Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

'Stairway-to-heaven' riff nicked ?

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Court case to go ahead over possible copyright infringement. Well I suppose there is plenty of money in it nowadays, to pay for dementia care for the band members. :)

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/a ... judge-says

Well they are fairly similar if you play the comparison vid in the link.

I doubt if very many will have heard of Spirit, a group formed in the sixties - with the lead singer and guitarist being called Randy California. He was born in the same year as me but has been dead for a while now. I had their first LP and the toon 'Fresh Garbage' was one of my favourites. :D

Not related to the case but this is some of their garbage -


Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9719
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

They were quick to bring claim then? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

.... and she's stealing a Stairway to Heaven'

Listened to it a few times and part of the intro is a total rip imo.

Let them eat rich, expensive, funny-shaped, yellow, eggy buns.

User avatar
Really Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 2090
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 11:04 pm
Location: Follyoaks
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: unplugged

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Oasis are completely fucked then!

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 10561
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:33 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Mr Squirrel wrote:Oasis are completely fucked then!


most of the time yup. :)


Image

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I do like Oasis. None of their music is what you could call original with so many obvious rip offs of other things. Cigarettes and alcohol being a blatant rip off of T Rex Get it on... but they have a great sound and at the time of their 'hype'... it was a really refreshing change to have some rock n roll nutcases amongst a sea of squeaky clean boy band crap.

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 10561
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:33 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Mr Squirrel wrote:I do like Oasis. None of their music is what you could call original with so many obvious rip offs of other things. Cigarettes and alcohol being a blatant rip off of T Rex Get it on... but they have a great sound and at the time of their 'hype'... it was a really refreshing change to have some rock n roll nutcases amongst a sea of squeaky clean boy band crap.


Agreed on all points. Great songs too. And really most songs are derivatives of earlier songs. It's a standard thing in the music industry to mould a song on something else that's been a hit before. Often it's also done that way simply because the songwriter has their idols and wants to create something similar

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

There's only so much you can do with the notes available.....you can't help but have something original sound like something else, it's just there. I wrote one, when we'd worked out the tune and chords etc,played it....it sounded like 'Sweet Home Alabama'....as it was using the basic chords....but we use light and shade to try and make it seem different.

But after listening to both the Zep and the Spirit tunes there is a distinct similarity. Mind you, Zep did tour with Spirit in the late 60's so it may have been lodged in their subconcious.

Image

User avatar
Highway Star
Posts: 4835
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: Copperhead Road.
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

John lee Pettimore wrote:There's only so much you can do with the notes available.....you can't help but have something original sound like something else, it's just there. I wrote one, when we'd worked out the tune and chords etc,played it....it sounded like 'Sweet Home Alabama'....as it was using the basic chords....but we use light and shade to try and make it seem different.

But after listening to both the Zep and the Spirit tunes there is a distinct similarity. Mind you, Zep did tour with Spirit in the late 60's so it may have been lodged in their subconcious.




Sweet Home Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

:D

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

User avatar
Complete Nutter!!
Posts: 10561
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:33 pm
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
John lee Pettimore wrote:There's only so much you can do with the notes available.....you can't help but have something original sound like something else, it's just there. I wrote one, when we'd worked out the tune and chords etc,played it....it sounded like 'Sweet Home Alabama'....as it was using the basic chords....but we use light and shade to try and make it seem different.

But after listening to both the Zep and the Spirit tunes there is a distinct similarity. Mind you, Zep did tour with Spirit in the late 60's so it may have been lodged in their subconcious.




Sweet Home Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

:D


Damn!!! Sussed. :shrug:

Image

User avatar
Highway Star
Posts: 4835
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:41 pm
Location: Copperhead Road.
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

John lee Pettimore wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
John lee Pettimore wrote:There's only so much you can do with the notes available.....you can't help but have something original sound like something else, it's just there. I wrote one, when we'd worked out the tune and chords etc,played it....it sounded like 'Sweet Home Alabama'....as it was using the basic chords....but we use light and shade to try and make it seem different.

But after listening to both the Zep and the Spirit tunes there is a distinct similarity. Mind you, Zep did tour with Spirit in the late 60's so it may have been lodged in their subconcious.




Sweet Home Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch?

:D


Damn!!! Sussed. :shrug:



:pp: :pp:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

As Led Zeppelin face trial for copyright infringement, here are nine other artists sued for 'stealing' hits

Image

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I remember the Vanilla ice track very well,definatly nicked the intro from under pressure.

:maddy: Image


Image

User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35173
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:Court case to go ahead over possible copyright infringement. Well I suppose there is plenty of money in it nowadays, to pay for dementia care for the band members. :)

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/a ... judge-says

Well they are fairly similar if you play the comparison vid in the link.

I doubt if very many will have heard of Spirit, a group formed in the sixties - with the lead singer and guitarist being called Randy California. He was born in the same year as me but has been dead for a while now. I had their first LP and the toon 'Fresh Garbage' was one of my favourites. :D

Not related to the case but this is some of their garbage -





That chord progression is as old as the hills. The opening arpeggio on Stairway is a direct lift from Bach's first prelude of the 48, Jimmy Page altered the F natural to F sharp for his own ends in the song so if anything, Bach's publishers may well pay him a visit.

Not the first time the Bach has been ripped off either, his exact contemporary (Handel) nicked the entire chord progression and called it "Zadok the Priest" :) Further, the Handel version got ripped off by the dude that did the UEFA Champions League music :)

In short, the band (Spirit) will be lucky to even cover their legal costs.

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
Website: http://www.philter.org

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7125
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

phild05 wrote:That chord progression is as old as the hills. The opening arpeggio on Stairway is a direct lift from Bach's first prelude of the 48, Jimmy Page altered the F natural to F sharp for his own ends in the song so if anything, Bach's publishers may well pay him a visit.

Not the first time the Bach has been ripped off either, his exact contemporary (Handel) nicked the entire chord progression and called it "Zadok the Priest" :) Further, the Handel version got ripped off by the dude that did the UEFA Champions League music :)

In short, the band (Spirit) will be lucky to even cover their legal costs.



Bach died hundreds of years ago. copyright on his music expired a long long time ago :) Public domain now

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I doubt that amount of "gold" will be in the public domain. Some fucker will own it :)

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
Website: http://www.philter.org

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7125
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Performances of the works can be under copyright though

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118322
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Just had a look round, some of it is, some isn't. And, of course, if you find one unknown to the music world, there'll be publishers coming out the woodwork :)

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter
Website: http://www.philter.org

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7125
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:16 pm


Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron