Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Abbey Road up for sale!!??

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Abbey Road up for sale!!??

I would be very sad to see Abbey Road go. Paul McCartney oughta buy it himself. It's not like he can't afford it

Sir Paul McCartney hopes Abbey Road can be saved

All you need is muff!
da-da-da-d'-daaa!!!
Sir Paul McCartney has told the BBC he hopes the famous Abbey Road Studios can be saved, after reports that it has been put up for sale by owner EMI.

Selling the studios, best known for being the place where the Beatles recorded their albums, could raise £30m for the debt-stricken record company.

Sir Paul told the Newsnight programme some people associated with the studio may be "mounting some bid to save it".

EMI and its private equity owner Terra Firma have declined to comment.

It is not known if any sale would see the site continue as a record studios or be converted for another use.

"There are a few people who have been associated with the studio for a long time who were talking about mounting some bid to save it," said Sir Paul.

"I sympathise with them. I hope they can do something, it'd be great."

Zebra crossing

EMI recently revealed that it needs to raise more than £100m from investors to prevent it from breaching its banking arrangements with US lending giant Clitigroup.

Earlier this month, the record company also reported a pre-tax loss of £1.75bn for the year to 31 March 2009.

Abbey Road Studios still draws Beatles fans from around the world, many of whom pose for photographs on the nearby zebra crossing to imitate the front cover of the Beatles' last recorded album, Abbey Road.

The building in the St John's Wood area of London is a converted 1831 Georgian townhouse.
Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Sir Edward Elgar with Yehudi Menuhin on the steps of Abbey Road before recording the Violin Concerto in 1932.
Got a copy of that somewhere - on vinyl rather than shellac. :):

Not as much demand for big recording studios in London these days I reckon. Will probably become a pole dancing club.

People will still be prancing about on the zebra crossing for decades I suppose.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Bad bad bad and sad news. I hope Mr. McCartney who is being so vocal about this matter is prepared to stump up some of his own millions for the cause!

Regarding the pedestrian crossing - I went to the Abbey Road website earlier today and they have a live webcam on the crossing! Whilst I watched it for a couple of minutes, the number of people posing on the crossing was amazing - and also a group of Japanese girls unveiled some large banners with peace and love messages on them and had their photos taken. Seems to be a real mecca - and it isn't even the same crossing!

Anyway, Abbey Road, not because of the beatles but because of its long history and prominence should be considered something of a national treasure. Whoever ends up owning it, I hope they know what they are doing and what they've got.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Maybe the KNOB that is Ringo Starr will pray to his GOD for devine intervention ;)
http://news.uk.msn.com/uk/articles.aspx ... =152006047

because he will NEVER be welcome back in liverpool :mad:

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:Bad bad bad and sad news. I hope Mr. McCartney who is being so vocal about this matter is prepared to stump up some of his own millions for the cause!

Regarding the pedestrian crossing - I went to the Abbey Road website earlier today and they have a live webcam on the crossing! Whilst I watched it for a couple of minutes, the number of people posing on the crossing was amazing - and also a group of Japanese girls unveiled some large banners with peace and love messages on them and had their photos taken. Seems to be a real mecca - and it isn't even the same crossing!

Anyway, Abbey Road, not because of the beatles but because of its long history and prominence should be considered something of a national treasure. Whoever ends up owning it, I hope they know what they are doing and what they've got.

The Japanese seem to be the biggest Beatles fans in the world don't they? :)

Paul McCartney was on the news just now saying he hopes someone can save it. For fuck's sale just buy it yourself!!!!

My Abbey Road anecdote is being sent over there to pick up a 24 track Tape. I was working at a studio not far away ( Red Bus ). I remember sitting in the foyer and a guy in a very expensive suit sat next to me. It only dawned on me who it was as I got up to leave. It was John Entwistle :eek:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:My Abbey Road anecdote is being sent over there to pick up a 24 track Tape. I was working at a studio not far away ( Red Bus ). I remember sitting in the foyer and a guy in a very expensive suit sat next to me. It only dawned on me who it was as I got up to leave. It was John Entwistle :eek:

Who????

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:
smeggypants wrote:My Abbey Road anecdote is being sent over there to pick up a 24 track Tape. I was working at a studio not far away ( Red Bus ). I remember sitting in the foyer and a guy in a very expensive suit sat next to me. It only dawned on me who it was as I got up to leave. It was John Entwistle :eek:

Who????

Yup that's the one. Sadly dead now.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:

Who????

:howl: was he in the Who ? ...or/and was Lord Nibbler asking who ????? :howl: too funny :D

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:

Who????

:howl: was he in the Who ? ...or/and was Lord Nibbler asking who ????? :howl: too funny :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Image

Sir Edward Elgar with Yehudi Menuhin on the steps of Abbey Road before recording the Violin Concerto in 1932.
Got a copy of that somewhere - on vinyl rather than shellac. :):

Not as much demand for big recording studios in London these days I reckon. Will probably become a pole dancing club.

People will still be prancing about on the zebra crossing for decades I suppose.

What an amazing picture!! :cheers:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:

Who????

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Entwistle

cheers ...I actually did remember his name ..just not sure why :D

Posted on

If LordNibbler genuinely didn't know 'who' he was ( and I would be awfully surprised given LN is a huge music fan ) then that exchange was really funny :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:If LordNibbler genuinely didn't know 'who' he was ( and I would be awfully surprised given LN is a huge music fan ) then that exchange was really funny :)

well my first clue ..he used a W with out the "THE " with lots of ??? :rofl:

Posted on

Sadly the arseholes from the local council are the guilty ones that, destroying any comeback from iconic names by their short term greed.

You have to walk for some 20 minutes from the studios after finding a place to park for free, otherwise its a straight £4 per hour (if you are lucky to find a spot, and a meter that accepts your coins). Miss the return time by as much as a minute though and its an £80 fine. Chances are though your car will already have had the side window broken by the numpties from the estates down the road (or is that the zoo ?), and the paintwork keyed.

Abbey road will be no doubt be converted into more faceless 'des-res studio apartments' to be rented out to the hip nouveaux-riche, with no real attribute to their name apart from squandering daddy's money.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

I knew who he was of course. It was a pathetic attempt at a joke. I didn't know he was dead though. Can't be many of them left now.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:Sadly the arseholes from the local council are the guilty ones that, destroying any comeback from iconic names by their short term greed.

You have to walk for some 20 minutes from the studios after finding a place to park for free, otherwise its a straight £4 per hour (if you are lucky to find a spot, and a meter that accepts your coins). Miss the return time by as much as a minute though and its an £80 fine. Chances are though your car will already have had the side window broken by the numpties from the estates down the road (or is that the zoo ?), and the paintwork keyed.

Abbey road will be no doubt be converted into more faceless 'des-res studio apartments' to be rented out to the hip nouveaux-riche, with no real attribute to their name apart from squandering daddy's money.

From what I've seen in the pictures, it looks like there is parking space in the grounds itself or is that staff only or super-VIP only? There is probably a helicopter pad out the back?

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

good news
Abbey Road, the recording studios made famous by the Beatles, was designated a historic site by the government on Tuesday to protect the pop music shrine against any plans to radically alter it.
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/22/20100223/tuk-uk-britain-music-abbeyroad-fa6b408.html

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Return to Music