Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The Dark Knight

Hollywood meets Popcorn!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Oh how I so longed to like this film. It's been getting rave reviews. Although I've hated every film Christopher Nolan has directed to date, I was hoping that I would be converted and finally see the light.

It was just abysmal. Zero plot and humour, weighed down with a sense of pretence and moral piety, it's Nolan's worst work to date. Christian Bale was wooden and seemed to think he was playing James Bond as opposed to Batman (one third of the movie plays out like a Pierce Brosnan era Bond movie) and Ledger was, well..... no one is willing to say that the emperor has no clothes, but let's just say that it's not Ledger's fault that he was told to do a silly Saturday Night Live-style Vincent Price impression for two hours.

When is someone going to stand up and say that Chris Nolan is an overrated, pretentious hack?

There, I just did.

:mad1: :mad1: :mad1:

On a roll!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

Hiya bacchus :) Nice to cya back. Or should I say "it's nice to see you bacchus"? Too cheesy, I'll stick with the original!

Ledger RIP of course, but the poor guy's death seems to have been attacked by a parasites exploiting his sad demise to market movies. Clips of him in this film have been accompanied by claims of him being some kind of intense quality actor yet what I've seen is.. well OK, good even, but nothing that raises any hairs on the back of my neck.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

hi Bacchus :wave: good to see you again

the film seems to be breaking box office records in the States, such is its appeal/hype.

Its been given a 12A rating here which is apparently quite controversial. What are your thoughts on that - should it have been a 15 as many would prefer?

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Oh no... don't touch Christopher Nolan.. Memento is a masterpiece....

I've not seen Dark Knight yet, but my son is ready to go for a second time to have an even closer look on how Heath Ledger does the Joker...

I have high expectations of it as well. The rottentomatoes reviews are raving too:

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_dark_knight/

'an angel has no memory'

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Bacchus wrote:Oh how I so longed to like this film. It's been getting rave reviews. Although I've hated every film Christopher Nolan has directed to date, I was hoping that I would be converted and finally see the light.

It was just abysmal. Zero plot and humour, weighed down with a sense of pretence and moral piety, it's Nolan's worst work to date. Christian Bale was wooden and seemed to think he was playing James Bond as opposed to Batman (one third of the movie plays out like a Pierce Brosnan era Bond movie) and Ledger was, well..... no one is willing to say that the emperor has no clothes, but let's just say that it's not Ledger's fault that he was told to do a silly Saturday Night Live-style Vincent Price impression for two hours.

When is someone going to stand up and say that Chris Nolan is an overrated, pretentious hack?

There, I just did.

Thanks for that, won't be going to see that now. Although I think The Prestige was an OK film, he completely buggered around with the original book and you just wonder why?

Posted on

Great special effects and great acting by Ledger, but the film was over long and with a not very interesting plot I thought :thumb: :thumbdown:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

The Dark Knight: 4.25/5

Very good film, if not excellent. Impressive :)

Don't bash Ledger! He is amazing as The Joker, :eek4: a world away from Jack Nicholson's panto performance, Ledger's Joker is one of genuine anarchic terror.
Whilst I think Ledger's death has cast a shadow on the film, don't forget he was recieving praise for his performance BEFORE he died and the film is supposed to focus on The Joker, no?
I found the writing very sharp, especially for a comic book film, and it's very dark in places
spoiler:
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
particularly towards the end when Harvey Dent becomes 2 Face

. For a 12a this is a very violent film, it should have been a 15 IMO.

There were a few niggles, Bale's especially gruff voice when in the role of "Batman" was very hard to understand and I couldnt very well hear him! Also I thought the
spoiler:
bat sonar

was overused a bit! I can understand
spoiler:
why he'd use it, I mean he's a bat, and bats hear/see with sonar right? But the revelation he was using it to spy on people made him no better than the criminals. Harvey Dent seemed to become 2 Face (ie descend into badness) a bit quickly.

His make up was quite strong for a 12a!

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Posted on

Well I found Ledgers Portrayal of The Joker quite good, it reminded me of Andrew J Robinson's portrayal of "The 'Scorpio' Killer" in Dirty Harry.

Onwards and Upwards

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Bacchus wrote:Oh how I so longed to like this film. It's been getting rave reviews. Although I've hated every film Christopher Nolan has directed to date, I was hoping that I would be converted and finally see the light.

There, I just did.

My partner and I watched it. Well the truth of the matter is, I thought it pretty dire and was losing interest - but from half way through I can't comment as I fell asleep and missed the rest. My partner decided it wasn't worth waking me and watched the rest. He thought it was the worst Batman film by far. It's not one either of us can recommend (particularly difficult for me who slept through half of it :oops: :D ) - but some like it, so I think it is a case of judge for yourselves - although most reviewers seem to agree it is about an hour too long.

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

Geeg, I think you're falling asleep half way through, kind of speaks volumes as a review.

Although, one of my favourite films is Gosford Park, and I know people who have fallen asleep during it. So definitely a subjective reaction!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Even though the story in the film was slightly weak I found Heath Ledger's perform as the Joker pretty good and its a shame hes gone.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Return to Movies