Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

The best and worst years for music

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

The best; 1979, the tail end of the punk and disco scene( The Skids, Blondie, Gloria Gaynor), the second wave of metal bands emerging after punk, Two Tone and ska, the mod revival, the beginnings of the electronic scene with Gary Numan, and the most unfestive no1 hit ever, Another Brick in ther Wall by Pink Floyd.
The worst; either 1989 or 1990, God awful house music, scruffy indie bands, boring American hair metal, the whole Madchester scene( grrrr), and the dreaded PWL hit factory
Also on my good/excellent music years: 1956( when rock and roll broke through), 1963-70( the whole Beatles period), 1972( glam rock), 1973( ditto 1972, also Pink Floyd's finest hour), 1977( golden year for disco and also for punks), 1978( ditto 1977), 1980( so much variety and the start of the new romantic era), 1981( British music ruled the world), 1984-85( the breakthrough years for Prince and Madonna and some fine home grown music), 1995-96 Brtish guitarmusic fights back against dance crap), 2003( the rock revival).
Also on my poor years: 1960-62( tame ballads and the end of rock and roll), 1971( no Beatles and no clear focus in music, eg Grandad by Clive Dunn), 1988( Kylie and Jason, need I say more, though the American rock scene was better), 1992( rave crap and records based on computer game music), 1999-2000( boy bands and dance records ruled unfortunately).
All other years classed as average.

Really Loves the Place!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!

Posted on

Stock, Aitken & Waterman killed music, but I also find Dixieland Jazz repugnant.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

Raffles wrote:Stock, Aitken & Waterman killed music, but I also find Dixieland Jazz repugnant.

The Hit Factory- creators of such no wit talentless and samey acts as Sinitta, Sonia and Mel and Kim, music for Shaz and Trace to dance round their handbags to in the local Roxy circa 1987.
However, for the golden era of music it would have to be the late 70s/early 80s as there was so much variety and the charts were so exciting. From metal to country and even occasionally classical music, the Top 40 was never so varied and interesting.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Glenn A wrote:
Raffles wrote:Stock, Aitken & Waterman killed music, but I also find Dixieland Jazz repugnant.

The Hit Factory- creators of such no wit talentless and samey acts as Sinitta, Sonia and Mel and Kim, music for Shaz and Trace to dance round their handbags to in the local Roxy circa 1987.
However, for the golden era of music it would have to be the late 70s/early 80s as there was so much variety and the charts were so exciting. From metal to country and even occasionally classical music, the Top 40 was never so varied and interesting.

I'll go along with that!! And let's not forget the Dance Music of those times!! Some classic stuff!! But is this to do with our age? The music of our late teens/early 20s.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Glenn A wrote:

I'll go along with that!! And let's not forget the Dance Music of those times!! Some classic stuff!! But is this to do with our age? The music of our late teens/early 20s.

Yes some of the disco records were masterpieces: Donna Summer in particular. Then at the end of the decade British music seemed to be the best in the world and sold massively in America where it was considered fresh and innovative. The period from 1977 to 1982 was excellent, but don't also forget the experimentation and progression in rock music that occured in the late sixties and the glam rock period which made rock accessible and fun for the average music fan.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

The eighties were great until they came along and ruined it. :mad:

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Jim_UK wrote:

The eighties were great until they came along and ruined it. :mad:

Agreed, British music was good until 1987 and then it went on a downward spiral for the rest of the decade. However, this period saw some excellent metal coming out of America such as Guns n Roses, Metallica and Megadeth, so there was an alternative to PWL and that house bollocks that appeared around 1989. Wonder what Black Box are doing now and if they are having a world tour so I can see that chick mime badly in pidgin English to their chart topper Ride on Time? Huh, as if, G n R are back in business and I can't wait to get my copy of Chinese Democracy.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Guns 'n' Roses are great.
New album is worth listening to again and again, downloaded it and I've decided to buy it proper.

My favourite time for music is 1967-1985. Only 25 so still have a lot to listen to, never without good music thanks to the internet. :cool1:

Sit on my Facebook!

Posted on

for me the best music was from the late 70's till the early 90's then it all went down the pan

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

I loved the early Rolling Stones stuff, Motown and never forget Queen! Great group.

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Dolls wrote:I loved the early Rolling Stones stuff, Motown and never forget Queen! Great group.

AWWWWWWW dolls the late great freddie mercury ...what a showman ... a great loss when he died

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Live Aid was a climax for music!

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

Raffles wrote:Live Aid was a climax for music!

Spot on Raffles. Fantastic concert. Awww those were the days. :thumb:

That last video *Those were the days of our lives* breaks my heart everytime I watch it. Poor darling looked so ill

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Return to Music