Best Prog Rock band ever?

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Some cool solo spin-off stuff by former Yes members other than Jon Anderson;

Bruford 5g;

Patrick Moraz & Bill Bruford. Childrens Concerto;

Jon & Vangelis;

Then of course, there was the one off album (Drama) that begat us The Buggles and Trevor Horns work, including Frankie Goes to Hollywood;

Downes and Howe of course, were instrumental (ha ha) in putting together Asia;

Heat of the moment

Rather like Cartmans version though. :rofl:

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

Don't forget it's Prog Rock night on BBC4 tonight!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Kicks off with 'The Nice'.

Nice. :D

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

If you were watching CBB instead of the 9pm section of the prog program, you missed nowt.
Looking better now though.

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Raffles wrote:If you were watching CBB instead of the 9pm section of the prog program, you missed nowt.

Isn't that the problem with Prog though, all well and good when reviewed through the smog of nostalgia. When you actually have to sit down and listen to an hours worth its bloody tedious. :sir:

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:
Raffles wrote:If you were watching CBB instead of the 9pm section of the prog program, you missed nowt.

Isn't that the problem with Prog though, all well and good when reviewed through the smog of nostalgia. When you actually have to sit down and listen to an hours worth its bloody tedious. :sir:

It's a bit like a fashion show.
It shows you what goes on in the minds of the creative, while you only wear clothes influenced by the possibilities explored by the creative.
The point was well made, showing Pete Sinfield of King Crimson/ELP being behind hits like "The land of make believe" and Trevor Horn, behind Frankie Goes to Hollywood and Seal.

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

It's not on iPlayer yet - I nearly clicked "100 years of Mills & Boon" by mistake!

This has been a ThinBoy quality post

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Bowker's cat wrote:

Some of it is, I know later Yes and Rick Wakeman material was tedious and pretentious, but it's like judging all punk rock on a dodgy Sham 69 concert. The best prog, as in other music genre, was in its formative days. Early King Crimson, early Nice/ ELP, Pink Floyd in the early 70s, Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, these are all classics

Really Loves the Place!

Posted on

Do not have a best, but in their time I loved Jethro Tull,Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells was just sublime and even now despite the circus they ended up with on stage that made them lose all credibility they still knock the socks off the produced mediocre bourgeois rubbish of today..Take That ,Kylie. Girls Aloud and the like .At the very least they were truly creative, inventive and experimental which is more than can be said for todays utter benign gibberish .One computerized beat and drivel lyrics everyo one of wihch is about boys/ girls/ getting "hot"..FGS. King Crimson were OK too.Never was a Yes or Genesis fan .

On two rolls!!

Posted on

I'm just starting to think Ten Years After as well.

Posted on

Ten years after are still going,albeit with a new guitarist as Alvin lee is no longer with them. 'The Bluest Blues' has to be one of the greatest tracks ever!!

Highway Star
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

John lee Pettimore wrote:Ten years after are still going,albeit with a new guitarist as Alvin lee is no longer with them. 'The Bluest Blues' has to be one of the greatest tracks ever!!

And 'Good Morning Little Schoolgirl' one of the most inappropriate ever! :D

Bit of a fan of the live version of 'Going Home' myself.

Posted on

I watched the Prog Britania programme yesterday - what a great documentary.
One interesting thing was Ian Anderson saying that Thick As A Brick was supposed to be a piss-take of the whole prog-rock scene, yet is now hailed by many as the greatest prog-rock album ever. No Gentle Giant though - a bit of an ommission - & no mention of Gong emerging from Soft Machine.

BTW I don't think TYA were prog were they?

Loves The place!

Posted on

Gutlesswonder wrote:Do not have a best, but in their time I loved Jethro Tull,Pink Floyd and Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells was just sublime and even now despite the circus they ended up with on stage that made them lose all credibility they still knock the socks off the produced mediocre bourgeois rubbish of today..Take That ,Kylie. Girls Aloud and the like .At the very least they were truly creative, inventive and experimental which is more than can be said for todays utter benign gibberish .One computerized beat and drivel lyrics everyo one of wihch is about boys/ girls/ getting "hot"..FGS. King Crimson were OK too.Never was a Yes or Genesis fan .

bear in mind that the 'rubbish' also existed back then. just look at the charts for the 1960s and 1970s. These decades had their dfare share of Kylies and Girls Alouds

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I watched the "Prog Rock Britannia" programme again on iplayer -was excellent, but there were a few notable omissions - Gentle Giant just get 1 mention by one of the interviewees, and nothing at all on Peter Hamill / Van Der Graaf Generator - I would have thought they would have been mentioned alongside King Crimson, since there are strong similarities, and Bob Fripp played with Van der Graaf a few times.

Loves The place!

Posted on

ThinBoy wrote:I watched the "Prog Rock Britannia" programme again on iplayer -was excellent, but there were a few notable omissions - Gentle Giant just get 1 mention by one of the interviewees, and nothing at all on Peter Hamill / Van Der Graaf Generator - I would have thought they would have been mentioned alongside King Crimson, since there are strong similarities, and Bob Fripp played with Van der Graaf a few times.

I never had exposure to Gentle Giant.
Never even heard of EGG either.

There seemed to be some confusion over what constituted a 'prog' band.
There were other terms bandied about, like 'art' rock and 'pomp' rock.

I tend to go with the 'concept album' and 'time signature exploration' as being two commonalities of prog.

Where do Tangerine Dream or Jean Michelle Jarre fit in?

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Raffles wrote:Read Rick Wakemans Biography many years ago.
He's a prolific storyteller.
Couple have stuck in my mind.

One, is when Yes were touring 'Tales from Topographic Oceans', which he describes as "immensely Boring".
It was a double album, so the set was two hours long, non-stop hippy themed twaddle.
So a bit into the set he shouts a Roadie over;
"I'm fucking starving" he says "Get me a curry"
So an hour later, there's Rick, arpeggiating away with one hand, spooning down a curry with the other.
The smell wafts over the stage and everyone starts turning round to look at him in disbelief. :D

Another time, he's being chauffuered in the back of his Rolls Royce, when a song comes on the radio and in disbelief he says "that sounds like me"
The song was Cat Stevens, "Morning has Broken", which he played the intro for.
Thing is, he was so pissed when he did the session, he'd forgotten all about it.

Oh and he got banned from Ronnie Scotts Jazz club in London, because he used Paint Rollers to do key glissandos on the organ. :D

god, that made me laugh!

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

The Reasoning,a great band from Cardiff that I've been listening to recently. This is from their first album 'The Awakening'. They now have a second album out called 'Dark Angel'. Well worth an investigate.

Rachel Cohen,One of the singers was voted best female prog singer 4 years in a row.

Highway Star
Current Mood: Rocking as usual!!!

Posted on

John lee Pettimore wrote:Olias of sunhillow is a great album,I mislaid mine in one of my many house moves,so I was chuffed to little mint balls to find a copy in a charity shop for £2 and in good condition aswell!!!

Its amazing what you can find in those places sometimes.

you lucky bugger!

i lent my cd copy to someone and never got it back :thumbdown:

I reject your reality and substitute my own!

Grumpy Old Cow
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: BANNED!

Posted on

Larks Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson must rate as one of the most eccentric pieces of music ever, it's just a total freeform jam with no lyrics and a couple of switches in styles. That's why it's great.

Really Loves the Place!

Previous

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music