Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Tickets for Glastonbury not sold out

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Apparently the ticket sales for Glastonbury have been worse this year than they have been for ages. Some people are saying it's because Jay-Z is headlining. Would that put you off? It's not just about the headline act, surely. There's plenty of other music.

Perhaps there are just too many rival festivals now? I've never been but I like watching it on TV in the comfort of my own home!

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/ ... 706452.ece
It is possible that the music of the rapper Jay-Z may not be in the “most played” section of many Times readers' iPods - or the iPods of Glastonbury fans, to judge from reports that blame the rapper for slow ticket sales this year (although “slow” for Glastonbury simply means that it didn't sell out in ten minutes).

Jay-Z is unlikely to lose sleep over this. Last week he married his girlfriend, the nubile Beyoncé, with whom he collaborated on her monster hit Crazy In Love. And he is huge in America: he has sold more than 33 million albums since his 1996 debut, Reasonable Doubt; his 1998 album Hard Knock Life went five times platinum; in 2006 he was reported to be earning nearly £5,000 an hour, and his personal fortune is estimated at more than $500 million (£250 million). The politics of a muddy field in Somerset are probably not uppermost in his mind.

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I was really surprised to hear that it hadn't sold out. I would guess that there are several reasons rather than it being purely down to the headlining act. There's a very strict procedure regarding registering for tickets this year, and I would imagine that's gotta be quite high up there as one of the reasons too. There's a lot of competition from other festivals as well, and ticket prices are very high so maybe people just can't afford it like they used to. On saying all that... on hearing Jay Z was headlining... I didn't know who he was!

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

I went twice in the 90's and loved it, I would say Jay-Z may put a few off but would have still expected it to sell out as there's so much other stuff going on. Perhaps Mr Eavis saying he didn't want older people attending and wanting more kids there might come back to bite his arse!

I stick to local smaller ones these days, Shrewsbury Folk Festival is ace :D

I am the God of Hell Fire

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Yes, I think I'd only heard of him vaguely because of Beyonce. I wonder who their oldie will be this year. Who can top Dame Shirley? I bet the tickets would soon sell if Aretha could be persuaded!

Loves The place!

Posted on

But is not glastonbury just a middle class jolly these days?.

I'm just travelling through.

Loves The place!

Posted on

kimi wrote:Yes, I think I'd only heard of him vaguely because of Beyonce. I wonder who their oldie will be this year. Who can top Dame Shirley? I bet the tickets would soon sell if Aretha could be persuaded!

Very few can top either of them. ;)

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

Maybe people are sick of the mud bath that invariably happens every year. And isn't it now broadcast on the radio / TV?

Posted on

Most commentators are putting it down to Jay - Z's presence. Rock fans will stick around to watch Kylie or Shirley Bassey because they put on a good party atmosphere in a show.

But rap isn't liked by a lot of rockers.

Is Jay - Z a rapper? I'm very out of touch with da hood :D

Posted on

Probably THE wealthiest rapper Musty :rofl:

Posted on

I'd go to see Jay-Z, but it is a strange choice as a headline act.

That said it must be more down to the registration process, as in previous years it has often sold out without any of the acts being announced. People go simply because it is Glastonbury.

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

Trixiebelle wrote:Probably THE wealthiest rapper Musty :rofl:

Is he? I thought Public Enemy were :oops:

Posted on

He's HUGELY wealthy and didn't he just marry Beyonce? That's a lotta dosh :thumb:

Posted on

There's loadsa stages so if Jay-Z aint yr bag then there's loads of other stuff going on. Can't be arsed to go now mind, i think it would get on me nerves

I am the God of Hell Fire

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Noel Gallagher says Glastonbury is for guitar bands so they're confusing their audience.

http://music.guardian.co.uk/news/story/ ... 95,00.html

Loves The place!

Posted on

Trixiebelle wrote:He's HUGELY wealthy and didn't he just marry Beyonce? That's a lotta dosh :thumb:

Beyonce is a lotta ASS!!

PHWAOAR!!!!!!! :doggies: :doggies: :doggies:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Been to Glastonbury from the 80' and I'm not going to say it was better then but since the BBC hijacked the event a few years ago it lost it's spirit a bit.
Bit like Gordon Brown turning up at your house party.

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.
Winston Churchill

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: aid flotilla my arse.

Posted on

Actually I will say it was better because the party just went on 24/7 for a week from the tuesday night.
Now we have silent disco's with ridiculous headphones and too many police and officials wanting to stop sound systems. The police are the problem they went from a passive presence to killjoys about 1997, mmm I wonder what changed.

Any man who is under 30, and is not a liberal, has no heart; and any man who is over 30, and is not a conservative, has no brains.
Winston Churchill

Really Hooked!
Current Mood: aid flotilla my arse.

Posted on

Booga wrote:Actually I will say it was better because the party just went on 24/7 for a week from the tuesday night.
Now we have silent disco's with ridiculous headphones and too many police and officials wanting to stop sound systems. The police are the problem they went from a passive presence to killjoys about 1997, mmm I wonder what changed.

But it was never a patch on stonehenge,that was a festival, a month long party. :D

I'm just travelling through.

Loves The place!

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music