Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Neil Young

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I saw Neil Young last night.

It was ludicrously expensive- I only went because a friend had a spare ticket and let me pay in installments. Fuckin' 80 quid, including booking fees and shit.

But FUCK. FUCK. FUCKFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK.

That was a fucking gig and a half. He played an hour-and-a-quarter acoustic set- it was all so beautifully fragile, except Man Needs A Maid, which just sounded apocalyptic... it was awesome.

And then he did a full hour-and-a-half electric set. Hey, Hey, My, My... Powderfinger... he was AWESOME.

I'm 36 years old. He's in his 60s. And he rocks more than I EVER could. Seriously, I'm not as scared of being old now I've seen that.

That was the best gig I've been to in a LOOOOOOONG time.

Anyway. Given that he has a vast back-catalogue, and a great deal of it is poo (none of which he played last night, fortunately) does anyone feel like talking about the erratic genius that is Neil Young?

"Pirates and bank-robbers, not lawyers or CEOs. Stockbrokers ain't your heroes"- The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Really Hooked!
Location: Behind the mask, with the idea. Because ideas are bulletproof.
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Lovesick, broke and driftin'

Posted on

Neil Young is a unique figure in music. I never really got into his work until one day i read he was working with Pearl Jam. To me this was like hearing Roger Whittaker was doing a duet with the Sex Pistols. It just seemed bizarre. I started listening to his work and first of all i thought what a load of bollocks. The same opinion as when i listened to Dylan, Cave, Bowie or Cash but them something happens with age. You listen again and something clicks, and you hear these artists in a new light.

Neil Young is a great example of someone who eats. breathes and sleeps music. He has influenced so many. Seeing him at Reading festival was so awesome the guy has a stage presence that few come close to, something very magical. I do have to agree that some of his work is very bad, almost amateurish in my view. When he hits the spot, and the magic comes together its an emotional experience. The same goes for the artists mentioned above, they have all produced some dodgy stuff, but when they do come good, they have a power and emotion that can transport you to other planets and it amazing. :thumb:

Posted on

I love 'Like A Hurricane' - I never really got into any of his other stuff to be honest from what I remember, it's been ages since I heard him, his voice always sounded like it was on the edge of going way off tune and way off tone. made me feel uncomfortable listening to him and is why I was always relieved when the guitar solo appeared in Like A Hurricane.

Glad you had a great time stoatie! - but £80 ???? :eek4: FFS!!! Eighty instalments? :D :cheers:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I don't know Stoatie - its a lot of money, but a once in a lifetime thing. :yippee: And you enjoyed it so it was worth it.

My OH would have loved to have been in your shoes. I think its the only tape ( yes we're still on cassettes) he plays in the car. It drives me insane! Even my nine year old sings Neil Young. :D

You sound so enthused and excited. See, it was worth it!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Neil Young is fantastic. I've never seen him live though, mainly because I can't afford his tickets and even if I could they they sell out very quickly. Glad you had a great time though stoatie.

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

staroffurby wrote:Neil Young is a unique figure in music. I never really got into his work until one day i read he was working with Pearl Jam. To me this was like hearing Roger Whittaker was doing a duet with the Sex Pistols. It just seemed bizarre. I started listening to his work and first of all i thought what a load of bollocks. The same opinion as when i listened to Dylan, Cave, Bowie or Cash but them something happens with age. You listen again and something clicks, and you hear these artists in a new light.

Neil Young is a great example of someone who eats. breathes and sleeps music. He has influenced so many. Seeing him at Reading festival was so awesome the guy has a stage presence that few come close to, something very magical. I do have to agree that some of his work is very bad, almost amateurish in my view. When he hits the spot, and the magic comes together its an emotional experience. The same goes for the artists mentioned above, they have all produced some dodgy stuff, but when they do come good, they have a power and emotion that can transport you to other planets and it amazing. :thumb:

I think you're right in putting him with Dylan, Cave, Bowie and Cash in that respect (well, apart from Cave- I've LOVED him since I was about 16- about twenty years ago now!- and he's only recorded one song which I didn't like- Rock Of Gibraltar- it's on Nocturama, and seriously, it's AWFUL. He's my absolute hero, but really, there are limits). They're all artists whose back catalogue makes more sense when you get older. Yeah, Dylan doing Rainy Day Women is fun when you're a kid and first discover dope, and EVERYONE likes SOMETHING by Bowie... I dunno, I love Bowie now, I just pretend that the 80s never happened when I think about him. But yeah, there's a "grown-up's rock music" aspect which makes more sense the more you, well, grow up. Mind you, I still think of The Ramones as being music for my inner child, and their surviving members are WAY, WAY older than me, so whaddoIknow?

In other news, Leonard Cohen tickets go on sale tomorrow, and I've maxed out my credit card. THAT sucks REALLY REALLY hard. Another musical hero, and not to put too fine a point on it, he's probably gonna die soon. And he actually NEEDS the money, too (while he was up on his mountain his agent basically stole all his retirement fund. That's why he's going out on tour again. I'd pay SHITLOADS to see him, knowing that cash is actually going towards giving one of my musical heroes a comfortable retirement).

But yeah, Neil Young. Fuck. Inspirational. I'm STILL shit-scared of dying, but I'm now not quite so scared of being an old fucker. 'Cuz they can still kick shit with the best of us.

"Pirates and bank-robbers, not lawyers or CEOs. Stockbrokers ain't your heroes"- The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Really Hooked!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I love 'Like A Hurricane' - I never really got into any of his other stuff to be honest from what I remember, it's been ages since I heard him, his voice always sounded like it was on the edge of going way off tune and way off tone. made me feel uncomfortable listening to him and is why I was always relieved when the guitar solo appeared in Like A Hurricane.

Glad you had a great time stoatie! - but £80 ???? :eek4: FFS!!! Eighty instalments? :D :cheers:

D'you know the most embarrassing thing? When I was a 17-year-old goth, my favourite band were The Mission (first gig I ever went to, too- 1988, the Children tour! Looking back, they were a bit shit, really). I first heard of Neil Young because they covered Like A Hurricane, and I wanted to hear where that great song came from.

The "being on the edge of going way off tune" thing is, for me, what makes it. It's got a fragility to it. I love singers who sound like they're about to cry, for whatever reason. When the voice is JUST about to break from emotion- that's what makes a lot of rock music work for me. See also New Model Army.

Really Hooked!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music