Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Radio 2 on Sundays

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Sir Arthur Pringle,

One is NOT amused! :nono:

I am going to have to throw a sickie tomorrow because I am in agony after that! :cunt:

You loved it really :thumb:

I've got some Vera Lynn, George Formby and the speeches of Clement Atlee lined up for you next....... :cunt:

I am the God of Hell Fire

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Have you got The Laughing Policeman? Ed Stewart used to play that rubbish for his senile listeners virtually every Sunday! No wonder Lesley Douglas axed him in 2006!

I have. :o :D I have everything and anything in my collection though. :o

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Have you got The Laughing Policeman? Ed Stewart used to play that rubbish for his senile listeners virtually every Sunday! No wonder Lesley Douglas axed him in 2006!

Oh i can do much, much better than that :D :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=suehSgf_ILs

:splif: :splif: :taunt:

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Typical piece of corperate bumpf that! They don't "get" the car crashness (is that a word? :confused: ) of Radio 2, particularly as you say you can go from Evans playing something loud to dear old Desmond playing the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards within the space of 5 minutes

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Gerald Harper would be better if they wanted to take it down a gear, but 7pm on a Tuesday is the wrong time. Yr suggestion of Bob Dylan or maybe Tom Robinson would be better in that slot

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:I remember I was modded on the old Radio 2 board for saying that whenever Desmond Carrington was on the air, his listeners probably wore tin hats and dived behind the sofa whenever a plane flew over.

But they do!! :D :D :D :D

And eat spam out of a tin :thumb:

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Scott, mah boy, I can give you a typical Radio 2 schedule, or most of it from when I was a teenager:
7.00 Good Morning Sunday with Roger Royle, fair enough
9.00 Melodies for You with David Jacobs AKA let's all put Adrian Juste on to put us out of our misery
11.00 Two's Best, self congratulatory tripe featuring the best of the last week on Radio 2( ie not a lot)
12.00 Radio 2 All Time Greats with Desmond Carrington, same old kenk that he plays now only for longer
2.00 Benny Green knew his stuff and was quite lively for this time on Radio 2, but music similar to what Parky used to play
3.30 Sounds Easy With Alan Dell, except it was anything but
4.30 Sing Something Simple, Radio 2 goes into geriatric mode, Top 40 ratings go throught the roof
5.00 Radio version of Steptoe and Son or Dad's Army, actually quite funny and a welcome bit of light relief
5.30 Charlie Chester's Sunday Soapbox, back to the Top 40 then, just as senile as SSS and hosted by someone who sounded like he was in a geriatric ward.
7.00 Glamorous Nights, just like MFY, stay with Annie Nightingale then
8.30 Sunday Half Hour, it is Sundays after all
9.00 Sounds of Jazz, fairly drab jazz show hosted by Peter Clayton.
Not much to listen to there back in the day.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:OMG! Look at this from 1994:

7.00am Don Maclean
9.00 Michael Aspel
10.30 Brian Hayes
12.00 Desmond Carrington
2.00pm Benny Green
3.30 Alan Dell
4.30 Sing Something Senile
5.00 Charlie Chester
7.00 Miseries for You with Hugh Scully
8.30 Sunday Half Hour with Roger Royle
9.00 Alan Keith with Your Hundred Best Tunes
10.00 Sounds of Jazz with Digby Fairweather
11.00 Radio 2 Arts Programme (documentary)
12.00 Steve Madden
3.00 - 6.00am Alex Lester

WHAT A LOAD OF OLD SHIT!

Scott, main man, this was the darkest era of Lineism which the Fracnces Line 4 would class as a golden era for BBC Radio. It is interesting how little that schedule had changed since the early 80s, although Michael Aspel at least would have been preferable to David Jacobs at 9 am playing some squawking old opera tune. Yet the afternoons are virtually the same as 10 years earlier, the same old piffle.
However, I'm sure in the 80s YHBT was broadcast on weekday nights or maybe i've made a mistake with my weekend schedule, although Sunday night Radio 2 in the 80s was a no go area for anyone born after 1935.
Another pile of old toot they used to class as comedy, sometimes broadcast on Sunday afternoons, was Hinge and Bracket, two men acting as upper class elderly women. It was about as funny as a funeral, same as some old toss with Roy Castle in where he attempted to tell jokes and sing( both done very badly). It summed up how awful Radio 2 Sundays were in those days and why Radio 1 shows pulled in 12 million listeners. Well, a line up of Peter Powell, Adrian Juste, the Old Record Club, a music documentary, The Top 40 and Anne Nightingale was very tempting even to older listeners.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

I remember reading an interview in the Observer around 1993 with a BBC bigwig Liz Forgan? (was that her name??) One of the questions was "How can you allow Radio 2 to continue to shed listeners and not do anything about it?" She had no real answer. Bear in mind it was David Hatch - director of radio - who put his foot down and brought back Wogan (i believe against Line's wishes) with Paul Walters as his producer and freedom to create his own playlist. Brian Hayes's audience was down to about 2 million

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Sir Arthur Pringle wrote:I remember reading an interview in the Observer around 1993 with a BBC bigwig Liz Forgan? (was that her name??) One of the questions was "How can you allow Radio 2 to continue to shed listeners and not do anything about it?" She had no real answer. Bear in mind it was David Hatch - director of radio - who put his foot down and brought back Wogan (i believe against Line's wishes) with Paul Walters as his producer and freedom to create his own playlist. Brian Hayes's audience was down to about 2 million

Sir Arthur
It seemed to be a station that was stuck in the past: I can recall the theme music to the Sky At Night being played in daytime and David Jacobs playing forties music at lunchtime. As Radio 1 moved to playing new music and Radio 2 refused to change, the BBC lost millions of listeners. Where I live an ILR station opened playing music the BBC refused to play- such as middle of the road chart pop, adult rock and seventies and eighties hits- and soon took 40 per cent of the audience. The BBC in the mid nineties really was neglecting the audience born between 1940 and 1970.
However, I was really thankful for Jim Moir taking over Radio 2 and installing Johnnie Walker and the like as the station started appealing to the 30 to 60 age group and old tripe like Sing Something Simple, Sunday Soapbox and Alan Dell were phased out, as well as bizarre light music in daytime. No wonder Radio 2 attracts 13 million listeners a week and is way ahead of Radio 1, it plays music the listeners want and the DJs don't behave like teenagers.
Yet the dire Sunday night offerings need to be ditched or put somewhere else.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott
Why don't they axe bloody Desmond Carrington and his senile music now? The Music Goes Round, no it doesn't you old fool. The closest DC has come to anything contemporary was when he used to play Begin the Beguine in the eighties and that was so middle of the road it could have been made in 1940, not 1981. Who really wants to listen to his weirdbeard music nowadays?
However, at last we are freed of Parkinson, no more songs about New York in 1929, my yiddische momma or tedious jazz. Michael Ball seems to be making a decent go of lunchtimes.
Anyway Scott one hour left of normal Radio 2 and then it's back to 1938 for the rest of the evening.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Why all this hatred and nastiness? These presenters are only on once a week.

What about when you get old; music does not go out of date.

I don't like everything on Sunday, so I don't listen. I don't like E P, M B, J W. I do not call for their removal or denigrate them like you have been for the last 5 years.

This board is like the old R2 board.

Your parents are in their 60s; do you hate them also because they are old?

I like Melodies but do not like Alan Titchmarsh; bring back Brian Kay. Russell Davies, David Jacobs and Malcolm Laycock are fine broadcasters; long may they continue.

Hooked

Posted on

howard spencer wrote:Why all this hatred and nastiness? These presenters are only on once a week.

What about when you get old; music does not go out of date.

I don't like everything on Sunday, so I don't listen. I don't like E P, M B, J W. I do not call for their removal or denigrate them like you have been for the last 5 years.

This board is like the old R2 board.

Your parents are in their 60s; do you hate them also because they are old?

I like Melodies but do not like Alan Titchmarsh; bring back Brian Kay. Russell Davies, David Jacobs and Malcolm Laycock are fine broadcasters; long may they continue.

I'm not a fan of Alan Titchmarsh at all.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:Radio 2 is not my cup of tea any day of the week.

:):

Radio 2 is bloody good.
Chris Evans, weekdays 5pm-7pm
jonathan ross, saturday afternoons
Russell Brand, saturday night.. lovely dubbly

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

The only Radio 2 show I ever listen to is Pick Of The Pops. Actually preferred it on Saturdays to be honest.

noobywoobyscoobydooby

Posted on

I prefer the 60's and 70's though. Think they'd be better playing more of the actual top 20 than the new releases and ones just outside. Track from No.1 album then as many of top 20 as they can fit in. :)

noobywoobyscoobydooby

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music