Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Noel Gallagher "quitting Oasis"

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8228053.stm

Noel Gallagher has announced he is quitting rock band Oasis because he can no longer work with his brother Liam.

Noel, the founding member of the band, made the statement on the band's website. He said a series of rows with his brother led to the decision.

The guitarist said: "It's with some sadness and great relief to tell you that I quit Oasis tonight.

"People will write and say what they like, but I simply could not go on working with Liam a day longer."

"Apologies to all the people who bought tickets for the shows in Paris, Konstanz and Milan," he added.

'Gutted'

Earlier it was announced the band had cancelled their second gig in the space of a week because of "an altercation within the band".

They had been expected to play the Rock en Seine festival in Paris, but fans at the concert were told by the support band that Oasis would not be performing.

Many of the crowd thought it was a joke - until screens at either side of the stage showed the message "as a result of an altercation within the band, the Oasis gig has been cancelled".

Oasis fans used Twitter to respond to the news that lead guitarist Noel had quit.

'Worst day ever'

PsychedelicAdam posted: "Noel Gallagher leaves Oasis? Gutted, no more Oasis then I guess, they were one of my favourite bands."

Wolvolass said: "I feel sick, sooo many good memories and gigs seeing Oasis over the years."

MattGriffin added: "This is the worst day ever."

On Sunday the band had also cancelled their headline slot at the V Festival in Essex after Liam was diagnosed with viral laryngitis.

They performed in Stafford on Saturday but the singer was advised by doctors not to perform again.

Posted on

Management have stated that Oasis are no more.

Posted on

I think it will be good for Noel, give him the freedom a writer needs. Maybe the best is yet to come.

Posted on

Shame. Oasis were an excellent band. great songs,charismatic vocals and pure 'rock and roll' lifestyles. I'll never forget seeing a picture of Noel Gallagher on the wall of the Capital Radio cafe in Leicester Sq some years ago. His eyes were like dinner plates. He was completely off his face!! A classic shot that said it all really :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Nothing more than a publicity stunt. I would have thought after 18 years the public would have got wise to this.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:Nothing more than a publicity stunt. I would have thought after 18 years the public would have got wise to this.

yup ...ticket sales will convince them they owe it to their public !! :rofl:
Beatles wanna bee,s ! :D

Posted on

Oasis were the sound of a generation, THE band of the 1990's. I think this is the end that has been a long time coming, we shall see.

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:Oasis were the sound of a generation, THE band of the 1990's.

I think it's best to agree by disagreeing on that point.

Gallagher (Noel) went into the band with the claim he was going to make them famous via the publicity.

'Noel approached the group about joining with the proviso that he would become the band's sole songwriter and leader, and that they would commit to an earnest pursuit of commercial success'.

So much for becoming successful through the musical talent of a band....

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:Oasis were the sound of a generation, THE band of the 1990's. I think this is the end that has been a long time coming, we shall see.

I missed the whole thing ( I was abroad ) ....but I do like them ...its the scouse in me :D but as great characters ...unlike the fab four they are rubbish ...just angry Mancs .....never a good thing ! :D

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:

Gallagher (Noel) went into the band with the claim he was going to make them famous via the publicity.

'Noel approached the group about joining with the proviso that he would become the band's sole songwriter and leader, and that they would commit to an earnest pursuit of commercial success'.

Well as a 'band' they were rubbish. Noel's songwriting and Liam's Manc drawl vocals made it. Anyone else could have been on bass and drums.

IMHO of course :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:

Well as a 'band' they were rubbish. Noel's songwriting and Liam's Manc drawl vocals made it. Anyone else could have been on bass and drums.

IMHO of course :)

For me Oasis finished when 'Bones' left, just wasn't the same.

Posted on

never rated them at all.

i won't be loosing sleep over their demise nor seek councelling (sp).

meh!!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

NG wrote and sung the theme tune for the Royle Family didnt he?

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Dolls wrote:NG wrote and sung the theme tune for the Royle Family didnt he?

Posted on

Another massive bout of indifference here. I agree with Robs. *shrugs shoulders*
A few good hits, but loathesome little oiks.

Posted on

Thanks very much for those clips Martyn. :thumb: I must admit I liked some of their stuff,some of their stuff are haunting songs! I always thought that they *pinched* alot of beatlesque type stuff. one clip there in the vid when they are walking on a zebra crossing :hmmm: Very Abbey Road. Yes I know they were ardent fans of FF

NG can go it alone any day he doesnt need his brother *cos he aint heavy* :oops: :rofl:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

I must say that the surprising thing about the news was the realisation that Oasis were still playing. What have they been doing the last, say, 13 years?

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Suursuo wrote:I must say that the surprising thing about the news was the realisation that Oasis were still playing. What have they been doing the last, say, 13 years?

Eff all really I think.

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Suursuo wrote:I must say that the surprising thing about the news was the realisation that Oasis were still playing. What have they been doing the last, say, 13 years?

Albums

# Be Here Now (1997)
# The Masterplan (1998)
# Standing on the Shoulder of Giants (2000)
# Heathen Chemistry (2002)
# Don't Believe the Truth (2005)
# Stop the Clocks (2006)
# Dig Out Your Soul (2008)

Next

Return to Music