Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Morrissey on Jools Holland next Friday

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Heads up... Just saw this in the telly guide for next week. :yippee:

Apparently he's on it to promote his new Greatest Hits album. Hopefully that should mean singing classic Smiths and Morrissey songs. :):

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

Thanks for the headsup WO :)

Did you see him perform on Jonathan Ross on Friday night?

Posted on

Ms Honey wrote:Thanks for the headsup WO :)

Did you see him perform on Jonathan Ross on Friday night?

Argggh, no I didn't. I didn't even know he was on.

I'm off to watch on BBC iplayer now, the VOD should be there shouldn't it. Cheers :):

Super Smegster

Posted on

Hm. so evidently he didn't want to be interviewed this time.

Must say he's aged a lot :eek4: I always think of him as his younger self of the Smiths era :o

Super Smegster

Posted on

Yes he has aged a lot. I think its funny that he now looks like your average Mancunian bloke of his age, yet he is so dismissive of his Mancuanian roots! (I still love him though :oops: )

Have you ever seen him live?

Posted on

I saw him at Wembley Arena - brilliant show. No one matches him for charisma IMO.

Posted on

That sounds fab, musty. I've twice tried to get tickets but failed :(

I saw The Smiths twice though. The first time was at Lancaster Uni in 1983. My friend and I hitched a lift from Manchester :eek:

It was fab though! What Difference Does it Make had just hit the charts at that time :)

Posted on

Ms Honey wrote:That sounds fab, musty. I've twice tried to get tickets but failed :(

I saw The Smiths twice though. The first time was at Lancaster Uni in 1983. My friend and I hitched a lift from Manchester :eek:

It was fab though! What Difference Does it Make had just hit the charts at that time :)

I never saw the Smiths, but I followed their career all the way. I used to buy the 12 inch singles, as the B sides were always so great.

Lyrically, Morrissey is far and away the best we've ever had IMO; his portrayals of Manchester, his own emotions, and a range of other issues most writers wouldn't even consider are brilliant. Neither is he the 'miserabalist' many like to typecast him as - some songs contain really funny moments, with a great deal of wit.

A genius.

Posted on

I totally agree! Whilst many of his songs are quite angst-ridden, many are humourous and some merely descriptive in a very accepting sort of way.

I saw him being interviewed about a year ago and the interviewer commented on his most recent album as some of the songs have a sexual reference. He suggested that Morrissey had never written about love or sex before. Mozza replied "haven't I?" and did that slightly smug smile he does!

I think he has sung about love and sex quite a lot ...maybe some people don't see it because he doesn't use the "hump me all night long, baby" kind of lyrics?

Posted on

That's a good point Honey. Lots of Morrissey songs are passionate - Stretch Out And Wait, Tomorrow, Late Night, Maudlin Street and many others.

Who else could come up with the line 'Let me get my hands on your mammary glands'? ( from Handsome Devil ) :D

Posted on

...or "There are explosive kegs Between my legs Dear God, please help me" (from Dear God, Please Help Me) :D

Posted on

Ok fellow Smiths/Morrissey fans, I've just discovered that this month's Mojo Magazine features The Smiths on the retro front cover and an article described thus...

THE SMITHS & INDIE ROCK: A 24-page spectacular of inspirational, oppositional pop thrills. Featuring a revealing delve inside the tortured mind of Morrissey, Mike Joyce’s bittersweet Smiths memoir, and the deathless genius of This Charming Man.

It also comes with a free CD of classic British indie tracks.

http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2008/01/ ... _2008.html

Posted on

Ms Honey wrote:...or "There are explosive kegs Between my legs Dear God, please help me" (from Dear God, Please Help Me) :D

The orchestral arrangement on that song is stunning - well into his career Morrissey still cares deeply about the quality of his music.

You Are The Quarry is one of his best IMO, full of great melodies and lyrics :)

Posted on

That free CD cover is quite Smith-ish.

Super Smegster

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:That free CD cover is quite Smith-ish.

A similar photo to that was nearly used for a Smiths record cover. It may be the same one actually, I believe it's Diana Dors in the film Yield To The Night.

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:A similar photo to that was nearly used for a Smiths record cover. It may be the same one actually, I believe it's Diana Dors in the film Yield To The Night.

Cheers musty. :):

btw, your 12" singles must be worth quite a bit now, I imagine. The Smiths original vinyl records are highly collectable.

Super Smegster

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:Cheers musty. :):

btw, your 12" singles must be worth quite a bit now, I imagine. The Smiths original vinyl records are highly collectable.

I didn't realise that. I also have early Morrissey solo vinyl 12 inch singles too.

Just the subjects in these alone are amazing - crime ( Famous International Playboys ), addiction ( Interesting Drug ), disability ( November Spawned A Monster ), teenage runaways ( Piccadilly Palare ), supernatural powers ( Ouija Board, Ouija Board ).

There's no other artist to my knowledge who's covered such a broad range of topics in their lyrics. Many of which aren't even touched on in music.

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:I didn't realise that. I also have early Morrissey solo vinyl 12 inch singles too.

Yeah so take good care of your collection :):

Especially as his cover art photos were really interesting. There's a famous one of a young Terence Stamp holding a pad of chloroform from a film, for the cover of "What difference does it make?". Stamp initially withheld permission, so it was replaced with Morrissey re-enacting the pose holding a glass of milk. Then later Stamp changed his mind and gave permission after Sandie Shaw (mutual friend of both) had a word with him, and it was reprinted again with the Stamp picture. So the one with Morrissey is particularly rare and collectible now.

But they are all very collectible. Just don't make 'em anymore in today's world of mp3 downloads.

Just the subjects in these alone are amazing - crime ( Famous International Playboys ), addiction ( Interesting Drug ), disability ( November Spawned A Monster ), teenage runaways ( Piccadilly Palare ), supernatural powers ( Ouija Board, Ouija Board ).

There's no other artist to my knowledge who's covered such a broad range of topics in their lyrics. Many of which aren't even touched on in music.

Totally agree. I think Ouija board ouija board is a really humorous song. :jester:

Super Smegster

Posted on

'Peepholism' by Jo Slee is a great book Oracle. She worked with Morrissey from the early Smiths days through to his solo career. She helped him with the artwork, and the book has the full story on Terrence Stamp, Pat Pheonix and all the other stars that Morrrissey selected for the sleeves and backdrops.

Posted on

That book looks great. I love the picture on the front cover.

The book is £78 on Amazon! :eek:

Looks like it's quit hard to get hold of too.

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music