Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Best Prog Rock band ever?

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

I was a huge Yes and Rick Wakeman Fan. Wakeman was the inspiration for my keyboard playing.

I would also nominate Deep Purple.

Child in time from Made in Japan- Classic

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

highway star live

They look soooooooo young :eek: :eek: :eek:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Camel- Arubaluba

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Yes for me....

From Close to the Edge: 'and you and i'

'an angel has no memory'

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Oh my two faves have not been mentioned but i just love these two bands!

King Crimson

Soft Machine

Posted on

Actually do these two qualify too, just put my MP3 collection on random play and these two started playing forgot all about them :thumb:

Dream Theater

Tangerine Dream

Posted on

At last some fans of the music that dare not speak its name especially when the NME is around. My favourite prog albums would have to be anything by Pink Floyd in the seventies, but esp Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Were Here, Pictures At An Exhibition by ELP, Tubular Bells and Fragile by Yes, before they went too pretentious. However, I go more for heavy rock of this period, being a huge fan of Led Zeppelin and Deep Purple, but prog isn't a problem.
One band that sort of got linked in with prog was the German experimental band Can. Try them, you might like them.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

oh I used to love Jethro Tull , Broadsword and the Beast

does that count?

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Tull are one of the best,Whirligig,and there has been mention of some really great bands so far,but try some of these.....

PFM.......anybody remember them?

Uriah Heep. Golden Earring. The Enid.

And some more modern ones that are definatly worth exploring.....

Quecia(pronounced que-see-a) ,Touchstone,Panic Room,Breathing Space,Dream Aria and Final Conflict. All well worth a listen.

Highway Star
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

John lee Pettimore wrote:Tull are one of the best,Whirligig,and there has been mention of some really great bands so far,but try some of these.....

PFM.......anybody remember them?

Uriah Heep. Golden Earring. The Enid.

And some more modern ones that are definatly worth exploring.....

Quecia(pronounced que-see-a) ,Touchstone,Panic Room,Breathing Space,Dream Aria and Final Conflict. All well worth a listen.

I know Robert and Steve from The Enid. I used to engineer at their studio The Lodge. Great characters!!

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Golden Earring! oh yes!

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

A good prog band who had a massive hit over here in 1973 were Focus from Amsterdam. Holland, with its large hippy culture, was a major draw for prog bands in the seventies and into the eighties as punk never really took off there.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

I wouldn't class Deep Purple as a prog rock band - more like a blues-based rock band.
The ones I listened to a lot were Yes, ELP, Gentle Giant, Gong, some of Todd Rundgren's output, Genesis (from Nursery Crime to Lamb Lies Down, and possibly A Trick of the Tail), King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator, Jethro Tull who had a bit of a foray into prog rock with Thick As A Brick and A Passion Play, Faust, Tangerine Dream (slightly).
Soft Machine - I only know their first album with Daevid Allen and Robert Wyatt, and "Bundles", the modern jazz one with Allan Holdsworth.
The only ones I still listen to are Yes, Gentle Giant, Gong and occassionally Edgar Froese's album "Aqua" (he's got a great website - http://www.edgarfroese.com/htm/enter.htm - I love the way you navigate around it)

I'd say Yes are my favourite. Or Gong. Or Gentle Giant's 3 albums "In A Glass House", "The Power and the Glory" & "Free Hand".

I remember PFM - stood for something like Premier Forneria Marconi (... looks on Google...) it's actually Premiata Forneria Marconi - not far out! Looks like they're still around - http://www.pfmpfm.it/eng/index.htm)

I don't know much contemporary prog rock. Deerhoof do a bit, and Thinking Plague.

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!

Posted on

I know Robert and Steve from The Enid. I used to engineer at their studio The Lodge. Great characters!![/quote]

Smeggy,I'm jealous,Robert was so eccentric it was un believable and Steve couldn't half play the guitar....'Inthe region of the Summer Stars' is a favourite.

He's not Prog,but Any one know Victor Brox,anothe reccentric character?

Highway Star
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

Cirkus by King Crimson is a prog classic with the immortal line I am a TV making bandsmen go clockwork. Also I went to school with Robert Fripp's niece, which is my prog rock claim to fame.
One thing this thread shows is there are more prog rock fans than the NME would realise.

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Glenn A wrote:Cirkus by King Crimson is a prog classic with the immortal line I am a TV making bandsmen go clockwork. Also I went to school with Robert Fripp's niece, which is my prog rock claim to fame.
One thing this thread shows is there are more prog rock fans than the NME would realise.

perhaps its an age-group thing -

I liked jethro tull when i was a teenager, round about the same time as I read and paid any attention to the NME - and havent done so since.

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:
Glenn A wrote:Cirkus by King Crimson is a prog classic with the immortal line I am a TV making bandsmen go clockwork. Also I went to school with Robert Fripp's niece, which is my prog rock claim to fame.

perhaps its an age-group thing -

I liked jethro tull when i was a teenager, round about the same time as I read and paid any attention to the NME - and havent done so since.

I used to listen to Jethro Tull around the same time as listening to Yes, I liked Thick as a Brick, Minstrel in the Gallery and Aqualung best I think, though the last two are more folk rock...

I never could get into Soft Machine, as much as I tried to... I gave it another go with the one that Star posted, but had to give it up again as for me they descend into utter chaos and I can't bear listening to it.... :oops: It's like looking at that painting we discussed in the Modern Art club... the one described by Smeggy as a dirty vinul tablecloth in a trucker's caf... :D

'an angel has no memory'

Loves The place!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Read Rick Wakemans Biography many years ago.
He's a prolific storyteller.
Couple have stuck in my mind.

One, is when Yes were touring 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', which he describes as "immensely Boring".
It was a double album, so the set was two hours long, non-stop hippy themed twaddle.
So a bit into the set he shouts a Roadie over;
"I'm fucking starving" he says "Get me a curry"
So an hour later, there's Rick, arpeggiating away with one hand, spooning down a curry with the other.
The smell wafts over the stage and everyone starts turning round to look at him in disbelief. :D

Another time, he's being chauffuered in the back of his Rolls Royce, when a song comes on the radio and in disbelief he says "that sounds like me"
The song was Cat Stevens, "Morning has Broken", which he played the intro for.
Thing is, he was so pissed when he did the session, he'd forgotten all about it.

Oh and he got banned from Ronnie Scotts Jazz club in London, because he used Paint Rollers to do key glissandos on the organ. :D

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

The first Soft Machine album was kind of psychedelic (Jet Propelled Photographs - was that the first one?), and the later ones were jazz rock. I don't know what they did in between - was it prog rock?

Rick Wakeman is a star. I loved him on Grumpy Old Men.
I liked his story about how the King Arthur show came to be performed on ice. He had his heart set on performing it at Wembley Empire but the agent said he couldn't do it because they'd flooded & frozen the stage for an ice skating event later that month - so after thinking about it for a while he said "OK, fuck it; we'll do it on ice then!"

Check out the skating horse!

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music