Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

SOUND CONTROL IN LIQUIDATION

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Hot of the press.
UK's largest retail chain for musical instruments went into liquidation today.
Key stores will remain open for three months while they run down stock.
Smaller stores boarded up as of today.
Get in and press them for bargains.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

The Music retail industry has been the decline for decades. I'm a bit behind with music retail these days. Whose going to take over as biggest retailer

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Hopefully me. :D

They were up for sale prior to the banks calling it a day.
Lot of speculation as to whether anyone will buy the chain off the bank.

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Sound Control only recently bought out all the Academy of Sound shops,too.
But from my experience they had ceased to be interested in musicians and were turning into laptop,CuBase and ProTools salesmen.

And their after sales service had become a joke.
Serves 'em right IMO.

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

Hooked
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Raffles wrote:Hopefully me. :D

you got a music shop then?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

They were up for sale prior to the banks calling it a day.
Lot of speculation as to whether anyone will buy the chain off the bank.

What do you sell then?

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

Hooked

Posted on

blozznob wrote:Sound Control only recently bought out all the Academy of Sound shops,too.
But from my experience they had ceased to be interested in musicians and were turning into laptop,CuBase and ProTools salesmen.

And musicians don't use DAWs then? :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

Yup.
Small potatoes really.
I worked for SC during their formative years.
Fuckers stole my life.

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
blozznob wrote:Sound Control only recently bought out all the Academy of Sound shops,too.
[/quoet]

You know what I mean, you bugger.

They just weren't interested in musical instruments or accessories any more - ONLY the other side of things.

When I went in to buy cables for example [in my local one] they would try to palm me off with old stuff shoved in a filing cabinet behind the counter, rather than new ones still in their packaging.
I may not be a rock superstar but I know that your PA sound is paramount - and you need the best quality cables. I now buy my cables over the internet from Rose Morris.

Those apathetic staff just weren't interested unless I wanted to buy a bloody Apple Mac for £1700 - and if they can't be bothered to look after regular customers and their everyday requirements, then when I go to buy my £1700 laptop their premises will be the last place I'll go. Get my point?

The staff have brought this on themselves IMO.

Hooked

Posted on

And another thing.......................
grrrrrrr
the PA we use currently cost a fortune. Bought from them BTW. A top cab went kaput , and when we took it to them for repairs they said, "Oh we don't sell HK any more, so we don't repair or service them either." And when we asked who could help us they just shrugged and said, "Don't know who the other local HK dealers are, sorry."

Hooked

Posted on

Raffles wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

Yup.
Small potatoes really.
I worked for SC during their formative years.
Fuckers stole my life.

Have you a website?
What do you sell?

Hooked

Posted on

blozznob wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
[/quoet]

They just weren't interested in musical instruments or accessories any more - ONLY the other side of things.

When I went in to buy cables for example [in my local one] they would try to palm me off with old stuff shoved in a filing cabinet behind the counter, rather than new ones still in their packaging.
I may not be a rock superstar but I know that your PA sound is paramount - and you need the best quality cables. I now buy my cables over the internet from Rose Morris.

Those apathetic staff just weren't interested unless I wanted to buy a bloody Apple Mac for £1700 - and if they can't be bothered to look after regular customers and their everyday requirements, then when I go to buy my £1700 laptop their premises will be the last place I'll go. Get my point?

hee hee :)

Yeah I was just teasing. :)

Music shop staff are well known for being unhelpful though. Although there are rare occasions. People like sound control have always been box shifters, like Music village and all the others. The smaller shops give the best service but they can't buy cheap enough to compete with the big shops.

I'm not sorry sound control have gone ut of business. I remember when Thatched cottage went out of business years ago. There was much rejoicing. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
blozznob wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
[/quoet]

hee hee :)

Yeah I was just teasing. :)

Music shop staff are well known for being unhelpful though. Although there are rare occasions. People like sound control have always been box shifters, like Music village and all the others. The smaller shops give the best service but they can't buy cheap enough to compete with the big shops.

I'm not sorry sound control have gone ut of business. I remember when Thatched cottage went out of business years ago. There was much rejoicing. :)

As I said, it serves them right.
It doesn't mean that me and the other half won't pay them a visit though and see if owt good is going cheap. :D

Might even gloat a bit, too. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

P.S - I like the term 'box shifters.' :D

Hooked

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

It wasn't always so.
I originally started up with them in Glasgow doing Hi Tech, but I was the PA Guru for the company until 98', until it became apparent that the breadheads had taken over the asylum and I went off to be a rep for Klark Teknik, Dynacord, Electrovoice and Midas.

Showing your age there Smeggy.

Surprise bonus finding muso's on here.
My humble abode is www. muso-shop.com

There is huge rejoicement in the industry just now over the news.
My mobile hasn't stopped all night.

Interestingly, the remaining original owner, Pat Kelly, was in the MI trade rags recently, saying how "If it all went tits up, he'd simply open a small shop and offer a good service".
He'd have a fecking hard job considering he never spent a day on the shop floor his entire life.

Timely event.
I'm heading in there to pull some old strings and net me some juicy bargains for my home studio. :D

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Raffles wrote:
My humble abode is www. muso-shop.com

Looks great. From the feel of your site and the feedback in your guestbook, sounds like the kind of friendly, expert personal service that is so hard to find these days.

It's in today's papers...

Internet sees off instrument retailer Sound Control

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:
Looks great. From the feel of your site and the feedback in your guestbook, sounds like the kind of friendly, expert personal service that is so hard to find these days.
....and nigh on imossible to charge for, but cheers for that WO.

"Competition from the internet" my perfectly formed arse. :rofl:

I was once asked "What is the secret to Sound Control's success?", to which I replied, "It's not that they're better than everyone else, it's that they're not quite as bad".
They didn't move with the times, promoted all the brown nosers into management and got found out when other people started applying basics of business to the industry.

Get in there quick and start waving the folding stuff under their noses.
Keep the pressure on, they'll buckle.

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

I'm not a muso but it's looking like my daughter might be... and the guitar is on her to do list!

Next time I'm in Ayr I my have to pop in and say hello! :D

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Excellent Raffles. I am a pro muso. I work with my partner and we get really pee-ed off with crap service.

I see you sell drums, our bugbear is replacement skins for our Toca bongos. Heads for the toms, no prob - but bongo skins - nightmare. My OH feels like he must be the only person who plays percussion professionally in the country.
Arbiter have been sole distributors for Toca skins for years and its been the devils own job to get them when one splits, because Arbiter need a rocket up their arses on a GOOD day!
I now hear on the grapevine that Arbiter aren't handling Toca any more. We have a couple of spares, but when they go, it will be a prob getting new ones - and because we only want to buy one or two skins every so often, Sound Control weren't interested.
All they wanted was to sell us the PA and the instruments - and then when you need your Sax servicing, or your Keyboard repaired or a MOnitor or speaker or summat fixing....they just weren't bothered.

Thing is, they were present in most places. I'm not sorry they've gone because their attitude stank, but I am looking for reliable and efficient shops to supply the bits n bobs we need to keep our show on the road.
I'm in the Midlands, so Ayr is a bit out of my way!
But Ive bookmarked your site for future reference.

And nice to 'meet' you on here.
Smeggys is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hooked

Posted on

blozznob wrote:Excellent Raffles. I am a pro muso. I work with my partner and we get really pee-ed off with crap service.

I see you sell drums, our bugbear is replacement skins for our Toca bongos. Heads for the toms, no prob - but bongo skins - nightmare. My OH feels like he must be the only person who plays percussion professionally in the country.
Arbiter have been sole distributors for Toca skins for years and its been the devils own job to get them when one splits, because Arbiter need a rocket up their arses on a GOOD day!
I now hear on the grapevine that Arbiter aren't handling Toca any more. We have a couple of spares, but when they go, it will be a prob getting new ones
I don't deal with Arbiter, but I'll try and see what I can find out about Toca tommorrow for you.

- and because we only want to buy one or two skins every so often, Sound Control weren't interested.
All they wanted was to sell us the PA and the instruments - and then when you need your Sax servicing, or your Keyboard repaired or a MOnitor or speaker or summat fixing....they just weren't bothered.

Fraid that's a case of "Computer says no".
Since 98, nobody at store level, even store management could order anything that wasn't common stock.

Thing is, they were present in most places. I'm not sorry they've gone because their attitude stank, but I am looking for reliable and efficient shops to supply the bits n bobs we need to keep our show on the road.

Whereabouts in the midlands are you?
I used to be a rep in the trade (EV and Dynacord).
I can probably point you to a good store.

Likewise. :D

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Raffles wrote:
blozznob wrote:Excellent Raffles. I am a pro muso. I work with my partner and we get really pee-ed off with crap service.

I now hear on the grapevine that Arbiter aren't handling Toca any more. We have a couple of spares, but when they go, it will be a prob getting new ones
I don't deal with Arbiter, but I'll try and see what I can find out about Toca tommorrow for you.

- and because we only want to buy one or two skins every so often, Sound Control weren't interested.

Fraid that's a case of "Computer says no".
Since 98, nobody at store level, even store management could order anything that wasn't common stock.

Whereabouts in the midlands are you?
I used to be a rep in the trade (EV and Dynacord).
I can probably point you to a good store.

Likewise. :D

Thanks!!! :)
I'm told that Fender are taking over the U.K Toca account.
I've been getting the bongo skins from Rattle & Drum in Derby. I ring them, and if they have them in stock they post them to me. If they don't have them in stock we have to wait for Arbiter to get some and it can take an age. Hopefully now Fender are in charge, it may be less hassle. But this is often the way when a punter is only wanting something for £20 every so many months. Arbiter, like Sound Control only seem to want to sell you big stuff and then afterwards if you need anything they aren't listening.
I never could understand that because we all need to change PA every so often, or buy a new instrument and if a store hasn't taken care of our little purchases, sticks, skins, sax reeds etc, we won't go to them when we buy a new rig.
We are 35 mins from Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield and about an hour from Leicester and Brum.
We have been buying our stuff from Chameleon near Leicester lately. We have HK Actor PA and Chameleon do repairs etc but don't stock bongo skins and stuff.
Appreciate any info you can find about Fender and Toca skins.

You are a fine chap!

Hooked

Next

Return to Music