Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

[!] New Forum Features!!

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Hi folks.

A note regarding the Politics Forum. As it's called 'Politics and Current affairs' then strictly speaking any 'news' has a place in there in there. but as politics is a major subject I kinda think that threads about 'bodies found at Beachy Head' and 'Hotel death father' should really be in General Discussion as Politics is a really a major subject in it's own right and perhaps shouldn't be diluted by these otehr news topics.

With that in mind I'm thinking of renaming the Politics and Current Affairs forum to just 'Politics'

What do you peeps think?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I hardly ever post there - so doesn't bother me. :oops:

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

User avatar
Grand Master
Posts: 7194
Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:26 pm
Location: I don't know - I've lost the map!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:Hi folks.

A note regarding the Politics Forum. As it's called 'Politics and Current affairs' then strictly speaking any 'news' has a place in there in there. but as politics is a major subject I kinda think that threads about 'bodies found at Beachy Head' and 'Hotel death father' should really be in General Discussion as Politics is a really a major subject in it's own right and perhaps shouldn't be diluted by these otehr news topics.

With that in mind I'm thinking of renaming the Politics and Current Affairs forum to just 'Politics'

What do you peeps think?


Could we have a politics forum and a separate current affairs forum for current news stories, worried they might get lost in GD.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Hi folks.

A note regarding the Politics Forum. As it's called 'Politics and Current affairs' then strictly speaking any 'news' has a place in there in there. but as politics is a major subject I kinda think that threads about 'bodies found at Beachy Head' and 'Hotel death father' should really be in General Discussion as Politics is a really a major subject in it's own right and perhaps shouldn't be diluted by these otehr news topics.

With that in mind I'm thinking of renaming the Politics and Current Affairs forum to just 'Politics'

What do you peeps think?


Could we have a politics forum and a separate current affairs forum for current news stories, worried they might get lost in GD.


But most GD topics are non politics news and current issues anyway. Flu pandemics, binge tanning, woman runs off with 2.4 million. I've just noticed a few in GD that should be in yakkiti though.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Hi folks.

A note regarding the Politics Forum. As it's called 'Politics and Current affairs' then strictly speaking any 'news' has a place in there in there. but as politics is a major subject I kinda think that threads about 'bodies found at Beachy Head' and 'Hotel death father' should really be in General Discussion as Politics is a really a major subject in it's own right and perhaps shouldn't be diluted by these otehr news topics.

With that in mind I'm thinking of renaming the Politics and Current Affairs forum to just 'Politics'

What do you peeps think?


Could we have a politics forum and a separate current affairs forum for current news stories, worried they might get lost in GD.


But most GD topics are non politics news and current issues anyway. Flu pandemics, binge tanning, woman runs off with 2.4 million. I've just noticed a few in GD that should be in yakkiti though.


Whatever you think is best mate :thumb:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

RIGHT SIDEBAR NEW and Updated TOPICS LIST

"Oyez, Oyez, Oyez!"

Image
Man with large bellend



For those who haven't noticed yet I've split the New and Updated topics list and placed the Politics topics in a separate list at the bottom.

Many people just visit the forum for fun stuff and others just visit for serious debate, some visit for both. So just like you wouldn't have Little Britain sketches in between serious topics on the Six O'clock news I thought it better to split the politics threads from the rest. This should make life easier for those who don't come for politics and for those who do. for those who love both like myself, it's only a bit of extra scrolling.

I'm also thinking of adjusting the order of the subforums in the main index page. Any feedback on that would be appreciated and welcomed :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Feedback on new index page new posts lists please :)

Martyn and I are finding that we now forget to check up on the Politics sub-forum regularly because of the seperate listing of them in the right sidebar on the index page.

We do like it that the main list doesnt' have the seriosu topics thrust in ya face now, btu at the same time we are concerned that the politisc threads might now be getting the attention if everyone replies upon the index rightside list and forgets that they are there. It's amazing how much the layout of the forum can affect usage. it's obviously something that's important to get just right.

How are the rest of you finding the new system? And feedback or ideas are most welcome!!

Fanx! The management! :thumb:

http://bluebirdsaresonatural.files.word ... uncers.jpg

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I like the new look smeggy a good :thumb: on it.



User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35317
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:Feedback on new index page new posts lists please :)

Martyn and I are finding that we now forget to check up on the Politics sub-forum regularly because of the seperate listing of them in the right sidebar on the index page.

We do like it that the main list doesnt' have the seriosu topics thrust in ya face now, btu at the same time we are concerned that the politisc threads might now be getting the attention if everyone replies upon the index rightside list and forgets that they are there. It's amazing how much the layout of the forum can affect usage. it's obviously something that's important to get just right.

How are the rest of you finding the new system? And feedback or ideas are most welcome!!

Fanx! The management! :thumb:

http://bluebirdsaresonatural.files.word ... uncers.jpg


Truth ???? I dont like it ! *pout* :pp: but will put up with it if you agree to seperate all the bleedin radio 2 threads as well
:pp: :pp:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I much prefer it as it is now, without the politics stuff being listed. I know what Annie means about the Radio 2 stuff but that is normally only a problem when Iain Smith is on here.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I just keep forgetting the politics section, yesterday I had been on for hours before I remembered and I had missed loads of discussions. The last thing we want is for that section to go totally quiet.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:I just keep forgetting the politics section, yesterday I had been on for hours before I remembered and I had missed loads of discussions. The last thing we want is for that section to go totally quiet.


Everybody knows Martyn now where the Politics forum is and is being used. I think the new diesign is great.!
I



User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35317
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:I just keep forgetting the politics section, yesterday I had been on for hours before I remembered and I had missed loads of discussions. The last thing we want is for that section to go totally quiet.


I think if things had continued the way they were going the whole forum would have gone quiet. Give it time. It will be fine. I now actually go in the politics forum when I want because it is not being thrust in my face which I found very off putting.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Jessica Rabbit wrote:
martyn20 wrote:I just keep forgetting the politics section, yesterday I had been on for hours before I remembered and I had missed loads of discussions. The last thing we want is for that section to go totally quiet.


I think if things had continued the way they were going the whole forum would have gone quiet. Give it time. It will be fine. I now actually go in the politics forum when I want because it is not being thrust in my face which I found very off putting.





Agree Jess

To tell the truth when I looked at the forum (old way) I'd just go straight out! Now its now in my face! I can look at the P threads and If I think I can join in I will.



User avatar
Forum Slapper Lush
Posts: 35317
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 9:53 pm
Location: East London with Just Dave now.
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Eff it.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:I just keep forgetting the politics section, yesterday I had been on for hours before I remembered and I had missed loads of discussions. The last thing we want is for that section to go totally quiet.


I have to admit If came in today and looked around like I did back in January on an invite, I might not have hung around ...
Everyone (from an outsiders point of view ...not mine ) ,seems to be very close and it might of put me off ...plus I probably would not have noticed the politics threads ....and that's why I was invited here in the first place by Smeggy ...
I understand both sides of the choice ...still not really sure if it is the right decision :chin:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Feedback on new index page new posts lists please :)

Martyn and I are finding that we now forget to check up on the Politics sub-forum regularly because of the seperate listing of them in the right sidebar on the index page.

We do like it that the main list doesnt' have the seriosu topics thrust in ya face now, btu at the same time we are concerned that the politisc threads might now be getting the attention if everyone replies upon the index rightside list and forgets that they are there. It's amazing how much the layout of the forum can affect usage. it's obviously something that's important to get just right.

How are the rest of you finding the new system? And feedback or ideas are most welcome!!

Fanx! The management! :thumb:

http://bluebirdsaresonatural.files.word ... uncers.jpg


Truth ???? I dont like it ! *pout* :pp: but will put up with it if you agree to seperate all the bleedin radio 2 threads as well
:pp: :pp:


The way the threads in the list are displayed is in date order of last post in the thread across all subforums ( politics excepted now ), which means if any subforum currently has a lot of activity it's obviously going to show up more in the list. I could of course split out the radio threads, but then someone else would probably start to notice a lot of eating and drinking threads or whatever is the next most active subforum. Ad infinitum. Well not 'infinitum' but you know what I mean :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Feedback on new index page new posts lists please :)

Martyn and I are finding that we now forget to check up on the Politics sub-forum regularly because of the seperate listing of them in the right sidebar on the index page.

We do like it that the main list doesnt' have the seriosu topics thrust in ya face now, btu at the same time we are concerned that the politisc threads might now be getting the attention if everyone replies upon the index rightside list and forgets that they are there. It's amazing how much the layout of the forum can affect usage. it's obviously something that's important to get just right.

How are the rest of you finding the new system? And feedback or ideas are most welcome!!

Fanx! The management! :thumb:

http://bluebirdsaresonatural.files.word ... uncers.jpg


Truth ???? I dont like it ! *pout* :pp: but will put up with it if you agree to seperate all the bleedin radio 2 threads as well
:pp: :pp:


The way the threads in the list are displayed is in date order of last post in the thread across all subforums ( politics excepted now ), which means if any subforum currently has a lot of activity it's obviously going to show up more in the list. I could of course split out the radio threads, but then someone else would probably start to notice a lot of eating and drinking threads or whatever is the next most active subforum. Ad infinitum. Well not 'infinitum' but you know what I mean :)



I do ...I was just being snotty coz he was picking on Scousers !!! :rofl: :rofl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Dolls wrote:
Jessica Rabbit wrote:
martyn20 wrote:I just keep forgetting the politics section, yesterday I had been on for hours before I remembered and I had missed loads of discussions. The last thing we want is for that section to go totally quiet.


I think if things had continued the way they were going the whole forum would have gone quiet. Give it time. It will be fine. I now actually go in the politics forum when I want because it is not being thrust in my face which I found very off putting.





Agree Jess

To tell the truth when I looked at the forum (old way) I'd just go straight out! Now its now in my face! I can look at the P threads and If I think I can join in I will.


As someone who likes the politics threads and was never put off by them previously, I do actually prefer them in their own list. My problem isthe same as Martyn's .... It's the location of the list, which is lower than our screens and I forget to scroll down. one answer would be shorten the list of the other topics so at least the heading of the politics list was always visible. just a thought

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Advice is now called Advice and Support

So if you don't particularly want specific advice and just need to talk to get it off your chest this is the sub-forum to head to!!

:thumb: :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118679
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

great idea smeggy .... thanks :thumb:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

PreviousNext

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Music

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests