Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Favourite Movie All Time

Hollywood meets Popcorn!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Hey guys what is your Favourite Movie Of All Time I think mine has to be The Day After Tomorrow, what about you guys?

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

Mine has to be Psycho with 'The Birds' in hot pursuit. Alfred Hitchcock was THE master of suspense :thumb:

Course that's just 'a matter of opinion', to quote the Smeggy's slogan :rofl:

Posted on

Jean de Florette & Manon des Sources. I know thats two films technically but they are best watched as a pair.

Posted on

Welsh_Guy - try here http://www.smeggys.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=245

guide to posting videos

actually its very easy !( I can do it!)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:Welsh_Guy - try here http://www.smeggys.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=245

guide to posting videos

actually its very easy !( I can do it!)

Thanks for the tip Whirliegig I think it was partly due to me trying to post videos when Youtube was down for the 2 hours thanks to Pakistans blocking efforts.

There hopefully that should work.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

My favourite film of all time is Psycho. Alfred Hitchcock is my favourite director as well. If you watch his cinematography you'll see so many clever touches.

Psycho was a turning point in the film world. The way the leading lady, a famous Hollywood actress at the time, was used in the film was mould breaking. The critics slated it, but audiences flocked to see it. I've even got books on Psycho :)

Hitchcock was much admired by later directors like Brian DePalma and Steven Spielberg who used many of his techniques.

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:My favourite film of all time is Psycho. Alfred Hitchcock is my favourite director as well. If you watch his cinematography you'll see so many clever touches.

Psycho was a turning point in the film world. The way the leading lady, a famous Hollywood actress at the time, was used in the film was mould breaking. The critics slated it, but audiences flocked to see it. I've even got books on Psycho :)

Hitchcock was much admired by later directors like Brian DePalma and Steven Spielberg who used many of his techniques.

That is so true.... I remember being very shocked that the leading lady did not turn out to be the heroin and slowly moved her way up to a happy end, but instead was murdered halfway the movie. Unbelievable... a turning point indeed.

A personal favourite of mine is Mike Leigh's Meantime. Grim, bleak and great performances especially by Tim Roth, Pam Ferris and Phil Daniels. Loved the music as well.

On a roll!

Posted on

Sonne wrote:That is so true.... I remember being very shocked that the leading lady did not turn out to be the heroin and slowly moved her way up to a happy end, but instead was murdered halfway the movie. Unbelievable... a turning point indeed.

A personal favourite of mine is Mike Leigh's Meantime. Grim, bleak and great performances especially by Tim Roth, Pam Ferris and Phil Daniels. Loved the music as well.

I'll look out for Meantime Sonne, I haven't seen that :thumb:

In the original Psycho novel, Norman Bates is middle aged and fat. Hitchcock's choice of handsome young movie star Anthony Perkins for the part was a master stroke :cool1:

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:
Sonne wrote:That is so true.... I remember being very shocked that the leading lady did not turn out to be the heroin and slowly moved her way up to a happy end, but instead was murdered halfway the movie. Unbelievable... a turning point indeed.

I'll look out for Meantime Sonne, I haven't seen that :thumb:

In the original Psycho novel, Norman Bates is middle aged and fat. Hitchcock's choice of handsome young movie star Anthony Perkins for the part was a master stroke :cool1:

I did not know that Musty..interesting and so much more cliche than the movie? What about the 'Janet Leigh' part in the novel? Did she play more of a minor part in the book than she did in the film?

And yes, making the romantic-looking leading man a sick murderer was another shocker and a stroke of genius.

On a roll!

Posted on

Sonne wrote:I did not know that Musty..interesting and so much more cliche than the movie? What about the 'Janet Leigh' part in the novel? Did she play more of a minor part in the book than she did in the film?

And yes, making the romantic-looking leading man a sick murderer was another shocker and a stroke of genius.

No, as I remember it Marian Crane is portrayed the same way as in the film and gets 'taken out' at about the same time. It's mainly Norman who's different; a fair haired, overweight middle aged man. In the novel he's explained in greater detail and avidly reads books about cannibalism etc.

But the film's Norman Bates is a much better character because he seems so all American and clean cut as you say. Hitchcock actually surpassed many of novelist Robert Bloch's original ideas in the movie IMO.

Posted on

The Fifth Element has to be my fave.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

The good the bad and the ugly

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Can't say there's one, I like movies, but for the sake of the thread I'll say 24 Hour Party People :thumb:

not so noobywooby
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun

Posted on

I think mine has to be - To catch a killer starring Brian Dennehy. This was a movie about serial killerJohn Wayne Gacy.Dennehy played the role very well. Very believable.

nooby
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Hmmm.

I don't really have just the one all timer. Be easier if it was in genre.
For the sake of this thread let's say..........
Bourne Series. All 3 of em tbh. Matt does a quality job. The filming is unusual which made it seem Real. The Story is a great one. Love the books also.

Woof, Woof!
Come ere and I Hump ya leg you bitch!

nooby

Posted on

Empire of the Sun is one of my favourites

Posted on

Brief Encounter

Pleasantville

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

Oh bugger........I just pressed the 'return' button for some reason and lost my post......... :doh:

Short version.......

I like some of the ones mentionned........Pleasantville, Fifth Element

I like Trading Places and Arthur

I like 'The Goodbye Girl' and 'How the west was Won'

Singin' In the Rain, the original 42nd Street

More recent stuff........Sin City was good.

Pan's Labyrinth was fantastic

There must be a film I've seen that was a serious film rather than 'mere' entertainment........that I thought 'Wow, that is a serious good film'........but I can't think what it is.

Posted on

I can't decide on a favourite film, but in general I like the dialogue-driven emotional kind of film, more than action stuff. Anyway some of what is on my DVD shelf:

Heights
Before Sunrise / Before Sunset
A Streetcar Named Desire
Stand By Me
Cyrano de Bergerac
The 24th Day
Gattaca
Dead Poets Society
White Squall (basically Dead Poets on the sea)

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

I loved White Squall. It was one of those 'nothing else on' films that really surprised.

More I like - The Big Chill. Great ensemble cast and soundtrack. All of Me, when Steve Martin was still funny and Local Hero which is just a wee gem.

Next

Return to Movies