Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Nick Cave

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I loves me some Nick Cave. He's been a hero of mine for many years, and I have no idea how many times I've seen the bugger live. Tickets for the Bad Seeds show in May went on sale this morning, and by a miracle I managed to get one, even though they sold out in about ten minutes flat (the unfortunate thing is that none of my friends managed to get any, so it looks like I'll be going on my own).

The Grinderman album was great, but still not quite as good as The Bad Seeds, who I was fairly sure were no longer a going concern. So I was overjoyed to fiund out that not only are they playing, there's a new album out next month (currently trying to blag an advance copy for review).

In, what, about 25 years in the music business, Mr Cave has only written one song that I don't like. To be fair, I absolutely hate it (it's Rock Of Gibraltar off the album Nocturama, and it's fucking atrocious), but still, that's not a bad batting average, really.

Anyone else a fan, and anyone else going to see them on this tour?

"Pirates and bank-robbers, not lawyers or CEOs. Stockbrokers ain't your heroes"- The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Really Hooked!
Location: Behind the mask, with the idea. Because ideas are bulletproof.
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Lovesick, broke and driftin'

Posted on

Ah... I seem to recall discussing Mr. Cave with you before Stoat. I never did get round to looking up his other stuff but I've always liked the track he did with Kylie "Where the Wild Roses Grow". Very dark and his voice is so very deep it makes the ambience extra menacing and eerie!

I must see what I can find on youtube when I've got the time.

Really Hooked!

Posted on

I'm a relatively new fan of Nick Cave. I really like his voice. I've only got "The Boatman's Call" CD. But he also sings 2 songs on my "Leonard Cohen ~ I'm Your Man" CD that are great. I'll head over to YouTube also and view some Nick! :thumb:

ImageImage

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Oh, and if you're into movies, and haven't already seen it, watch The Proposition. He wrote the screenplay and did the soundtrack. It's a fairly brutal piece of film, but it's really rather good.

"Pirates and bank-robbers, not lawyers or CEOs. Stockbrokers ain't your heroes"- The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Really Hooked!

Posted on

stoatie wrote:Oh, and if you're into movies, and haven't already seen it, watch The Proposition. He wrote the screenplay and did the soundtrack. It's a fairly brutal piece of film, but it's really rather good.

Thanks for the info :thumb: I'll look for it.

ImageImage

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

stoatie wrote:Oh, and if you're into movies, and haven't already seen it, watch The Proposition. He wrote the screenplay and did the soundtrack. It's a fairly brutal piece of film, but it's really rather good.

The first time I heard of Nick Cave was seeing him star in a cheesy film with Brad Pitt called Johnny Suede that I actually rather like (it's quifftastic!) :o. Does he also still act?

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:

The first time I heard of Nick Cave was seeing him star in a cheesy film with Brad Pitt called Johnny Suede that I actually rather like (it's quifftastic!) :o. Does he also still act?

He doesn't actually appear in The Proposition, but he was in Hillcoat's first film, Ghosts Of The Civil Dead. And he also appeared in Wim Wenders' Wings Of Desire, as himself.

Don't think he's done any acting for ages, but his screenplay for The Proposition was very well-received critically. He also did the soundtrack (with Warren Ellis, but not the one who writes comics) for The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford.

...oh, and Johnny Suede is excellent! Haven't seen that in years; thanks for reminding me about it.

Really Hooked!

Posted on

stoatie wrote:
...oh, and Johnny Suede is excellent! Haven't seen that in years; thanks for reminding me about it.

yeah it's good ain't it :): Also a young Samuel L Jackson.

♫ Some people call me a teenage idol... :D

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

Bookends wrote:Ah... I seem to recall discussing Mr. Cave with you before Stoat. I never did get round to looking up his other stuff but I've always liked the track he did with Kylie "Where the Wild Roses Grow". Very dark and his voice is so very deep it makes the ambience extra menacing and eerie!

I must see what I can find on youtube when I've got the time.

Off of 'Murder Ballards' one of his best in my opinion.

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music