Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Vinyl sales bigger than YouTube for British artists

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I'm not sure I believe the figures in this article. You-tube and others only paid £24.4m to Brit artists last year? Vinyl was £27m? Hmmm, not very much really.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/m ... sh-artists

My vinyl buys were two box-sets, one by American group Blondie and the other was a second-hand set of Elgar - and the artists, mainly British will get nowt. Though most of them are dead now anyway. :)

I'm like me owd dad nowadays, I can't bring to mind any toon by the people who got into the top ten sales figures for 2015. :rofl:

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Isn't vinyl supposed to be making a comeback? A lot of modern stuff seems to be getting released on it. Not sure why :confused:

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Yes, vinyl sales are growing year on year. Partly due to fashion and partly because of the 'loudness wars' where they compress the music to hell and back to make it stand out when played on the radio.

There's no point in compressing the mix they make for LPs as a) it won't work very well and b) radio DJs don't play vinyl if a CD is available. So that makes buying the vinyl version a better option in some ways.

If you look at hi-fi forums you'll see plenty of posts about getting a record deck - they wouldn't have been there 10 years ago. The opening post in this one described some of the bad features of vinyl -

https://www.avforums.com/threads/vinyl- ... t.2015532/

- though he wants to get involved again anyway. :):

I reckon that downloads are the best way of getting music - I don't do pop and rock much these days, but I assume the downloads will be decent quality and not compressed.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

I couldn't tell you about downloads tbh. I know a while back they were talking about releasing stuff in lossless FLAC format. Basically with the audio pretty much as it left the studio. At a price of course.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I still love my vinyl,it's never left me since I was given a Johnny Cash LP when I was 9....or maybe 10....then started buying singles with my paper round money, and moved to LPs when I heard the might of Deep Purple. Still have those first vinyls...although the Johnny Cash one is a bit battered now.

Highway Star
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music