malawi. When I was at school, one of our teachers started at the school having done voluntary work there, she was in tears telling us about the conditions. I can't imagine it will have improved an awful lot since then.

But surely the daily run of picking kids up from school is a bit different from the momentous and emotional occasion of picking up a child you'd just adopted from half way across the world. I but guess you'd want to do it in person. I know I would.

From where I'm sitting it looked liked Madonna treat it just like buying a piece of designed furniture. "Ok, I'll get one of my people to pick it up!"

And I'm not doubting the awful conditions out there, but Madonna gets privileges ordinary people don't get. In fact this leads to less kids from Malawi getting the chance of a better life. There were interviews in the news with ordinary people, who would also be able to give these kids a better life, but were refused. I'm sure had they slipped Malawi £12 million things would have been different

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Yes, I can see your point Smeggy - but the fact that a backhander will get you a child is not Madonna's fault, it's the corruption which is wrong.

However - yes, she should have collected the little girl in person.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:Yes, I can see your point Smeggy - but the fact that a backhander will get you a child is not Madonna's fault, it's the corruption which is wrong.

However - yes, she should have collected the little girl in person.

But Madonna is complicit in the corruption by participating in it.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I think it disgusting that Madonna gets away with stuff that those without the money and 'connections' wouldn't get.

This is an ill informed a statement.I lived most of my life in various countries in Africa and it is easy to adopt there, unlike UK where potential parents need to have qualities akin to Mary and Joseph and Jesus ,and it takes years.And sometimes never happens at all despite years of waiting.

Little to do with her money or connections, though to dispute she has shelled out millions there over the years is silly.But she did not begin doing it in order to adopt. She would have a hard time paying a family t take care of children as it is par for the course the children get mistreated used abused and the money intended for them swiped by the adults.It IS Africa after all and that sadly is reality of a 3rd world in dire straits.

I have friends from Edinburgh ,who live in Malawi for now at any rate,who have 9 adopted African children, some from Malawi some from Uganda and some from Kenya.Outside legal fees cost them nothing.No connections, no donations, just a desire to fill up their home with happy children ,and enough money and space to provide a good life for them all.

You lot just rant because it is a celebrity you think has some kind of charmed life with all that money.Wasted bitterness really.

Moot point but do you personally do anything for the 1.2 billion kids in world needing good homes.?

On two rolls!!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Deb Arkle wrote:Why? I don't pick my kids up at school, and I only spend 4 hours a day with them. Not much different - we don't know the circumstances.

But surely the daily run of picking kids up from school is a bit different from the momentous and emotional occasion of picking up a child you'd just adopted from half way across the world. I but guess you'd want to do it in person. I know I would.

From where I'm sitting it looked liked Madonna treat it just like buying a piece of designed furniture. "Ok, I'll get one of my people to pick it up!"

And I'm not doubting the awful conditions out there, but Madonna gets privileges ordinary people don't get. In fact this leads to less kids from Malawi getting the chance of a better life. There were interviews in the news with ordinary people, who would also be able to give these kids a better life, but were refused. I'm sure had they slipped Malawi £12 million things would have been different

To be fair Smeggy I think the reason that Madonna wouldnt have collected the baby herself was that it would have attracted an awful a lot more media attention and could be seen as her showing off for winning her appeal which in a way makes sense. :)

Sweetheart
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Celebs