Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Rage Against Machine For Xmas Number One

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

annie27 wrote:I have NO idea what you are talking about :rofl: ....you know me a dinosaur when it come to techno stuff .....I would say all a bit Chinese ..but I do speak a fair bit ... :) I assumed the money was made through downloads ...what ever the fuck that means :D

Same here annie :oops: :doh:

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Whoop whoop!

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
well if Sony are raking money from both camps its a win win situation for them very clever marketing :thumb: :howl:

And everyone else downloads it for free from torrents or Limewire.

Record companies/Publishing companies make their money from PRS more than MCPS these days.

I have NO idea what you are talking about :rofl: ....you know me a dinosaur when it come to techno stuff .....I would say all a bit Chinese ..but I do speak a fair bit ... :) I assumed the money was made through downloads ...what ever the fuck that means :D

PRS = Performing Rights Society - they collect Royalties for public performence of recordings or live gigs. i.e every Radio/TV station has to pay royalties to the publishers/songwriters for the tunes it plays.

MCPS = Mechanical copyright Protection society. This collects royalties for writers.publishers for tangible recordings..vinyl/CD/downloads.

Most of the money is made through publishing/songwriting usually a 50:50 to 75:25 s[plit between writer:publisher and msot of it is made through public performenace given the large amount of radio and TV stations these days and the decline of peopleactually buying records ( vynil/CD/downloads )

Essentially it means the record companies whinging about illegal downloads is not as severe as they make out.

Everyone I know made cassette copies of albums and distributed them amongst friends in the 1970s. don't belive the corporate whinging!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Tess Tickles wrote:
annie27 wrote:I have NO idea what you are talking about :rofl: ....you know me a dinosaur when it come to techno stuff .....I would say all a bit Chinese ..but I do speak a fair bit ... :) I assumed the money was made through downloads ...what ever the fuck that means :D

Same here annie :oops: :doh:

:D Good for us ....not sucked in by the Sony Hoax and double money spinning machine :howl: I stay away from all this new techno (I want to invade your life ) shite

Posted on

Looks like RATM will be No 1 :D

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

I still need you there beside me
No matter what I do
For I know
I'll never find another you
- The Seekers

"Life is what happens to you when you're away making other plans" - John Lennon

"Names Gene Hunt, your DCI and its 1973. Almost dinner time. I'm havin' hoops!"

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: What a shitload of fuck

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:To add my two penneth worth, I don't think that the whole RAtM thing has anything against this Joe McElderberry fellow. I think he's just a bystander in it.

I think the "battle" is all about Simon Cowell, but not just him in particular. I think it's people trying to cock a snoot at Mr Cowell's ilk for being fed the same formulaic dreck year after year on that show.

The X-factor churns out singers who devoid of personality and are the musical equivalent of beige. IMO.

You are right Guns - I dont think the Campaign is anti Joe - I was happy he won BTW, and just because RATM are signed to Sony/Epic doesnt mean he makes a cut every time a Sony artist sells units. He'll make naff all from RATM. He owns SYCO not Sony.
Its not Joe I mind, its Cowell - thinking he has a god given right to Xmas No. 1 every year with his lazy songs.

"Who does the washing? Who does the drying? No one, with this washer dryer" - Jim Bowen

No matter what I do
For I know
- The Seekers

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I heard bits of both songs on the radio this morning. Disliked both equally. :):

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

grimtales1 wrote:Looks like RATM will be No 1 :D

It is, by 50,000 copies.

Rock band Rage Against The Machine has won the most competitive battle in years for the Christmas number one.

The band's single, Killing In The Name, sold 500,000 downloads beating X Factor winner Joe McElderry's The Climb by 50,000 copies to clinch the top spot.

Their success followed a Facebook campaign designed to prevent another X Factor number one.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8423340.stm

I quite like the RATM song actually. :thumb: :thumb:

PA to Jez Kyle
Current Mood: run down, fed up

Posted on

About time the X-Fuctor was beaten. but given they are both from the same record company ad it was an artificial war then bollocks to 'em :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Whoop-whoop-whoopity-whoop!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee: :yippee:

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: Whoop whoop!

Posted on

I havent heard that since 1993, I quite liked it when I heard it on the radio :D If you listen to the lyrics its really about police brutality and racism but is kind of a "Fuck you" to Cowell as well - great :D

No matter what I do
For I know
- The Seekers

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

grimtales1 wrote:
Gunner 51 wrote:To add my two penneth worth, I don't think that the whole RAtM thing has anything against this Joe McElderberry fellow. I think he's just a bystander in it.

I think the "battle" is all about Simon Cowell, but not just him in particular. I think it's people trying to cock a snoot at Mr Cowell's ilk for being fed the same formulaic dreck year after year on that show.

The X-factor churns out singers who devoid of personality and are the musical equivalent of beige. IMO.

You are right Guns - I dont think the Campaign is anti Joe - I was happy he won BTW, and just because RATM are signed to Sony/Epic doesnt mean he makes a cut every time a Sony artist sells units. He'll make naff all from RATM. He owns SYCO not Sony.
Its not Joe I mind, its Cowell - thinking he has a god given right to Xmas No. 1 every year with his lazy songs.

It was kind of funny to hear that RATM claim the top stop from right under Mr Cowell's nose. Less coffers in Simon Cowell's pockets can only be a good thing. And hopefully a blow for the cause of less manufactured and formulaic music in the charts these days.

Who knows, maybe next year someone should suggest Rob Zombie to get the top spot for Christmas to really kick sand in Mr Cowell's face. :) :howl: :howl: :howl:

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

:D I'm just glad there WAS a battle TBH, havent seen this sort of thing for years :D
I thought Joe had a great voice and he sang really well on XF.

No matter what I do
For I know
- The Seekers

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I'm kind of Glad RATM machine got number 1 in the end after listening to the X Factor on the Radio today I found it kind it of Bland in some ways I know the other song isn't great either but it kind of sends a message to Cowell that people don't want to accept the same manufactured Pop of X Factor every year.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Posted on

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music