Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Madonna - Really the Queen Of Pop?

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Madonna!!

Although I think she's fronted some great records, I put the talent down to the writers and producers in Madonna's case.

She can't sing and IMO her only talent lies, or lied, in portraying a bit of controversy in a period where society was more sexually suppressed than it is today.

What do you folks think?

Is Madonna the Queen of Pop or not worth the paper she is written on?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Given that I recently made a post covering my opinion on this topic and I believe in recycling here it is:

Bookends wrote:Madonna may be a crap singer but she's a bloody good entertainer... and I don't think her success is really down to others... it's all about her, the decisions she makes, her great ambition and her own pretty awesome stage presence. If there really is such a thing as "x-factor" then she's got it. She can certainly get it wrong but when she gets it right she really delivers. (Mind you... thankfully she finally seems to have got the message that acting really isn't her bag. :doh: )

:D

Really Hooked!

Posted on

I don't think adopting a Malawi boy for publicity did her much good either. She couldn't even hide the fact, what with her silly entourage and choreographed 'dancing with the natives' ...

and allowing a PA to pick the boy up from Heathrow....

...after it was shipped over from Malawi by Fed-Ex. Even worse that she circumvented Malawi law to gain special privileges. She had a book coming out shortly afterwards and the publicity stunt was obvious.

Smeggy thankfully was born the 'day BEFORE yesterday!' :wave:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I really went off Madge big time when she went through that whole 'sex' phase. Why was all that necessary? I agree with what's already said in that she isn't the best singer, but she can dance and she can entertain, and she can look sexy..all without getting her minge out for all and sundry....

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:I don't think adopting a Malawi boy for publicity did her much good either. She couldn't even hide the fact, what with her silly entourage and choreographed 'dancing with the natives' ...

and allowing a PA to pick the boy up from Heathrow....

...after it was shipped over from Malawi by Fed-Ex. Even worse that she circumvented Malawi law to gain special privileges. She had a book coming out shortly afterwards and the publicity stunt was obvious.

Smeggy thankfully was born the 'day BEFORE yesterday!' :wave:

That particular story is an entirely different kettle of fish of course... or can of worms however you want to look at it ( :D )... However, her "title" predates that particular story by a fair bit and so does the peak of her career which I would personally put around the release of her "Ray of Light" album.

My point is not that she is a "nice" person or above using the media for her ends... to the contrary actually... it is simply that she is a good entertainer and, furthermore, it is her drive, her ambition and her decisions that have been the root of her success. Not happy coincidence. She is her own main "Marketing Manager".

Really Hooked!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Smeggy thankfully was born the 'day BEFORE yesterday!' :wave:

...and what exactly are you trying to imply anyway Smeggy? Image

:pp: :D

Really Hooked!

Posted on

Didn't she co write a lot of her songs though? I love the album Like A Prayer, and I think she contributed the lyrics in many cases....she must have some creative talent.

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:Didn't she co write a lot of her songs though? I love the album Like A Prayer, and I think she contributed the lyrics in many cases....she must have some creative talent.

It's difficult to quantify, because in the music biz unknown but good songwriters will often have to give up a percentage of writers credits to the Artist in return for having a certain amount of songs on the album.

The artiste's creative contribution might only be slight. And of course it gives the artiste more credibility to have song writing credits. Credibility is big value in the music world and is used to play down the largely manufactured industry.

I don't think Madonna completely lacks talent, she kind of reminds me of Kylie. Not a great singer, has some kind of likeable Charisma and whose product is largely the work of others.

I prefer artistes that when you strip away all the support they lose nothing.

Anyway....

..... she wouldn't even get past a first X-factor audition would she?

Oh and those trousers and whtie socks :eek4: are definitely of their time!!! :rofl: :rofl:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:It's difficult to quantify, because in the music biz unknown but good songwriters will often have to give up a percentage of writers credits to the Artist in return for having a certain amount of songs on the album.

The artiste's creative contribution might only be slight. And of course it gives the artiste more credibility to have song writing credits. Credibility is big value in the music world and is used to play down the largely manufactured industry.

I don't think Madonna completely lacks talent, she kind of reminds me of Kylie. Not a great singer, has some kind of likeable Charisma and whose product is largely the work of others.

I prefer artistes that when you strip away all the support they lose nothing.

I do agree she's a Jack ( or Jane ) of all trades and master of none. I like the fact that she progressed from her early light pop style to make an album such as Like A Prayer. The video for the title song got right up the church's nose in America. Then she seemed to carry on trying to 'shock' and her music went downhill gradually after that, to my mind.

She's done her fair share of good records IMO, certainly with more quality than lightweights like Kylie, Pussycat Dolls etc.

Posted on

Yup, I'll never contend the quality of her records. Even the cheesy 'Holiday' was a big favourite of mine. _ great chord progression too :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I don't like Madonna. I never have. I just cannot stand her music, and I do not like her videos. :thumbdown:

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

She's a great entertainer but she's comes up short in the talent department, queen of disposable catchy pop maybe.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

I never really liked her although her "Erotica" and "Bedtime Story" albums are excellent. I want to like her more than I actually do. She's obviously extremely intelligent and an excellent performer, but her voice unfortunately is very thin. She deserves a better voice than she actually has.

On a roll!
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

I have nothing but good to say about Her Madgesty.

IMO She has an amazing voice and looks stunning. Her music never fails to cheer me up after I've had a bad day, and for that I worship the ground She walks on.

I still can't believe, what with all the hard work She's done trying to change the world for the better, that some people have called for Her to be excommunicated! :cunt: If there is a god, and if he is benevolent, then I'm sure he loves Madonna and appreciates the fact that She's helping the children of Malawi.

Hope you all have a Madgetastic day!

"You look like a pregnant version of Godzilla." "...Godzilla was pregnant."

nooby

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music