Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Why do some people become obsessed with dead celebrities?

Actress, Singer, Dancer. Model, Fashion designer, Perfume Seller, Author, Socialite and Cellulite!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Having noticed the Heath Ledger Hysteria on another forum (it was his anniversary this week) it does make me wonder. Is it healthy to become so obsessed with a dead celebrity that you spend their anniversary in tears, re-watching films and professing your undying love for them?

I mean, I have been very sad to see great talents lost when someone dies, but I don't think I would lock myself in a dark room with a box of Kleenex on their anniversary and go totally OTT on an internet forum.

What do others think?

Posted on

You think as I do.

I cannot see why people obsess over Kurt Cobain, myself.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

I remember (just about!) when I was in my teens, and visited some paople whos house was a shrine to Elvis. Pictures, clocks, cushions, the lot. :eek:

I don't get it at all.... I was sad when John Lennon was shot, and I did cover my school files with pics of the Beatles - but TBH I was doing that anyway, there were just more pictures available when he was killed.

Perhaps it's a sort of escape from reality, worshipping someone to that extent? :confused:

Be yourself - everyone else is already taken.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Sahara
Current Mood: Sad

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote: Perhaps it's a sort of escape from reality, worshipping someone to that extent? :confused:

Do you know, I think that is probably it. Perhaps we should feel sympathy for people who sink so deep into a fantasy world. :confused:

Posted on

Felicity Funbags wrote:Having noticed the Heath Ledger Hysteria on another forum (it was his anniversary this week) it does make me wonder. Is it healthy to become so obsessed with a dead celebrity that you spend their anniversary in tears, re-watching films and professing your undying love for them?

I mean, I have been very sad to see great talents lost when someone dies, but I don't think I would lock myself in a dark room with a box of Kleenex on their anniversary and go totally OTT on an internet forum.

What do others think?

--------------------------

People did exactly the same when Diana,died,FF.... The route that her funeral cortege took,was lined with thousands weeping and wailing..

OK,it was terrible what happened to her,and I understand their sadness,but you didn't know her,FFS... !! Get over it...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Happy bunny

Posted on

Grief and sadness effect different people in different ways, some are only effected by the passing of people close to them, others feel the sadness of people they hardly know personally.
We tend to know so much about celebrities and politicians and sports stars that we actually feel we know them, and we are effected when they pass. I don't think it is wrong for people to be upset when a celebrity they know or admire dies, we are all different I guess.

Posted on

This is just from my point of view....I grew up with music which was skiffle ie Lonne Donegan etc, Tommy Steele then Elviis was on the scene..... :hmmm: Elvis came on the scene.....he at the time was to me and friends my *IDOL* he was elusive :chin: . but that was then many years ago.........He never toured Europe so maybe there is a mystery about the guy.

Anyway I'm going to fucking Graceland in April so boo hoo......... :spank: :finger: :finger:

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

But Dolls, visiting the place is not the same as the obsessional devotion you sometimes see. I've visited the Beatles museum in Liverpool, and I also want to visit Dali's birthplace & the places he painted - but that's the end of it, I don't live for either John Lennon or Dali. Some people seem to devote their lives to their 'chosen one'........ that's the odd part.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:But Dolls, visiting the place is not the same as the obsessional devotion you sometimes see. I've visited the Beatles museum in Liverpool, and I also want to visit Dali's birthplace & the places he painted - but that's the end of it, I don't live for either John Lennon or Dali. Some people seem to devote their lives to their 'chosen one'........ that's the odd part.

Awww Debs your a Dali lover :thumb:

OMG His paintings are fantastic......

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:
Deb Arkle wrote:But Dolls, visiting the place is not the same as the obsessional devotion you sometimes see. I've visited the Beatles museum in Liverpool, and I also want to visit Dali's birthplace & the places he painted - but that's the end of it, I don't live for either John Lennon or Dali. Some people seem to devote their lives to their 'chosen one'........ that's the odd part.

I love them! I'm not a big art lover generally, but surrealism just grabs me by the solar plexus somehow. I love the weirdness!

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

I didnt cry when Diana died - but I did for Donald Dewar.

I think often the grief isnt necessarily for the celeb, but for whatever may be going on in your own life - and it can be more a catalyst /outlet for emotions about something deeper. A convenient, subconcious hook, if you like.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I didnt cry when Diana died - but I did for Donald Dewar.

I think often the grief isnt necessarily for the celeb, but for whatever may be going on in your own life - and it can be more a catalyst /outlet for emotions about something deeper. A convenient, subconcious hook, if you like.

Yes, I think you're right. I felt nothing at all for Diana, but I saw the funeral on TV and the flowers spelling out 'mother' just broke me apart.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Deb Arkle wrote:
Dolls wrote:

I love them! I'm not a big art lover generally, but surrealism just grabs me by the solar plexus somehow. I love the [i]weirdness![/i]

Me too!! Years ago me an OH had a couple of huge prints of Dali's pics!. I bought me OH a wonderful book on all SD works..

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Bruce Lee is a classic example.
In the Martial Arts world, there are so many obsessives it's not true.

You can make a comparison with Jimi Hendrix.
I'm not convinced he was 'all that', and there were other players doing better things, but......you can't fight the dead.

John Lennon = Tragedy.
Elvis = I'm grateful. ;)

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

I think the thing is that a lot of people are upset WHEN someone they like dies. I have cried briefly when watching the news that a favourite singer or actor has died because I loved their music or thought they were a magical performer. (But then I cry watching the news sometimes!). But I didn't spend a year obsessing about them, watching their movies or playing their music over and over and crying for hours on their anniversary.

IMO it is healthy to say it's sad and shed a tear or two. But then you move on. The idea that some people turn rooms into their homes into shrines really freaks me out!!!!

When someone you know and love dies anniversaries and birthdays are so hard. But to behave like that over someone you never met or knew. That seems so strange to me.

Posted on

Danny_Mumbles wrote:
People did exactly the same when Diana,died,FF.... The route that her funeral cortege took,was lined with thousands weeping and wailing..

OK,it was terrible what happened to her,and I understand their sadness,but you didn't know her,FFS... !! Get over it...

:roll: :roll: :roll:

I SOBBED my heart out when that woman died. I was leaving for two weeks in the Algarve when I saw the news live and the funeral was during the holiday and I sat in my hotel room all day and cried my eyes out watching it. It was the tragedy of it that really hurt me. She was just beginning to find herself and her place in life....I still can't get over the senselessness of her death and it still has the power to make me cry.

Posted on

re the OP, I think maybe when someone dies you know they aren't going to produce any more of whatever it was about them that you like and you tend to hang on tightly to what they did produce in life......I don't have anyone I'm really into who has died but I would hate it if Ace Frehley died, for instance - and more so had he died before I had seen, heard, played and wore the t-shirt for all his work, like when I was a teenager, you know?....That reminds me I dreamt last night I was snogging him...... :rofl: Oh man, he's such an ugly bugger.......poor sod.

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I didnt cry when Diana died - but I did for Donald Dewar.

Yup......and that's a good thing....sometimes we need a good cry and it just won't come out for us, but when we see or hear of someone else's pain, it does.

Posted on

Have not got a clue unless it is because the living ones are so dull, self absorbed and narcissistic, the dead cannot speak.

On two rolls!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Celebs