Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

'Fascists stole Cliff Euro victory'

Actress, Singer, Dancer. Model, Fashion designer, Perfume Seller, Author, Socialite and Cellulite!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Euro victory'
Sir Cliff Richard was robbed of victory in the 1968 Eurovision Song Contest due to vote rigging by General Franco's fascist regime, a documentary has claimed.

The British singer's tune Congratulations was beaten to the top spot by Spanish entrant Massiel in order to boost the country's international image, a film-maker said.

Sir Cliff's song had been a favourite with the judges during the competition held at the Royal Albert Hall, but lost out on the title by just one point following a last minute rally in votes for Spain.

In a documentary aired on Spanish TV on Sunday night, director Montse Fernandez Vila claimed Spain's win was "bought" by corrupt executives working for state-run television.

Ms Fernandez Vila told Spanish newspaper 20 Minutos that executives travelled round Europe pledging to buy series from other nations to help steer the voting.

She said there was evidence that Franco thought a win would help improve the Spanish regime's international standing.

Despite coming second to Massiel's La La La, Congratulations went on to become a UK number-one hit for Sir Cliff in 1968 and topped the charts in many other countries.

The song stayed at number one in Germany for seven weeks and sold more than one million copies.
http://news.uk.msn.com/Article.aspx?cp-documentid=8234313

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Bastards! :D :D

Posted on

Congratulations was written by Bill Martin and Phil Coulter.

While I'm no fan of Eurovision, it's sad if this is true. I've never liked the song Congratulations, but many thought it's commercial appeal would guarantee a UK victory in 1968. Quite a few people still mistake it as the winning song actually.

I thought Cliff's second entry some years later, Power To All Our Friends was a more melodic and subtle pop song.

Posted on

:eek: Political intrigue and toying for votes at Eurovision??!! Whoever heard the like :eek:

That pesky Franco, I knew he'd turn out to be no good in the end.

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

Posted on

I prefer that to Congratulations :oops:

Posted on

The whole event seems rife with petty rivalry to me. Since Iraq the UK hasn't fared very well and lots of votes seem to be based on friendship or disdain for other nations. It seems to have increased as well, despite the European Union's push for better relationships.

On that basis, the Eurovision's not really a fair contest anyway.

Posted on

Eurovision is never fair - that's the fun of it - after all the UK is always in the final - ALWAYs - (because of course we pay to be in it and miss out the semi's - much to the annoyance of other countries :D)

I have to admit Eurovision is the highlight of my year. :D

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

Geeg wrote:I have to admit Eurovision is the highlight of my year. :D

I love it as well. You can't beat it for an evening's televisual entertainment! :D It's coming from beautiful Beograd this year too which is even more of a treat. :thumb:

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Oh yeah, it can be fun for those who like it :) I get the impression people laugh at it more now than they used to actually. In the 60s / 70s it was more about the songs than the performers' outfits or character.

Although Agnetha from ABBA's silky blue trews had an impact on me :oops:

Posted on

Typical Johnny foreigner, we should have as little to do with them as possible. Sir Francis Drake knew how to deal with them, sink the buggers, it's the only language they understand. :mad1:

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Jim_UK wrote:Typical Johnny foreigner, we should have as little to do with them as possible. Sir Francis Drake knew how to deal with them, sink the buggers, it's the only language they understand. :mad1:

Now, If Britain had allowed arms through to the Republic instead of blockading Spain's rightful Government this would never have happened. To think the International Brigades were not only engaged in a struggle that if won could possibly have averted WWII but could also have gained Victory for Cliff in 1968. Of course, poetic justice was served up the following year with the aptly named Boom-Bang-A-Bang.

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Celebs