Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Melodies for Poo on Radio 2

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Argh! Melodies for You with Alan Titchmarsh, Sundays 6.30 - 8.30pm.

What a load of old shit!

Axe and replace with Annie Nightingale! :D

Yes Alan Cesspit is the kind of person you want to punch if you were stuck in a lift with :spank:

I don't care how you look at me
Because I'm the one that you will see
We can make it work
We can make it right
Just give me half a minute & I'll tell you why
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:
Have you heard David Jacobs lately (Sundays, 11pm - midnight)? He sounds like he's inside an oxygen tank.

Not suprising given the fact that DJ is 82 and maybe 1 hour is how long the oxygen tanks last

We can make it work
We can make it right
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:
The three dullards.

very true maybe they should issue a "pine box" set of music to commit unholy acts by :howl:

We can make it work
We can make it right
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Have you heard old Lady Muckingham first thing? It's enough to make you want to wrap your car around a lamp-post! Half the time she sounds like she's unsure what day of the week it is!

no change there then!

We can make it work
We can make it right
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Fuck me! Malcolm Laycock plays Tom & Jerry music!

"THOMAS! CATCH THAT MOUSE!"

Seriously, Sunday nights on Radio 2 are a joke!

Never rated Malcolm Laycock

We can make it work
We can make it right
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:
He replaced Alan Dell in 1995. Have you seen any pix of Dell? He was scary.

Dont think I have but I think he is dead iirc

We can make it work
We can make it right
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Greetings, Scott, freed of the BBC POV moderators and their informers, here is what I really think of this antiquated crap that has no place anywhere as serious classical fans will have Radio 3 on and regular Radio 2 listeners have always despised, even at the height of the Line era:
AXE, JUST AXE!!!!
They mention playing the masters of popular song, oh yeah, some worn out twenties record of some screeching fat woman that the BBC forgot to throw out in 1933. Obviously no Lennon and Mc Cartney or Jagger and Richards to frighten the ghost of Sheridan Boreley.
Parlour songs, some ninny on a 78 singing about London in the 1880s, rather than some cockney knees up, or a football song.
The best of classical, drab scratchy recordings of some corpse squawking in Italian who died in 1927, rather than stuff people actually know.
Film music, possibly the theme music to Psycho or a Bela Lugosi horror film or some upper crust actor talking over film music that sounds like the above.
Popular theatre, popular in 1700 or 1500, the more obscure or morbid the better.
You can see why for decades this show has been the most despised programme on Radio 2 and should be axed. However, the four people who love it on BBC message boards, and it only seems to be four, treat Melodies for No One like some kind of religion and I'm sure they pay to keep it on the air.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Scott
When this old kenk is finally pensioned off, no one notices except the Frances Line 4 on the BBC POV boards, and who cares about them? I didn't hear anyone mourn the passing of Sing Something Simple, Your Hundred Best Tunes, etc, and only a real anorak Charlie Chester fan would hark back to Sunday Soapbox as most of the listeners are dead.
So why the hell does Radio 2 still persist with its most disliked programme Melodies for Who :mad: . It has never been popular with even the most diehard Radio 2 listener- people wanting David Jacobs to play Sinatra, for which he had a fair following for on Saturdays- switched it off and serious classical fans wanting Wagner operas would always tune to Radio 3 and regarded this thing as a Light Programme joke to try and make the home of Wogan sound serious.
It's been a pointless load of rubbish since it was created in 1966 as it doesn't know what it is because it's always been on the wrong station, even more so now. Just as no one shed any tears over the end of YHBT, why not bury this crap now and do everyone a favour. :hello:

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:By the way, I remember sometime in 2005 you saying the Radio 2 message boards that I have a jihad against certain presenters and programmes on Radio 2! :D

I mentioned it in a nice way, although only the Frances Line 4 would take it seriously and offer their lives to defend their Sunday night rubbish. That John H is a saddo, I'm sure it was he who had me modded on trhe POV boards for complaining about Parkinson playing jazz records by dead people all the time.
However, I'm sure the Frances Line 4 are really Frances Line in disguise or maybe Richard Baker and Desmond Carrington using false names. I bet Baker is still smarting at having YHBT axed and probably wanted his old job back on MFY when Sheridan Boreley died.
Yet for all the Frances Line 4 defend their beloved Light Programme trash, I notice when YHBT, Sing Something Senile, All Time Not So Greats and Russell Davies packed in, almost no one noticed and certainly there was no campaign to get them back on air. I'm sure no listeners are campaining now to have Johnnie Walker and Dale Winton replaced by the old tripe that was in their slots before and these new shows have attracted millions of younger listeners to the station. However, try telling Howard 66 and John H that as they won't have it.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Glenn,

Both of my parents will be 66 this month and neither of them can stand the likes of dreary David Jacobs, rabbiting Russell Davies and up his own arse Alan Titchmarsh. It's a myth that all folk aged over 50 tune in and enjoy the dull geriatric tripe Radio 2 broadcasts on Sunday nights.

My father thought David Jacobs died in the 1980s. The funny thing is, he sounds like it.

In just over 2 hours time, Alan Titchmarsh will grace the airwaves with 2-hours of classical crap, parlous songs and gas chamber music. Miseries for You should be axed.

What a shame Dance Anthems is no longer on Sunday nights. That was my equivalent to the grey and white-haired shit Radio 2 broadcasts on Sunday nights. Many a time I have been driving on Sunday nights and have been tuned to Dance Anthems. That was so much better than listening to Sheridan Morley rolling another phat one.

Even Jim Moir didn't like the granny garbage on Radio 2 but was too afraid to axe it, hence why most of it was moved and restricted to Friday nights and Sundays.

Yes Radio 1 has this weird thing on called Switch, BBC Radio Cumbria plays forties music and we still have to endure Melodies for No One on Radio 2. Serious classical fans will have Radio 3 on and people wanting less advanced classical music will choose Classic FM, so what is the point of this old kenk that seems to be a ragbag of music no one likes. I did actually try it a couple of years ago, and all I heard was a clapped out record of a woman squawking in Italian, a man talking over a record of sinister thirties film music and some weird Victorian music, with the pompous and snobbish Sheridan Boreley wittering away in between. This sad old trash has never changed since it started and needs to be ditched as it pleases no one: I can't see anyone listening to Radio 3 making a date to hear it, so scrap the damned old warhorse now.
BTW, I'd love to know what the ratings for it are. I can't imagine them beating the 100,000 mark as even when Melodies of Pain was broadcast at 10am, there was a massive surge in audience figures for Radio 1, Noel Edmonds claiming a huge audience figure of 12 milliob.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Alan Brazil sometimes plays music on talksport!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Scott
By accident I switched on my car radio tonight at 6.50, forgetting what was on, and the Black Beauty style theme music that started Melodies of Mortuaries in the past came on. Recalling what horrors this theme music entailed, I rapidly switched it off in case I wanted to drive into a wall.
Actually Sunday evening radio stinks. Radio 1 now has this weird teen advice thing on, Radio Cumbria plays Desmond Carrington style music and the local ILR station has some teenage pop show on hosted by an imbecile.Such choice for those who want some decent pop and rock on.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:6 minutes to go...YAWN

It' started. The Frances Line 4 will be waiting for their valve radios to warm up so they can enjoy their fun and remember how good Radio 2 was when it was 1953 and how beastly everyone is about that nice Frances Line woman, who did so much to keep the commoners and yobbos off Radio 2 so the station's 4 listeners could enjoy their nice music.
I am sure one of the posters on the POV MB is Frances Line. Maybe it's John Wright.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Scott Nelson wrote:Oi Glenn,

"Roll another phat one, Alan!"

Dance Anthems should replace shitty Melodies for You!

Bring back the Anne Nightingale Request Show on Radio 2 at 6.30, then we'd have a real alternative to what we have now. Maybe, in years to come as the Light Brigade finally retire to their bathchairs( all 4 of them), then Dave Paerce could appear.
This ain't as daft as it sounds. Who'd have thought 15 years ago Steve Wright, Jonathan Ross and Stuart Maconie would be working for Radio 2? Time edges ever closer and in 10 years time we could have the likes of Dave Pearce and Chris Moyles on Radio 2.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

You have your kind of music throughout the week on R2; where's the harm in me having my kind of music ONCE a week on R2? I do not come onto these forums denigrating the same R2 presenters and call for them to be sacked.

I like Melodies for You, Russell Davies, David Jacobs and Desmond Carrington.

Whatever happened to tolerance?

Hooked

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music