Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

I never knew he had gone missing.

"After years of mystery and speculation surrounding his disappearance, Manic Street Preachers guitarist Richey Edwards is now officially presumed dead, a band spokeswoman has confirmed.

The Welsh musician vanished 13 years ago, at the age of 27. Since then there have been hundreds of alleged sightings across the world, notably in hippy hotspots. Yet many believe Edwards, whose car was found near the Severn Bridge, took his own life. Edwards was considered the main creative force behind the band's early hits, including Motocycle Emptiness and You Love Us, as well as their heavy metal and punk-inspired image.

He famously carved the phrase "4 Real" into his arm after an NME journalist questioned how serious he was about his art. The guitarist's parents Graham and Sherry Edwards have now been granted a court order for him to be declared presumed dead, Manic Street Preachers publicist Terri Hall said.

Edwards' father, of Blackwood, South Wales, said he did not wish to comment on the matter. Ms Hall said the move was "hugely emotional" for remaining band members James Dean Bradfield, Nicky Wire and Sean Moore.

She told the Mail On Sunday: "This is the parents' choice and the band is happy to go with what the parents decide is best.
"We all dream Richey will come back one day. You hope he is still around somewhere. "But it is no longer a realistic hope and if this offers some kind of closure then the band will be content with that." The band are unavailable for comment as they are currently abroad, she said.

Edwards, also a lyricist for the band, was last seen in London on February 1, 1995. He is believed to have returned to his Cardiff flat before driving to the original Severn Bridge, where his car was later found.His parents have been granted control of his £455,990 estate, the Mail On Sunday reported."

Really Hooked!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Yeah, he was a hero of mine at the time- The Holy Bible, which he wrote most of the lyrics for when he was totally losing it, is one of my all-time favourite albums. I was gutted; it was all terribly sad.

(And the band really started going downhill afterwards, too...)

"Pirates and bank-robbers, not lawyers or CEOs. Stockbrokers ain't your heroes"- The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Really Hooked!
Location: Behind the mask, with the idea. Because ideas are bulletproof.
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Lovesick, broke and driftin'

Posted on

I can't believe its been 13 years already since he first disappeared I think he could be alive out there somewhere still and just runaway to get from the pressure of the success of the band.

Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Return to Music