Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Wilko Johnson Appreciation Thread

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Any other admirers knocking around. For me the man just keeps on delivering in live performance year after year. :clap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZcgsa-KGyU

Posted on

Cheers - I enjoyed that clip.

Another old rocker! How old is he now? ... 61 - I just looked it up.
I'm going to see Robin Trower at the end of next month - he's 63 and still playing as well as ever, and then Steve Howe in June - he's 61 as well. Tony McPhee was playing near here last month - he's 64, and Hugh Cornwell (only 59!) Maybe we need an "old rockers" thread!

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

They keep on going until death or arthritis claims them. I used to see the Groundhogs on a fairly regular basis, but judging from some of Tony McPhee's recent Youtude outings they don't look too encouraging to be honest. Saw Robin Trower when I was still at school, enjoy.

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:They keep on going until death or arthritis claims them. I used to see the Groundhogs on a fairly regular basis, but judging from some of Tony McPhee's recent Youtude outings they don't look too encouraging to be honest. Saw Robin Trower when I was still at school, enjoy.

Yes, the YouTube clips put me off seeing Tony McPhee and Hugh Cornwell, but confirmed that I must see Robin Trower. I saw Steve Howe last year and he was amazing, so I'm looking forward to that one.

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!

Posted on

My other half went to see him live a couple of weeks ago.
Dr Feelgood are playing locally soon, too - but we are boycotting them because they aren't the real Dr Feelgood, of course.
It's just not the same without Lee Brilleaux is it?
Wilko and band [bass player is ex Blockheads and is great! BTW] just turned up in a people carrier, clutching their instruments. And they used the support band's gear, did the show and disappeared off into the night. Never even changed their clothes!

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

Hooked

Posted on

blozznob wrote:My other half went to see him live a couple of weeks ago.
Dr Feelgood are playing locally soon, too - but we are boycotting them because they aren't the real Dr Feelgood, of course.
It's just not the same without Lee Brilleaux is it?
Wilko and band [bass player is ex Blockheads and is great! BTW] just turned up in a people carrier, clutching their instruments. And they used the support band's gear, did the show and disappeared off into the night. Never even changed their clothes!

Ah the life of International R&B Gods :chin:

I've seen that Dr Feelgood band, competent R&B band but er.. not Dr Feelgood. The Mid-Atlantic Scot's (no offence ;) drawl did'nt sound right in place of the Mid-Atlantic Essex whine.

Norman Watt Roy is a brilliant bass player. I caught the Mad,Bad,and Dangerous
tour a few years ago and they finished with 'Hit Me With Your Ryhthm Stick". Anything complicated on the Clash's Sandinista album is probably him as well.

Posted on

Mister Blozznob was well impressed with the bass player.I wasn't allowed to go to the gig because my favourite Feelgood track is Milk & Alcohol, and I am not fussed about Wilko's voice. Mr B says I know nowt! He says that track is one of their worst and that Wilko is an icon. Fair enough, but I love that track and even his biggest fans can't say he's a 'singer.' A frontman, yes. A singer, no.
I'm a bit mardy like that - I loved Brilleaux's voice and nobody can sing those songs like him IMO.

But I know when my opinion isn't wanted. :D

I'll stick to my girly rock [as Mr B calls it.]

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

Hooked

Posted on

:D :D :D

Well you may wish to point out to Mr Blozznob that somebody has uploaded some new RTE live footage, and hmm.. I seem to remember seeing Milk & Alcohol on there as well, no doubt 'cough' for the ladies. ;)

Posted on

Wilko was a great character - the New Wave threw up many different types of musicians, and he was pretty unique - especially on stage :D

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:Wilko was a great character - the New Wave threw up many different types of musicians, and he was pretty unique - especially on stage :D

You mean like this - :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yimn3Y19R-A

Posted on

Yeah, no one strutted better :D

Posted on

I just wish he had changed his clothes after sweating in them though.
I like my iconic musicians to be clean.

And when I was younger it was Milk & Alcohol and Roxette which alerted me to the band in the first place.
But I know what Mr B is getting at though.

Hooked

Posted on

We do three of their tunes in the band. If you haven't already got it, I can thoroughly recommend the 'Going Back Home - Live at The Kursaal, Southend Nov '75' DVD. Great pub rock I call it.

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Strewelpeter wrote:We do three of their tunes in the band. If you haven't already got it, I can thoroughly recommend the 'Going Back Home - Live at The Kursaal, Southend Nov '75' DVD. Great pub rock I call it.

Yes ,that and either of the BBC CDs.

Still prefere Wilko's stuff with the Solid Senders and solo though.

Return to Music