Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

BBC sacks DJ for nigger mistake

Poptastic Mate! It's all for Charity!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Bloody stupid and totally OTT. The song was 'The Sun has Got His Hat On'. I doubt anyone (including the BBC Music Library) knew it contained the word 'Nigger'.

Fine Barman!

Posted on

chinchin wrote:Bloody stupid and totally OTT. The song was 'The Sun has Got His Hat On'. I doubt anyone (including the BBC Music Library) knew it contained the word 'Nigger'.

Agreed.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

So any DJ that plays this is in for the sack?

It's a "right on" song :shrug:

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

fucking ridiculous . once again people being offended for others that probably couldn't give a flying fuck :roll:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Ridiculous, although to be fair they did offer him his job back. Shouldn't have needed to come to that though. How is anyone supposed to know the words on every record. I don't suppose they had a 'radio edit' of records in 1932 and even if they did I doubt they'd have removed the word nigger anyway.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Worthy of a P50 ?

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

I'm not really into tin-foil hat theories about cultural-marxists ruling the western countries but having said that this collective national self-loathing which seems to be the agenda in every Western-European country can not be a co-incidence.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Suursuo wrote:I'm not really into tin-foil hat theories about cultural-marxists ruling the western countries but having said that this collective national self-loathing which seems to be the agenda in every Western-European country can not be a co-incidence.

Please elaborate :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

chinchin wrote:Bloody stupid and totally OTT. The song was 'The Sun has Got His Hat On'. I doubt anyone (including the BBC Music Library) knew it contained the word 'Nigger'.

Agree, it's bloody stupid and ridiculous IMO. Though I can see why Nigger can be offensive, I remember that It's 1 line in a funny song recorded at a time when attitudes were different, and I dont see how anyone can be offended by it, either then or now. Anyway it was played on a show likely to appeal to fans of 30's and 40's music. Shame on the idiot who complained :stomp:
He should have played 'The Laughing Coon' just to piss the BBC off :)
Soon we won't see the Funky Gibbon song anymore because of the ooo ooo ooo parts :groan:

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Posted on

grimtales1 wrote:Soon we won't see the Funky Gibbon song anymore because of the ooo ooo ooo parts :groan:

The Goodies would never use the word 'nigger' though

(they use 'great big black coon') :thumb:

Insane Poster

Posted on

grimtales1 wrote:

Agree, it's bloody stupid and ridiculous IMO.Though I can see why Nigger can be offensive , I remember that It's 1 line in a funny song recorded at a time when attitudes were different, and I dont see how anyone can be offended by it, either then or now. Anyway it was played on a show likely to appeal to fans of 30's and 40's music. Shame on the idiot who complained :stomp:
He should have played 'The Laughing Coon' just to piss the BBC off :)
Soon we won't see the Funky Gibbon song anymore because of the ooo ooo ooo parts :groan:

! have never found the work nigger offensive.....

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

Bit of double standards , d j sack for the word nigger , but as a DJ it's ok for him to play rap songs with the word nigger , song by black artist , why not ban all these famous black Rap artist from tv ,concerts and the radio that use the word nigger ,

Loves The place!

Posted on

Market wrote:Bit of double standards , d j sack for the word nigger , but as a DJ it's ok for him to play rap songs with the word nigger , song by black artist , why not ban all these famous black Rap artist from tv ,concerts and the radio that use the word nigger ,

Last time I heard it, The Sun Has Got His Hat On was not a rap song.

Though now I could believe a re-release might be on the cards. :hyenas:

Although later versions of the song dropped the word, the original lyrics featured the line: "He's been tanning niggers out in Timbuktu, now he's coming back to do the same to you."

Currently at 198,715 viewers, watch that figure climb.

Insane Poster

Posted on

The word was broadcast during the Dads Army Episode "Keep Young and Beautiful" so maybe the whole cast should fall on their swords.

Insane Poster

Posted on

Can somebody sack Cadbury's for their Egg & Spoon racist tasty treat.

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.
Winston Churchill

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: aid flotilla my arse.

Posted on

There are lots of examples that could be cited in respect of "the N word" (sometimes played by the British bullshitting corp).That just goes to show the hypocrisy within the establishment that is supposed to represent balanced, unbiased & impartial reporting & neutrality across all aspects but fail continually depending on whose on the receiving end. :roll:
Too many words today are deemed to offend others, (not that I know but, I'm told) 50 years ago life was a lot less complicated, they were taught stick & stones etc, I do not condone attacking any other person with words that offend them (because of skin pigmentation).

I feel its no longer possible to just speak freely because one first has to analyse if any words may offend (that's half the reason this site is growing on me :D ).
Great Britain used to be known as the backbone of europe which is quite ironic considering how spineless our 'leaders' have been over the past 30 years when it comes to standing up to people whining.

On three rolls!!

Posted on

crumbs wrote:People should be allowed to say anything they want to. People, on the whole, are generally good. Society would police itself and those who live in the cesspit of society would be shunned naturally.

I fucking hate political correctness. People need to have the balls to lay their cards on the table. Everyone has a prejudice and people would actually get along better with each other if they understood each others plus and minus points.

Anything?

Should people be allowed to incite violence,for example calling for the mass murder of one group of people? What about slander, lible, etc

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
crumbs wrote:People should be allowed to say anything they want to. People, on the whole, are generally good. Society would police itself and those who live in the cesspit of society would be shunned naturally.

I fucking hate political correctness. People need to have the balls to lay their cards on the table. Everyone has a prejudice and people would actually get along better with each other if they understood each others plus and minus points.

Anything?

Should people be allowed to incite violence,for example calling for the mass murder of one group of people? What about slander, lible, etc

I would argue that it's much better to have people shouting their mouth off for all to hear than be afraid to speak out in public. All that gagging people does is drive them underground. I'd rather know who and where the nutters are and what their real agenda is. Rather than a sanitised version for the public and the real agenda underground.........see the BNP for an example.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

I would argue that it's much better to have people shouting their mouth off for all to hear than be afraid to speak out in public. All that gagging people does is drive them underground.

Doesn't always work though, and if this were the case Brand would still have a job at the BBC.

Best remove some stuff from the idiot pool, society doesn't always remove the detritus by itself.

Insane Poster

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

Anything?

I would argue that it's much better to have people shouting their mouth off for all to hear than be afraid to speak out in public. All that gagging people does is drive them underground. I'd rather know who and where the nutters are and what their real agenda is. Rather than a sanitised version for the public and the real agenda underground.........see the BNP for an example.

The problem is that can mean actual violence if someone influential starts calling for group X to be killed and the pitchfork chavs start hinting people down.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Radio