Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

DAB and DAB+

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

ok guys, whats the low down on DAB/DAB+.

When is DAB being phased out, and DAB+ going to be the standard.

And, I understand that the two are not compatible, meaning current DAB radios will be obsolete...so how soon is this likely to happen?

thanks!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

f you're planning to buy a new digital radio, don't let the news about DAB+ put you off. Our discussions with broadcasters and regulators indicate that there is currently no deadline in place for the wholesale adoption of DAB+.

This may not please everyone, as the current DAB standard has its critics. Despite its popularity, there are concerns about the sound quality of DAB radio.

Broadcasters use compression techniques to reduce the size of the DAB signal, which inevitably leads to some loss of sound quality.

We think the main advantage of digital radio is more station choice. If you have concerns about sound quality, we advise you to buy a Best Buy model that can receive an FM and a DAB signal.

http://www.which.co.uk/reports_and_camp ... 696_10.jsp

noobywoobyscoobydooby

Posted on

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

TBH I can't see DAB+ being rolled out in the UK for a long while. Ofcom and the BBC seem to be backing normal DAB even though it is an outdated technology that often provides poor audio (often worse than FM)

I guess the thinking is they don't want to harm listener confidence by bringing out a new technology and making listeners hardware obsolete.

Also Ofcom recently awarded a new DAB licence for a national multiplex which is going to be run by Channel 4, which makes me think DAB+ is a long way off in the UK.

On three rolls!!

Posted on

That's great information, thankyou very much!

MILF

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music