Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

John Frusciante

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Hey all,

First proper post here so I thought I'd write a few lines about one of my favourite solo artists. John Frusciante.

Does anybody listen to his solo material outside of the Red Hot Chili Peppers? He has written some very deep and meaningful tunes encompassing a very wide range of styles, in fact totally different to RHCP.

If anyone is keen I'd recommend listening to his albums 'Curtains' and 'Shadows Collide with People' to start with and go from there.

http://www.johnfrusciante.com/

Anyway, I can identify with lots of his songs and I think he's an extremely talented muscian. Check him out. :thumb:

Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I agree that he is a very talented muscian just based on his work with the Chilli's.

I think it's worth noting that his time away with them was their worse period as a band and the music wasn't as good.

What's your favourite RHCP album? Mine is BloodSugarSexMagic. It's amazing, all thrillers and no fillers!

Getting into it now!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

Hey Mooey, Glad to see you like him also.

I agree with you about Blood Sugar Sex Magic. I'd heard bit and pieces of Mothers Milk when it first came out and thought that was Ok but I really started listening to them because of their song Give it Away. I love all the Parliament/P-Funk/George Clinton stuff so was pretty impressed. I also agree with you about their mid period I suppose when Dave Navarro was in the band. Definitely not the same. I do think that By The Way is also a brilliant album and I think that is what got me listening to Johns solo stuff.
I started off by listening to Shadows Collide with People and couldn't stop listening to it for weeks. It's all personal taste of course but I think this album is fantastic. He plays so many different styles of music it never gets boring. Well worth checking out. :thumb:

Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Strewelpeter wrote:Hey Mooey, Glad to see you like him also.

I agree with you about Blood Sugar Sex Magic. I'd heard bit and pieces of Mothers Milk when it first came out and thought that was Ok but I really started listening to them because of their song Give it Away. I love all the Parliament/P-Funk/George Clinton stuff so was pretty impressed. I also agree with you about their mid period I suppose when Dave Navarro was in the band. Definitely not the same. I do think that By The Way is also a brilliant album and I think that is what got me listening to Johns solo stuff.
I started off by listening to Shadows Collide with People and couldn't stop listening to it for weeks. It's all personal taste of course but I think this album is fantastic. He plays so many different styles of music it never gets boring. Well worth checking out. :thumb:

It's sad reading about his battle with drug addiction, he reached absolute rock bottom. :(

Did you know that he only joined the Chilli's because one of the original members, Hillel Slovak died of a drugs oversode? The song 'My Lovely Man' was written about him.

The Lyrics are beautiful:

I used to shout
Across the room to you
And youd come dancin
Like a fool
Shuffle step
You funky mother
Come to me
All warm as covers

Rest with me
My lovely brother
For you see
There is no other
Memory so sad and sweet
Ill see you soon
Save me a seat

Well Im cryin
Now my lovely man
Yes Im cryin
Now and no one can
Ever fill the
The hole you left my man
Ill see you later
My lovely man if I can

In my room
Im all alone
Waiting for you
To get home
Listen to roberta flack
But I know you wont come back

Well Im cryin
Now my lovely man
Ill see you later
My lovely man if I can

Just in case
You never knew
I miss you slim
I love you too
See my heart
Its black and blue
When I die
I will find you

Well Im cryin
Now my lovely man
Yes Im cryin
Now and no one can
Ever fill the
The hole you left my man
Ill see you later
My lovely man if I can

Well Im cryin
My lovely man
Well Im cryin
My lovely man
Ill see you later
My lovely man
We have some good time
My lovely man

They al;so dedicated a song to him on the BTW album, it's nice that they haven't forgotten their roots.

Getting into it now!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

Thanks Mooey. I do know the song but didn't know the lyrics or who it was about. I did have a tear in my eye reading those lyrics, actually. :(

I remember reading that John used to idolise Hillel and watched his every move from the front of the stage. He admitted himself in later years that being thrust into the spotlight and replacing his idol in RHCP became too much for him.

One of the saddest things I've seen is this YouTube video of him during the 'Niandra Lades and Just Another T-Shirt' period (Acoustic album made whilst in the grip of addiction) and to quote an old cliche, kids. Don't do drugs...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ur3juD8u ... re=related

You can see the talent just being wasted.

As we know though. There is a happy ending. He has been clean and sober for years now and continues to make brilliant music both as a solo artist and as part of RHCP.

I hope he tours the UK sometime soon.

Loves Smeggy's

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music