Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

SOUND CONTROL IN LIQUIDATION

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

blozznob wrote:I'm told that Fender are taking over the U.K Toca account.
I've been getting the bongo skins from Rattle & Drum in Derby. I ring them, and if they have them in stock they post them to me. If they don't have them in stock we have to wait for Arbiter to get some and it can take an age. Hopefully now Fender are in charge, it may be less hassle. But this is often the way when a punter is only wanting something for £20 every so many months. Arbiter, like Sound Control only seem to want to sell you big stuff and then afterwards if you need anything they aren't listening.
I never could understand that because we all need to change PA every so often, or buy a new instrument and if a store hasn't taken care of our little purchases, sticks, skins, sax reeds etc, we won't go to them when we buy a new rig.
We are 35 mins from Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield and about an hour from Leicester and Brum.
We have been buying our stuff from Chameleon near Leicester lately. We have HK Actor PA and Chameleon do repairs etc but don't stock bongo skins and stuff.
Appreciate any info you can find about Fender and Toca skins.

You are a fine chap!


Okely Dokely.
Spoke to Pete, who's the percussion guy down at Fender.
All they currently have 'Tocawise' is the stock taken back from Arbiter, however....
.....they're expecting a big shipment in July and hope to cover the whole range properly.
I've got a reverse perspective on the Sound Control thing though.
Despite a wealth of knowledge on PA, people won't come to me for it, in fact they don't come to me for any major purchases.
What I do get enquiries for, are all the niggly little one-off, low turnover, zero profit items. Maybe that will change with SC's demise, who can say.
Another great store in your area is Electromusic in Doncaster.
The PA guy Pip, is a legend.
In fact, they're all good guys.
They're sprawled out over the top end of Copley road.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Raffles wrote:
blozznob wrote:I'm told that Fender are taking over the U.K Toca account.
I've been getting the bongo skins from Rattle & Drum in Derby. I ring them, and if they have them in stock they post them to me. If they don't have them in stock we have to wait for Arbiter to get some and it can take an age. Hopefully now Fender are in charge, it may be less hassle. But this is often the way when a punter is only wanting something for £20 every so many months. Arbiter, like Sound Control only seem to want to sell you big stuff and then afterwards if you need anything they aren't listening.
I never could understand that because we all need to change PA every so often, or buy a new instrument and if a store hasn't taken care of our little purchases, sticks, skins, sax reeds etc, we won't go to them when we buy a new rig.
We are 35 mins from Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield and about an hour from Leicester and Brum.
We have been buying our stuff from Chameleon near Leicester lately. We have HK Actor PA and Chameleon do repairs etc but don't stock bongo skins and stuff.
Appreciate any info you can find about Fender and Toca skins.

You are a fine chap!


Okely Dokely.
Spoke to Pete, who's the percussion guy down at Fender.
All they currently have 'Tocawise' is the stock taken back from Arbiter, however....
.....they're expecting a big shipment in July and hope to cover the whole range properly.
I've got a reverse perspective on the Sound Control thing though.
Despite a wealth of knowledge on PA, people won't come to me for it, in fact they don't come to me for any major purchases.
What I do get enquiries for, are all the niggly little one-off, low turnover, zero profit items. Maybe that will change with SC's demise, who can say.
Another great store in your area is Electromusic in Doncaster.
The PA guy Pip, is a legend.
In fact, they're all good guys.
They're sprawled out over the top end of Copley road.



Yeah, obviously with repairs and servicing, your punter needs someone local so they can get it sorted in time for the next gig and when buying large - heavy items, like PA rigs etc, your punter is going to want to see,hear and touch it, so the local large stores like Sound Control are going to get all that business.

As you can appreciate, Ayr is a bit far for us to come & visit. :oops:
Hopefully as you say, now there is no SC near your neck of the woods you should pick up some of their business. I hope so.
Never been to Electromusic, although I have seen their stickers in many a 'luxurious' dressing room. :D
And Doncaster is about an hour away. So if you say they are decent guys, we will give them a try next time.
Thanks for telling us about them.

Also many thanks about the Fender info.
I really cannot believe my Other Half is the only person in the whole of the UK who plays Toca custom deluxe bongos.
But if Fender do not take over the sales of these replacement heads, we'll have to try and get someone from the US to ship them over, OR buy some inferior Bongos that we CAN get skins easily for - but we pride ourselves on having top notch gear. So if it has to be the latter we won't be very happy.
Maybe I should write to Shiela E. :D
Many thanks for taking the time to find out the info for me.
Much appreciated.
:cool1:

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

NP.
Just as a matter of interest....what do you use for PA?

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Raffles wrote:NP.
Just as a matter of interest....what do you use for PA?


HK audio - 'Actor' rig. [powered]
Monitors are Carlsbro [powered] wedge with graphic equalisers.
We are saving up for HK monitors but they are bloody expensive!!!! :D

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

blozznob wrote:
Raffles wrote:NP.
Just as a matter of interest....what do you use for PA?


HK audio - 'Actor' rig. [powered]
Monitors are Carlsbro [powered] wedge with graphic equalisers.
We are saving up for HK monitors but they are bloody expensive!!!! :D

If you can find any, check out the Dynacord Powered wedge.
The powered wedge will power the matching passive one.
They're brill.
Really loud.
Not cheap either though.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Raffles wrote:
blozznob wrote:
Raffles wrote:NP.
Just as a matter of interest....what do you use for PA?


HK audio - 'Actor' rig. [powered]
Monitors are Carlsbro [powered] wedge with graphic equalisers.
We are saving up for HK monitors but they are bloody expensive!!!! :D

If you can find any, check out the Dynacord Powered wedge.
The powered wedge will power the matching passive one.
They're brill.
Really loud.
Not cheap either though.



The HK buggers are as much as their top cabs! So I will check them out.
We have 3 powered ones daisy chained across us. We like LOUD! :D And I like a different graphic mix to my OH, so we can each have what we want this way.

Again, now Carlsbro have gone we are having difficulty getting bits and bobs to repair our Monitors. Its a shame because they sound so clear. They were about £375 each, but the HK things are between £500 and £700! :D

As you know times are a bit hard at the mo, and us Muso's live from hand to mouth any way, so, as I said - we are saving up. :D

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Carlsbro are gone???

http://www.carlsbro.co.uk/

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Raffles wrote:Carlsbro are gone???

http://www.carlsbro.co.uk/


A local guy who used to be an engineer there and who does basic repairs for a small Music shop near us, says the factory [in Nottingham somewhere] has closed and the bits and bobs are hard to get hold of.
Do you think he's telling us stories?
I just believed what he said. Gullible or WHAT?
Although, some of the knobs on one of the graphics got knocked off and he kept us waiting 3 months for the new ones.

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I dunno tbh.
Latterly they were mostly selling 'badged' chinese crap.
I kind of told the then MD what I thought of him. ;)

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Posts: 3600
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:47 pm
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Raffles wrote:I dunno tbh.
Latterly they were mostly selling 'badged' chinese crap.
I kind of told the then MD what I thought of him. ;)



Yeah, I think someone has just bought the name and is using it on any old stuff.

Our Carlsbro Monitors are clear as a bell, which is why we bought them instead of others we tested at the time. But like a lot of things.....they don't make 'em like that anymore!

Good forums are like the Hotel California. You can check out...........but you can never leave.

User avatar
Hooked
Posts: 275
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:43 pm
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Previous

Return to Music

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests