Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

A 1973 Bowie performance ....

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

A 1973 Bowie performance thought lost is to be aired



A recently rediscovered David Bowie Top of the Pops performance is to be shown on television for the first time since it was originally broadcast in 1973.

It was believed that every recording of the singer performing Jean Genie had been destroyed.

It emerged in October that retired cameraman, John Henshall, who was filming on the day, had kept a copy of the show.

In the four-minute clip, Bowie performs alongside his then-band The Spiders From Mars, who play a slightly extended version of the single.

Arts Editor Will Gompertz reports.

You can watch the full version of David Bowie's performance of The Jean Jeanie on the Top of the Pops Christmas special on Christmas Eve on BBC Two at 2225 - or you can watch it on the BBC Iplayer

************************************

Still can't believe the BBC employed such morons back in the day which erased hudnreds of priceless recordings

and tehre's more

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120396
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:Arts Editor Will Gompertz reports.

Still can't believe the BBC employed such morons back in the day which erased hudnreds of priceless recordings


Hardly news, it happens today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ining.html

But the public do love him

http://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/in ... 734AA7AUR7

http://www.dont-start-me-off.com/CelebI ... eb_id=8424

http://www.dont-start-me-off.com/CelebI ... eb_id=8424

http://www.cuntscorner.com/cunt_view.php?cunt_id=8911

http://www.frontarmy.com/frontforum/top ... -arts-cunt

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 26567
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Channel Hopper wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Arts Editor Will Gompertz reports.

Still can't believe the BBC employed such morons back in the day which erased hudnreds of priceless recordings


Hardly news, it happens today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ining.html




"One senior BBC source said that Gompertz boasts personal links to both BBC creative director and presenter Alan Yentob and BBC director-general Mark Thompson.
"

IOW made up out of thin air.











Love it!!! :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120396
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggy, at the time video tape was very expensive , so the beeb used to wipe tapes to reuse in order to save money :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

wotsit2 wrote:smeggy, at the time video tape was very expensive , so the beeb used to wipe tapes to reuse in order to save money :)


I know. Stupid twats. The artistic material, Doctor who, Dad's army, etc episodes were priceless and worth far more than the cost of the tape it was recorded on, even if they count the cost of production and not the art itself.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120396
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:smeggy, at the time video tape was very expensive , so the beeb used to wipe tapes to reuse in order to save money :)


I know. Stupid twats. The artistic material, Doctor who, Dad's army, etc episodes were priceless and worth far more than the cost of the tape it was recorded on, even if they count the cost of production and not the art itself.

yes ,but the entertainment taxpayers would've complained at the cost of buying new tapes :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The full performance seems to have made its way onto Youtube now -



Seems to sound a bit 'flat' to me. :confused:

They only started to keep all the recordings from the end of 1976, when video tape got much cheaper. Having watched a few episodes of TOTP from them I wonder why they bothered with some of the shows. :):

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9732
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Arts Editor Will Gompertz reports.

Still can't believe the BBC employed such morons back in the day which erased hudnreds of priceless recordings


Hardly news, it happens today

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... ining.html




"One senior BBC source said that Gompertz boasts personal links to both BBC creative director and presenter Alan Yentob and BBC director-general Mark Thompson.
"

IOW made up out of thin air.











Love it!!! :rofl:


Gompertz is off again

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53065380

Fucking clueless.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 26567
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Don't really like much Dylan stuff. Lay Lady Lay was good though

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 120396
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

No surprise there. A gigolo giving instructions to a cross-dresser during a trick, organised by their homosexual pimp who is in the adjoining room.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 26567
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown


Return to Music

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests