Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Favourite radio presenters

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Do you have any favourite radio presenters?

Mine is Nick Abbot, currently presenting the 1930-2200 weekday evening show on LBC. 'Hilarious' isn't the word. He has me in stitches of laughter. If dry, cutting, quick-witted sarcasm is your thing, you can listen live online by clicking here.

I also like Tom Binns; he's hilarious as well, especially when he was doing the late-night phone-in on Hallam FM here in Sheffield a few years ago.

I do enjoy listening to Scottie McClue also; his ability to antagonise people is second-to-none. :D

Simon James and Hill are good for a listen as well. I've heard them all over the place though I listened to them most when they were on Virgin Radio in the days of *sigh* Jeremy Kyle. They're on Kerrang Radio in the West Midlands though, I believe.

Daryl Denham, currently on the Real Radio Yorkshire breakfast show is very funny as well and I listen when I can, though my routine doesn't really fit in with the whole breakfast show style. :o

I sometimes tune into Chris Moyles on Radio 1 and whilst I'm not a fan as such, he can sometimes make me laugh.

They're some of the presenters I enjoy, though for me, no-one beats radio God Nick Abbot.

Who, on radio do you like?

Misanthropic Trucker
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl

Posted on

Lesley Riddoch (freelance but when I hear her she's on Radio Scotland) gutsy, ballsy, no nonsense current affairs journo-presenter. Does great phone-ins and never lets the politicians/apparatchiks/councillors/callers off the hook or hide behind meaningless jargon . Gives everyone a hard time, regardless! But also has a sense of humour.

Fabulous woman. Used to edit a feminist magazine called Harpies and Quines

She was also involved in the Isle of Eigg Community Buyout ( Eigg more recently being on the news for getting electricity) - this is how the Herald describes her...

'It is entirely appropriate that Lesley Riddoch, the Broadcaster and larger than life feminist, should be actively involved in Eigg.' ... 'The other name for Eigg is the Island of the Big Woman. These were the Big Women who spurned St Donnan's Christian ways in favour of pagan pratices. Conflict was inevitable as a result St Donnan was beheaded and de-balled by the big woman. Those, who know Ms Riddoch will confirm that nothing much has changed.

so yes, Lesley Riddoch. Great presenter.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

You know I don't actually have a favourite radio presenter, I just listen to whichever station is not irritating me at that present time :oops: I listen to loads of different radio stations but still have not got a favourite presenter - I will have to try and find one, there has to be someone I like out there..... :chin:

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun

Posted on

CandyPink wrote:You know I don't actually have a favourite radio presenter, I just listen to whichever station is not irritating me at that present time :oops: I listen to loads of different radio stations but still have not got a favourite presenter - I will have to try and find one, there has to be someone I like out there..... :chin:

I used to listen to Tom Davies on TFM a few years ago when he did the late-night talk show. He was very funny and witty and made me laugh quite a bit. We can get TFM down here, albeit a bit crackly. No Metro Radio though, but they are both owned by Emap, the company who owns the local radio station here, Hallam FM. Antony Collins on TFM is good as well; he used to do the breakfast show here on Galaxy Yorkshire about seven years or so ago.

I'm like that with radio stations; I tend to tune around a bit too. I do enjoy talk shows, especially amusing ones with no set topic, but I do like music stations as well.

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

No Chance wrote:I used to listen to Tom Davies on TFM a few years ago when he did the late-night talk show. He was very funny and witty and made me laugh quite a bit. We can get TFM down here, albeit a bit crackly. No Metro Radio though, but they are both owned by Emap, the company who owns the local radio station here, Hallam FM. Antony Collins on TFM is good as well; he used to do the breakfast show here on Galaxy Yorkshire about seven years or so ago.

I'm like that with radio stations; I tend to tune around a bit too. I do enjoy talk shows, especially amusing ones with no set topic, but I do like music stations as well.

I listen to TFM although not too often so I don't know any of the presenters too well but I will tune in tomorrow and listen out for the ones you mentioned, thanks :thumb:

Metro I find can drive me nuts, the adverts repeating every ten minutes, the same songs day after day and the presenters can wind me up on occasions, although I do like Tony Horne and Captain marky Mark, although you probably have no idea who I am on about :oops:

I can get a few Yorkshire radio stations on my DAB actually. I might tune into a couple and see how I like them.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

CandyPink wrote:Metro I find can drive me nuts, the adverts repeating every ten minutes, the same songs day after day and the presenters can wind me up on occasions, although I do like Tony Horne and Captain marky Mark, although you probably have no idea who I am on about :oops:

I can get a few Yorkshire radio stations on my DAB actually. I might tune into a couple and see how I like them.

Hallam FM is very much like that; playing the same songs all day long, day in, day out. I don't know if it's changed or not now, but all the 'Big City' stations Emap own used to play the exact same songs at the same time. Here I can get Hallam, obviously, TFM, Hull's Viking FM and Leeds' Aire FM and when one played a song, the others would be playing it too. There's just no variety any more. :cry: Oh, I can get Century FM from up your way as well, but I've not listened to it for a while.

I haven't heard of those presenters, but I'll look them up now. I'm always on the lookout for new presenters to listen to! Thanks for the tip! :thumb:

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

Well, Nick Abbot has to be number one on my list. There isn't any other presenter I regularly record.

Most of my other listening is Radio 5 live. On there I reckon Simon Mayo is one of the best presenters. He can get something good out of even the worst guests. Rhod Sharp is the originator and very excellent presenter of the Up All Night programme from Monday to Wednesday (well Tuesday to Thursday if you want to get picky - the show is 1am to 5am). Funny how they are both younger than me yet look older - presenting must be a stressful job. :)

Also worth a mention on R5 are Richard Bacon, returning from his honeymoon this Monday, he's a big improvement on Anita Anand, who was very 'head girl'ish in her last days. And Peter Allan on the drive programme, he got turned down by Radio 4 as a presenter on their Today programme to replace John Humphrys, 'coz he's an Essex chap without a degree; but I suspect the main reason is that he has a sense of humour and isn't dull as ditchwater - unlike the present incumbents. It's all so different from the Brian Redhead / Jack de Manio / John Timpson days.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

The late Ray Moore was always a favourite of mine, a bit like Alex Lester is now, off the wall. Agree about Binns, he did BRMB drive until quite recent, used to rip the piss out of the station something cruel! In the end he got his marching orders!
I mainly listen to Radio 4 / Five Live now but have the odd burst of Kerrang / 6 Music when i want some tunes. Can't be doing with the countless stations all playing I Will Survive and Dancing Queen all bloody day

I am the God of Hell Fire

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

diablo wrote:Well, Nick Abbot has to be number one on my list. There isn't any other presenter I regularly record.

There isn't any other presenter I religiously tune-in to, but every week night without fail, I'm listening to LBC. He's beyond awesome. I do like other presenters on LBC too; Clive Bull's okay, as is James O'Brien. Nick Ferrari isn't bad either, but I'm very rarely up to listen to him.

Sir Arthur Pringle wrote:Agree about Binns, he did BRMB drive until quite recent, used to rip the piss out of the station something cruel! In the end he got his marching orders!

Tom Binns is absolutely excellent. When he moved to BRMB I listened online, but I really think he suits phone-ins more where he can dominate and allow more of his fantastic sense of humour to shine through. I can well believe he was sacked; when he was on XFM doing the Tom Binns Breakfast Show he was sacked and Ofcom fined XFM £50,000 for his on-air conduct! Having a go at the station on-air is exactly the kind of thing he'd do. He once called big-name ex-Hallam FM presenters Dave Kilner and Howard Pressman "twats", though it was about 0050 or something. It was highly unexpected, but very funny at the same time. :o

I hope he's back on-air again somewhere very soon. He's a brilliant, understated talent and radio needs people like him. I'll never forget, back in 2002 when he was doing 'The Tom Binns Thing', his phone-in on Hallam FM and Nick Abbot was doing his networked Real Radio show at the same time; it was around midnight-ish one night and he said something like "we've got almost a full switchboard and Nick Abbot on Real Radio is begging for calls! Real Radio indeed. Radio doesn't get any more real than this!" I couldn't stop laughing. :D I was actually listening to both of them at the same time (albeit with difficulty!) and Tom was right; Nick was asking for calls! It was just a really funny bit of radio.

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

the late Mike Dickin.
Fi Glover.

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

Charlie Wolf has popped up as a guest on 5Live now :eek4:

Super Smegster

Posted on

Steve Allen from LBC 97.3 and Paul Miller from BBC Radio Kent :)

Fine Barman!

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:Charlie Wolf has popped up as a guest on 5Live now :eek4:

I saw him commenting on something or other about a week ago on BBC News 24, but I can't for the life of me remember just what he was talking about now. I don't agree with his views sometimes, but he can make for a very good listen.

chinchin wrote:Steve Allen from LBC 97.3 and Paul Miller from BBC Radio Kent :)

Ah yes, Steve Allen; I forgot about him! I'm very rarely up when he's on, but when I have listened to him in the past, he's had me in hysterics. He can be very bitchy at times, but it's very funny. I remember him going on a right tirade about Jade Goody and her house once; I nearly collapsed laughing!

Iain Lee was good on LBC too, despite all the lunatics that phoned up, but I must say I prefer Nick Abbot. Jon Holmes was good on LBC as well; he had a similar random style to Mr Abbot. Oh- and Bill Buckley; another presenter I enjoy listening to. I saw him on BBC News 24 last night, in fact. Mind you, when he sings it's positively terrifying! :D

Misanthropic Trucker

Posted on

Scott Mills

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Steve Allen, Nick Ferrari (please tell me I spelt his name right :oops:

Steve Allen is brilliant!

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

the SAVIOUR of RADIO 1

;)

EH, EH, EHHH !!

not so noobywooby

Posted on

I actually like Russell Brand's show on Saturday nights on Radio 2.

I also love Rick Wakeman on Planet Rock on Saturday mornings. Very funny show and great music. :thumb: :thumb: :jig:

On a roll!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

Bacchus wrote:I actually like Russell Brand's show on Saturday nights on Radio 2.

I also love Rick Wakeman on Planet Rock on Saturday mornings. Very funny show and great music. :thumb: :thumb: :jig:

Russell Brand's show is brilliant,i tuned in last saturday to find hes on holiday at the moment,Chris Evans is good,and so is Johnathan Ross,i do alot of driving so listen to the radio alot :D

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Bacchus wrote:I actually like Russell Brand's show on Saturday nights on Radio 2.

Planet Rock is closing down at the end of March unless they can find a buyer :mad1:

I am the God of Hell Fire

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Stuart Maconie and Mark Radcliffe. Likable hosts, interesting, a good range of music and completely non irritating. :)

Really Loves Smeggy's

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music