Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Beatles stuff on BBC2 . . . .

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

. . . for any interested in ancient history.

Think I'll watch some of it - contains 'unseen footage'.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Still watching . . .

I'd forgotten how many good toons they did. Realised that I have nothing in my present musack collection by The Beatles, so I'm doing them the honour of stealing all their stuff in FLAC format from Pirate Bay. ;) Was it Michael Jackson who owned the rights to their back catalogue? He won't care now, will he?

<runs from music industry police> :bugs:

:colin:

Nutter!!

Posted on

Ha ha,they're out to get you. I'm taping it for future viewing.

Highway Star
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

Although I do sympathise with the Artistes the Music and Hollywood Industry get's no sympathy from me.

The Beatles ( lennon and McCartney ) did write a squillion great tunes. Can't be denied. None of them have ever raised the hairs on the back of my neck though ( Ok a bit of a lie, Hey Jude does ) unless covered by other artistes. Earth Wind and Fire's version of Got to get you into my Life is stunning.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

The thing that always stands out for me (apart from the music of course :) ), was their ability to handle the media interviews without any of the coaching which today's stars (and politicians) have. Also, they weren't warned of the questions or the mood of the interviewers in advance. No real minders either, and I had never realised until now just how chaotic the first US tour was.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. Ambrose Bierce (1842-1913)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare. The internet has proved that this is not the case...

Grand Master

Posted on

John Lennon probably 'mis-spoke' when he said the following though -

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

You won't hear Liam Gallagher saying things like that even when stoned - he knows which side his bread is buttered. ;)

Nutter!!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Although I do sympathise with the Artistes the Music and Hollywood Industry get's no sympathy from me.

The Beatles ( lennon and McCartney ) did write a squillion great tunes. Can't be denied. None of them have ever raised the hairs on the back of my neck though ( Ok a bit of a lie, Hey Jude does ) unless covered by other artistes. Earth Wind and Fire's version of Got to get you into my Life is stunning.

I do like a lot of The Yellow Submarine era, plus Magical Mystery Tour, Norwegian Wood, but Paul's solo of 'Blackbird' at a royal tribute some ten years ago was probably the stealer.

Brilliant songwriters and performers, the lot of them. Puts everything that has come out of the Liverpool area since to shame (with maybe the exception of The Teardrop Explodes).

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

diablo wrote:John Lennon probably 'mis-spoke' when he said the following though -

"Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I needn't argue with that; I'm right and I will be proved right. We're more popular than Jesus now; I don't know which will go first - rock 'n' roll or Christianity. Jesus was all right but his disciples were thick and ordinary. It's them twisting it that ruins it for me."

You won't hear Liam Gallagher saying things like that even when stoned - he knows which side his bread is buttered. ;)

Well, looking at the UK, which is what I imagine he was referring to in those days, what percentage of Christians in the UK attend church every Sunday compared with 1968? How many supermarkets are open on a Sunday? What happened to Songs of Praise? Who listens to or acts on the Archbishop of Canterburys' opinion?
Is the Pope still as powerful as he was 40 years ago?
It caused a huge fuss in the mid-west USA, (as it would today), but I don't think anyone on this side of the Atlantic was seriously worried by it. After all, the quote appreared in a UK 'heavy' but took months to cross the Atlantic, and surprise, surprise, appeared just as the Beatles were about to start their tour.

They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare. The internet has proved that this is not the case...

Grand Master

Posted on

He wasn't wrong to think it, but actually saying it out loud may not have been wise. :)

Nutter!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:He wasn't wrong to think it, but actually saying it out loud may not have been wise. :)

It's certainly never been forgotten, nor will it be I guess.

Grand Master

Posted on

tango15 wrote:
diablo wrote:He wasn't wrong to think it, but actually saying it out loud may not have been wise. :)

It's certainly never been forgotten, nor will it be I guess.

Well, I suppose as the first one of the four to get his comeuppance, he is probably thinking - twat.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music