Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Rooney Marries his WAG

Actress, Singer, Dancer. Model, Fashion designer, Perfume Seller, Author, Socialite and Cellulite!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Rooney Marries his WAG

They may have spent £5million on their dream wedding but one thing Wayne Rooney and Coleen McLoughlin couldn't buy was the weather.

Since the couple's arrival on the Italian Riviera on Monday, the region had been blessed with bright blue skies, sunshine and 80-degree heat.

But as they made their vows in a civil service yesterday morning at the grand Villa Durazzo overlooking the Amalfi Coast, black clouds gathered and the heavens opened.

Wedding washout

Coleen's entourage tried their best to protect her from the worst of the weather with two umbrellas as she tottered off the £80million yacht RM Elegant in Genoa in killer five-inch white stilettos.

Dressed in a white, prom-style, strapless, calf-length gown, with a bodice embroidered with pearls, she was then whisked by a black Mercedes for the 30-minute journey to Villa Durazzo in nearby Santa Margherita.

The bride's mother

British and Italian security patrolled the grounds of the 17th-century stately home in a bid to protect a £2.5million OK! magazine deal.

The 20-minute service, which was translated from Italian, began shortly after 10am.

Coleen being shielded from photographers with umbrellas as she walks to her waiting car

Vehicles with blacked out windows took the couple and their guests into the Villa Durazzo

Vice Mayor Giovanni Costa
Just a dozen family members, including both sets of parents, attended the ceremony held in the Salone Degli Stucchi room, which is lit by a Louis XVI chandelier and has ornate 20ft ceilings and an elaborate balcony.

Coleen, 22, shed tears of joy as Santa Margherita Vice Mayor Gianni Costa pronounced them man and wife, and by the end of the ceremony most of the wedding party, apart from the groom, were also in tears. Both had a male and a female witness respectively.

Mr Costa said: 'They did not exchange rings, maybe because they are saving that for a religious ceremony. She had her hair loose and her dress was really beautiful.' He described Manchester United striker Wayne's outfit as a brown suit, with brown shirt but no tie.

Mr Costa had previously told of the town's unhappiness that the couple did not make a greater contribution for the use of the building, because of the additional security required, including at least a dozen police.

ImageImage

Full length and wag-u-lous: Machester United teammates and friends Wes Brown, and girlfriend Leanne Waffell, and John O' Shea with his partner

Outsiders wanting to hold weddings there are asked to pay between £1,500 and £2,400 but wealthy visitors often give more.
Meanwhile, the upmarket community of Santa Margherita was also underwhelmed by the fuss created by their arrival.

Wayne's mother Jeanetteright and a family member leave for the blessing and wedding reception

One guest was enjoying the free bar so much she took her champagne with her

One elderly resident who was stopped from entering Villa Durazzo's grounds by a burly bouncer said angrily: 'I go for a stroll here every morning,I've never been stopped from going in before. Who do these people think they are?'

Local paper Il Secolo cuttingly described the couple as having 'lots of money but little style'.

ImageImage

Guests have gone for high-octane glamour, and Coleen is rumoured to have funded several of them to the tune of £25,000 to avoid 'chaviness'

The guest list of 60 was surprisingly bereft of celebrities, with the only recognisable faces being 22-year-old Wayne's Manchester United team-mates Wes Brown, Michael Carrick and John O'Shea, and former Everton player Duncan Ferguson.

The lack of stars fuelled speculation of a rift between Coleen and the other Wags, who are known to be a highly competitive bunch.

After the civil ceremony, the newlyweds were taken to San Girolamo Chapel at the spectacular former monastery La Cervara for a Roman Catholic blessing performed by Liverpool priest Father Ned Quinn, who was flown out for the event.

Guests wore colourful chiffon platform heels accessorised with fashionable crutch bags

Coleen changed into her pure white, strapless £200,000 Marchesa- designed gown, which was reported to have a 25ft train and was walked up the aisle by her father Tony, 48.

The 40-minute service, in which Coleen and Wayne, who had changed into a grey suit, exchanged rings, was followed by a champagne and canapé reception in the cloisters, as a live band played a medley of Frank Sinatra songs.

True to form, the newlyweds reportedly decided against sophisticated fare, opting for a sit-down meal of pizza.

Wayne and Coleen's civil ceremony took place today at the Villa Durazzo

An interior view of Villa Durazzo where the civil marriage of
footballer Wayne Rooney and fiance Coleen McLoughlin took place,

The couple's choreographed first dance took place in the beautiful Wisteria Court as the sun set.

With a £50,000 firework display planned, guests were expected to party until the early hours. They were asked not to buy presents but to make donations to a children's hospital.

Half of the reported £5million bill for the wedding has been paid by OK! magazine, which earlier ordered the bride to fork out £25,000 on kitting out her friends and family.

Colette McLoughlin Coleen's mother arrives at the civil cermony with a family member

The OK! bosses were keen to avoid the ridicule Coleen has suffered in the past,notably during a group outing to Aintree races.

A source said: 'Coleen was told in no uncertain terms that the guests should look like they were at a top wedding. The magazine bosses were terrified they would turn up looking too chavvy.'

She set up an account at the WAGs' favourite boutique, Cricket, in Liverpool, and guests were invited to go in to choose their outfits, including bags and shoes.

'As you can imagine, the suggestion didn't go down too well with certain members of the family, and it caused quite a bit of upset and tension,' said the source.

'Around 50 guests had to be kitted out, for which Coleen had to fork out £25,000 from her own pocket."

The newlyweds, who have been together since they were 14, were believed to be spending their first night of married life at the Hotel Splendido in Portofino.

Today Rooney, who proposed on a petrol station forecourt in Liverpool four years ago, is due to whisk his wife off to Sardinia on the £75,000-a-day yacht they have at their disposal until Monday.

30-SECOND GUIDE TO THE NUPTIALS

THE DRESSES

The dress Coleen wore for the blessing ceremony was by New York designers Marchesa and cost £200,000, but the bride splashed out an extra £80,000 on having it fitted. The gown she wore for the civil ceremony beforehand cost £100,000 and was topped off with a £500 pair of cream Christian Louboutin shoes

THE GUESTS

To ensure her guests looked glamorous, Coleen forked out £25,000 to dress her friends at Cricket, the Liverpool boutique that is a favourite haunt of any self-respecting Wag. Guests were asked not to buy gifts but instead to make donations to Liverpool children's charities. The only notable Wag present at the ceremony was Michael Carrick's wife Lisa. England star Steven Gerrard and his wife Alex Curran went on holiday in Miami instead.

THE GLITZ

Irish pop group Westlife were paid £400,000 to entertain guests. Wayne, and Coleen spent an estimated £5million on the three-day event - more than 260 times the cost of the average British wedding.

Former Abbey La Cervara the venue for the wedding breakfast
for sixty of Wayne and Coleen's family and close friends,

The golden couple a couple days before their wedding

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Thanks for the Daily Mail moment to start my day. :) :pp:

Some random thoughts -

Congratulations to Mr Potato Head and Coleen.

What's a crutch bag? I thought of a bag for crutches or a bag to attach to crutches?

Or did the DM mean a crotch bag?

I'd have thought they'd have got Asda to provide the guests' clothing - and maybe stump up the other half of the five million cost. Though that might be far too chavvy for OK! magazine perhaps.

Does this count as aspirational stuff for some? What is the demographic of OK! readers?

£200,000 on a weeding dress, golly gosh.

The most worrying thing for me is that I read all of the article, I must still be drunk from last night. :oops:

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

yeap I read it all too!

Its like royal family stuff - cant stand them but I always read the articles.

That would have been interesting - an account at George at Asda for the wedding guests instead of Cricket in Liverpool.

I think the last time I went to a wedding I did indeed wear a George top actually - and it was perfectly adequate, if a bit nylony and over-flowery. But hey, thats maternity wear for you!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

So much for the wedding pictures being sold to Hello magazine in an exclusive deal. All you needed to do was a Google search and they are there for all to see!

Posted on

I dunno what's so special about the Coleen woman?

What's she done that is special?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

staroffurby wrote:So much for the wedding pictures being sold to Hello magazine in an exclusive deal. All you needed to do was a Google search and they are there for all to see!

:howl: :howl: :howl:

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I dunno what's so special about the Coleen woman?

What's she done that is special?

Well she just married a cash cow.

Oh I'm pleased it pissed down with Rain, I bet they wanted to marry in Italy to avoid the British weather.. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Really Loves the Place!
Location: I hate being ignored, I have left the building again.
Current Mood: totally fucked off.

Posted on

I smiled when I read it rained too... :o :D

Super Smegsterwegsta

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Celebs