Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

why is Cliff Richard banned from the airwaves?

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Apparently he is (unofficially) blacklisted by radio DJs.

Cliff Richard: I had to release a single under a false name to win airtime from ageist radio bosses

The singer, 67, gave his first full account of how he had even released a single under a false name in a desperate attempt to win some airtime.

He said that although the song was a hit it was withdrawn when he revealed his identity.

Is there a good reason why? :confused:

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

I sympathise with Cliff. Although his music for me is long past it's best, this is a symptom of a larger demise in radio. DJs, instead of playing a variety of new releases, are desperate now to lure the youth market. Much music radio has become a ghetto as a result - with indie, dance and rap the new 'cool' things to play.

Cliff had a rennaissance in his music in the late 70s / early 80s. Then, it was ok to play his stuff.

If Cliff ever does make another decent record, how sad that the current arbiters of 'taste' would deem it unfit for airplay.

Posted on

Despite all the air time and sound bites given to racism, the commonest 'ism' in the UK is ageism, well ahead of racism and sexism. I suspect it is because more political impact is made if racism is brought into the equation. It is the 'in' deadly sin at the mo.

Everyone rushes to the mike to proclaim how non-racist they are, I feel like finding a bucket.:vomit: Prejudice of ANY kind is abhorrent, but you'd never guess it, the way racism crops up centre stage, time..after time.. after time.

I don't rate Cliff too much these days but I don't see why he is banned, FFS. This is getting ridiculous. I am still annoyed about them getting rid of Jimmy Young. He ran a very good programme on R2.

It was the same with Moyra Stewart. I have always thought she was gorgeous: glamorous and classy, her speaking voice impeccable, but she was " too old", it seems. :roll:

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

It is ageism and it he is right to call it.

I am a definite non fan, but it is silly for DJs to blacklist a particular artist. Even unofficially - and even as a joke in order to appear "hip". If a particular piece of music doesn't fit they style they want to play then don't play it, but how do they know what an artist will produce in the future.

Ageism is the new ism that really does need to be addressed.

Smeggy's only D23 Member

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: In lurve

Posted on

I totally agree.

Ageism is rife and, despite recent legislation pertaining to employment, still considered somehow socially acceptable.

Super Smegster

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:I sympathise with Cliff. Although his music for me is long past it's best, this is a symptom of a larger demise in radio. DJs, instead of playing a variety of new releases, are desperate now to lure the youth market. Much music radio has become a ghetto as a result - with indie, dance and rap the new 'cool' things to play.

Cliff had a rennaissance in his music in the late 70s / early 80s. Then, it was ok to play his stuff.

If Cliff ever does make another decent record, how sad that the current arbiters of 'taste' would deem it unfit for airplay.

I guess they pander to the buyers of popular music records, which is usually the young.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”

I've learned that you shouldn't go through life with a catcher's mitt on both hands; you need to be able to throw something back.

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: hopeful

Posted on

Ms Honey wrote:Didn't Status Quo make the same claims about being unofficially banned from radio playlists?

Being dropped by Phonogram didnt help either. they now are on a budget label called Eagle iirc

I don't care how you look at me
Because I'm the one that you will see
We can make it work
We can make it right
Just give me half a minute & I'll tell you why
Rough Boy - ZZ Top

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Joe's Girl wrote:I guess they pander to the buyers of popular music records, which is usually the young.

They still shouldn't have a no - play policy. For better or worse, Cliff does come under the 'pop' heading. I seem to remember Radio 1 did a similar thing to Phil Collins for a while, but I'm not sure :confused:

Posted on

Cliff's been "banned" from Radio one for years hasn't he?

Posted on

Trixiebelle wrote:Cliff's been "banned" from Radio one for years hasn't he?

Yeah, funny when you hear some of the rubbish they play :roll:

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:
Trixiebelle wrote:Cliff's been "banned" from Radio one for years hasn't he?

Yeah, funny when you hear some of the rubbish they play :roll:

Even funnier when it hasn't affected his career one iota :rofl: :rofl:

Posted on

Trixiebelle wrote:Even funnier when it hasn't affected his career one iota :rofl: :rofl:

Well it's Uncle Cliff isn't it? He's got thousands of older female fans who'll always turn up for the concerts. His hit rate is pretty amazing over 40 + years; whatever radio does to him it won't really change that.

I just don't like the 'we know what's best' policy.

Posted on

I remember when IRON MAIDEN were banned, same with Status Quo because they had been around too long, however at the time people argued that The Rolling Stones and The Beatles should be banned too.

It's fucking crazy banning an artist or band for being around too long or just being old.

Perhaps Madonna and Kylie should be banned, both having been in the biz over 20 years, they are well past it....that was me being sarcastic in case you didn't notice.Image

Really Loves the Place!
Location: I hate being ignored, I have left the building again.
Current Mood: totally fucked off.

Posted on

Iron Maiden and Quo? How ridiculous :mad1: Who are these self appointed jerks? They've presided over the unhealthiest era of British music ever, and with their attitude they've helped to stamp on the corpse.

With TOTP gone, Cowell controlling the TV market and these bozos running radio, there really is no hope left.

Bring back shows like The Old Grey Whistle Test and radio presenters with the eclectic spirit of John Peel - then we might be giving the little remaining serious music a chance.

Posted on

John Peel was great... he championed many great bands and gave them the chance of airplay when they started out, that they otherwise wouldn't have got

Super Smegster

Posted on

AH yes, John Peel, just think where a lot of bands would be if he was never on Radio.

I miss him, one of a kind.

Really Loves the Place!
Location: I hate being ignored, I have left the building again.
Current Mood: totally fucked off.

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music