Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Kim Beacon

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

The pun just occured to me as I wrote the name, but I was thinking about posting this thread as a Beacon.

See, there's very little online about Kim Beacon, other than he did some vocal work on a Tony Banks solo album.

There was a possibility that he was to be the next singer with Genesis when Peter Gabriel left, but that didn't happen.

I had the pleasure of doing sound for The Kim Beacon Band in the late 80's, at a 'one-off' gig and I have never since witnessed a greater vocal performance.
He dumped his guts on the stage, to an empty hall.

I had a much treasured cassette tape, which I lost when my car was broken into.
There was a song on it called 'Prospect Road'.

Kinda hoping, that by posting this, somebody who has a copy might google in on it.

I gather Kim died two or three years ago.

Pictures of me naked viewtopic.php?f=16&t=10495

Super Smegsterwegsta
Current Mood: Down, down, deeper and down.

Posted on

I can't find anything on youtube or google mate. I have to admit it's not a name I remember. RIP though. :(

Someone must know him. perhaps get in touch with Tony Banks.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I can't find anything on youtube or google mate. I have to admit it's not a name I remember. RIP though. :(

Someone must know him. perhaps get in touch with Tony Banks.

Wouldn't know where to start.

I never bought Tony Bank's solo stuff, but I'm pretty sure this is Kim singing and if the Hackles don't go up on the back of your neck, you're not human.

Feck, it definitely IS him;

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Thanks Dolls.
Not a lot to be found is there!

Super Smegsterwegsta

Posted on

Raffles wrote:Thanks Dolls.
Not a lot to be found is there!

Definatly not! :thumbdown:

Forum Slapper Lush
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Kim Beacon ( known originally as Kimberley Beacon) did indeed do an LP with Tony Banks he then joined String Driven Thing. I always understood he did some vocals on Jeff Lynn's War of the Worlds but there's no mention of him on the sleeve notes.
He was right up there with Paul Rodgers and Paul Carrick as one of the finest Blues/Rock singers. One of the best concerts I ever saw was the String Driven Thing at the Nelson Imperial sometime in the 70's. I believe you can still get some of their LP's on line.

nooby

Posted on

Sorry, missed this first time round

A discography
http://www.discogs.com/artist/Kim+Beaco ... All&q=&p=1

and his progression into classical music towards the end.

Somewhat better vocally than Tony Banks tbh.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

He's really good, reminds me of Carrack for sure and some CSNY stuff as well, and that's no bad thing. I'd agree with Paul, try and get in touch with Tony Banks' label (Charisma?) or the man himself.
Best of luck :splif:

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

I was really sad to hear about Kim's death...I think it was 2001?

I played in bands in Glasgow in the late 80's / early 90's and was fortunate enough to be in the support band at a gig with Kim Beacon's band. He had his head shaved at the time and looked quite intimidating! His keyboard player at the time was involved in a studio we used to use, so got us the support gig.....our band was called "Catch". I remember we opened and thought it went pretty well.......when Kim came on with his band, he blew us away. His voice was sensational and his band were all great musicians.....they made us look like the amateurs we were! Kim was very gracious though...and complimentary.

I actually had a tape recording of some of the material he had recorded with his band, but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere. A particularly great track was called "naked" and it was amazing. If it had been anyone else, he would have had a hit with it.

I think Kim had a bad rep due to his history with drugs etc.....but he was still an incredible musician.

I wonder what happened to his later recordings?

sbb

nooby

Posted on

Welcome to Smeggy's Stuart!! :cheers:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

I was interested to read the stuff on Kim Beacon. I met him at Palladium Studios in Edinburgh 1990ish, where I was engineering and playing guitar on a song called 'Blown away'. This was written and produced by Chris 'Rainbow'Harley, who as you may know had connections with Tony Banks of Genesis fame and I believe they worked on on Tony's solo album.
I thought this dude can SING, absolutely brilliant voice and although there was some 'Tennents super ' involved , he just got better and better as the session went on. I was working at that time with Nick Straker and we got him to sing on 3 tracks which he did a really good job . He said he was living in Glasgow and working sometimes with 'String Driven Thing' but had his own band doing gigs but needed a guitarist. So I ended up playing in his band , some blues/soul covers and some original stuff . It was really good fun at the time and the musicians were great players which made the gigs good as well BUT, there was a flaky side to Kim which required a really good sense of tolerance not to mention humour which eventually wears a bit thin after a while and pissed off some of the band and led to its demise.
Having said all that , what a voice , there has been some great British vocalists over the last 30 years that can sing with real feeling such as Paul Rodgers, Nicky Moore, Paul Carrack etc, but I still feel Kim Beacon was 'up there'.
I dont know but maybe I bumped into Stuart27 sometime in Glasgow in these days but anyway , anybody who heard him sing would have been impressed with his 'soul' . R.I.P. :cheers:

nooby

Posted on

After viewing some things on the 35th Anniversary of Tony Banks' "A Curious Feeling", I started to do some digging on where Kim Beacon is now. I quickly learned he had died in 2001, but there is almost nothing about the man's life outside of the recordings he was on.

I stumbled upon this forum and thought I would share at least one more piece about Kim Beacon. Here's a Tony Banks Promotional Video of "For a While". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s18eKfdK9eM

If anyone knows more about the man, his life, his loves, his untimely death, could you please post it. It seems rather tragic that so little is known of the man.

Cheers.

nooby

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music