Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Anger over Mail column on Gately

Actress, Singer, Dancer. Model, Fashion designer, Perfume Seller, Author, Socialite and Cellulite!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8311499.stm

More than 1,000 complaints have been made about a Daily Mail column on the death of singer Stephen Gately, the Press Complaints Commission (PCC) says.

The PCC said the number of complaints received about the piece by Jan Moir was "approaching a record".

Moir's article said Gately's death struck a blow to the "happy-ever-after myth of civil partnerships".

In a statement, Moir said it was "mischievous" to suggest her article had homophobic undertones.

The PCC said it was considering the nature of the comments it had received.

A spokesman said many of the concerns related to the perceived impact of the article on the family.

He said the PCC had sought to make contact with family representatives to establish whether they wish to make a complaint.

The article also attracted angry comments on social networking sites and blogs.

In her column, Moir called the Boyzone singer's death "strange, lonely and troubling".

She wrote: "The Gately family are - perhaps understandably - keen to register their boy's demise on the national consciousness as nothing more than a tragic accident."

But she continued: "Whatever the cause of death is, it is not, by any yardstick, a natural one. Let us be absolutely clear about this.

"All that has been established so far is that Stephen Gately was not murdered."

She concluded: "As a gay rights champion, I am sure he would want to set an example to any impressionable young men who may want to emulate what they might see as his glamorous routine.

"For once again, under the carapace of glittering, hedonistic celebrity, the ooze of a very different and more dangerous lifestyle has seeped out for all to see."

'Not intentional'

In response to the complaints, the Daily Mail released a statement from Moir.

She said: "Some people, particularly in the gay community, have been upset by my article about the sad death of Boyzone member Stephen Gately. This was never my intention."

She said the point of her column was to suggest that the death raised "many unanswered questions."

She said she was not referring to the fact of his homosexuality when writing about Gately's "glamorous routine".

She also defended her comments about civil partnerships.

She said: "I was suggesting that civil partnerships - the introduction of which I am on the record in supporting - have proved just to be as problematic as marriages."

Meanwhile, Marks & Spencer has asked the newspaper to move an advertisement which appeared alongside the online version of the article.

The retailer said: "Marks & Spencer does not tolerate any form of discrimination.

"We have asked the Daily Mail to move our advertisement away from the article. This is a matter for the Daily Mail."

Posted on

I am amazed ...people can be motivated to react to a dead boy band member ...and yet ignore real issues that really count :roll:

Posted on

annie27 wrote:I am amazed ...people can be motivated to react to a dead boy band member ...and yet ignore real issues that really count :roll:

It's about human nature and compassion Annie. Some of us are able to be motivated by both things at once.

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:I am amazed ...people can be motivated to react to a dead boy band member ...and yet ignore real issues that really count :roll:

It's about human nature and compassion Annie. Some of us are able to be motivated by both things at once.

No its about Celebrity Martyn ...and distraction ....Nice lad dies ...very sad ..but the press will drag it out ....and it aint because they care .

I would like to see more complaints to the Goverment about dead soldiers than this , people care more about Jordan and Peter than the Bailouts and future taxes for our kids ...sad but true

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:

No its about Celebrity Martyn ...and distraction ....Nice lad dies ...very sad ..but the press will drag it out ....and it aint because they care .

I would like to see more complaints to the Goverment about dead soldiers than this , people care more about Jordan and Peter than the Bailouts and future taxes for our kids ...sad but true

I don't think his family and friends see this as just a distraction. If it does not interest you fine, just leave the thread alone for people who are interested in his sad passing.

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:

I don't think his family and friends see this as just a distraction. If it does not interest you fine, just leave the thread alone for people who are interested in his sad passing.

but thats my point ....for them its heartbreaking ....for the papers its gossip and sales ...a very sad event is being turned into a public circus ....but if you think thats ok ??? What has his death got to do with anyone other than his closest ...his career maybe ...but not his demise .

Posted on

annie27 wrote:but thats my point ....for them its heartbreaking ....for the papers its gossip and sales ...a very sad event is being turned into a public circus ....but if you think thats ok ??? What has his death got to do with anyone other than his closest ...his career maybe ...but not his demise .

He had fans who loved him and have been affected by his passing, They have a right to grieve too.

And I should point out this was not a celebrity, this was a musician, someone who was famous for something, not someone who was famous because they were famous.

Save your misplaced distain for those that deserve it.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

GIR wrote:
annie27 wrote:but thats my point ....for them its heartbreaking ....for the papers its gossip and sales ...a very sad event is being turned into a public circus ....but if you think thats ok ??? What has his death got to do with anyone other than his closest ...his career maybe ...but not his demise .

He had fans who loved him and have been affected by his passing, They have a right to grieve too.

And I should point out this was not a celebrity, this was a musician, someone who was famous for something, not someone who was famous because they were famous.

my distain is for the media which I think is well placed .....I do believe an opinion is still allowed on here that differs from the main !

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
GIR wrote:

my distain is for the media which I think is well placed .....I do believe an opinion is still allowed on here that differs from the main !

When you are talking about a 33 year old man who has died the opinion has to be respectful at least.

Posted on

How dare the Mail. I hope they get a big fine. What next? OJ proves all straight marriages don't work? :spike:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
GIR wrote:

When you are talking about a 33 year old man who has died the opinion has to be respectful at least.

explain when I was nasty about him ??? its very sad ...but no sadder than the soldiers that have died ....I see no thread for them .

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:When you are talking about a 33 year old man who has died the opinion has to be respectful at least.

explain when I was nasty about him ??? its very sad ...but no sadder than the soldiers that have died ....I see no thread for them .

That would be here:-

You have hinted that him, his life and death do not really count.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
GIR wrote:

WE have talked plenty of times about out troops who are dying

Posted on

GIR wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:When you are talking about a 33 year old man who has died the opinion has to be respectful at least.

That would be here:-

You have hinted that him, his life and death do not really count.

thats not nasty ...its just facts *motivated to react* is the key here ..the boy band part is true is it not ?
the news paper had printed an unkind article to get a reaction and sales ..it seems to have worked .

Posted on

So its a fact that he 'doesn't really count' is it?

Bra Burning Hippy

Posted on

She said the point of her column was to suggest that the death raised "many unanswered questions."

Mainly dreamed up in her evil, illiberal mind, I'd suggest.

Posted on

GIR wrote:So its a fact that he 'doesn't really count' is it?

your word dear not mine .....I would NEVER say that ..... :nono:

his death is no one's business but his closest ...it counts to them ...as it should .
feeling sad is one thing ..writing a nasty hit piece for sales is another .....

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:

Mainly dreamed up in her evil, illiberal mind, I'd suggest.

what the hell has it got to do with her any way ....oh I know ...sales and exposure ;)

Posted on

annie27 wrote:

his death is no one's business but his closest ...it counts to them ...as it should .

Really? I'll quote you again to refresh your memory.

Please try to keep up.

Bra Burning Hippy

Posted on

GIR wrote:
annie27 wrote:

Really? I'll quote you again to refresh your memory.

Please try to keep up.

and again ..its about the reaction to a stupid article that will have no real impact on peoples lives yet they respond in the thousand .... do you think his death is an issue that "really counts" to our daily lives or a personal private matter for his folk who have to live without him ... that was my point .

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Celebs