Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Sir Cliff says Beatles were often out of tune

Altogether now.... in the key of Bb!!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Sir Cliff says Beatles were often out of tune

I don't hear it, but I'm not a musician. Does anyone else? It it seen as sacrilege to criticise the Beatles? I love them and don't love Sir Cliff, apart from the odd song. He also criticises Elvis for being too cabaret at the end of his life (and refused to have his photo taken with him because Elvis was too fat). Fair comment but Bachelor Boy anyone?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1773

Mr Nice: Sir Cliff has broken character to launch an attack on The Beatles
Sir Cliff Richard has launched an astonishing attack on The Beatles, claiming some of their music was "horrific" because it was "out of tune".
Sir Cliff, who has a reputation as pop's Mr Nice, maintained some was so off-tune it was "unbelievable" – and "unforgivable".

Later, in the interview with Q Magazine, he was quick to point out he had achieved things that The Beatles had not.

(I read the original article in Q and this is a fair representation of what he said. The Q website doesn't seem to be working at the moment
http://www.q4music.com/ )

Loves The place!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

This coming from Cliff Richard! I think he is just bitter that the Beatles actually made music that is still loved and worshipped today, unlike Cliff's junk. Don't know about wired for sound, i would like to see Cliff wired into the mains! :)

I read the interview and Cliff seem to think he is the messiah of music, The article really gives the impression that he believes nothing i up to his high Christian music loving standard.

Posted on

Well as no one stood up and walked out on the Beatles I suspect they did not sing out of tune.

Cliff Richard is a plonker at times.

jesaya - made member of your local friendly Liberal Gay Mafia

Getting into it now!

Posted on

Frank Sinatra was often out of tune (he sang flat a lot of the time!) but he was still fabulous.

Perfect pitch can be too perfect and clinical - a bit of human error is what gives character and individuality. :)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:Frank Sinatra was often out of tune (he sang flat a lot of the time!) but he was still fabulous.

Perfect pitch can be too perfect and clinical - a bit of human error is what gives character and individuality. :)

Ah, I once said to my friend who is a Frank fan (after a few drinks so I wasn't being vigilant about what I saying) that I thought he sounded flat and nasally later on in his career. The look she gave me shrank me by six inches and I wasn't that tall to start with!

As for Cliff, I got the impression from the article that he thought he should be mentioned in the same breath as the Beatles and Elvis and he did sound a little bitter. Unfortunately, he doesn't have their credibility.

Loves The place!

Posted on

staroffurby wrote:This coming from Cliff Richard! I think he is just bitter that the Beatles actually made music that is still loved and worshipped today, unlike Cliff's junk. Don't know about wired for sound, i would like to see Cliff wired into the mains! :)
I read the interview and Cliff seem to think he is the messiah of music, The article really gives the impression that he believes nothing i up to his high Christian music loving standard.

:eek: :howl:

Loves The place!

Posted on

It seems a strange point from Cliff. George Harrison was an excellent guitarist, and sometimes Paul McCartney stood in for him, who was also superbly skilled on it.

Thinking of the Beatles' guitar work I can only think of one instance where it's out of tune, that's on Run For Your Life, an album track on Rubber Soul.

Cliff needs to point out what songs he means, otherwise he'll be accused of sour grapes.

Posted on

I don't think being out of tune is all that big a deal in popular music, especially by an established superstar act. It's like, who cares.

Unlike classical music where it is a different matter, being out of tune is a cardinal crime. (although there are variations over what should be the 'correct' standard tuning pitch - usually A=442). However, wrong notes don't necessarily matter.

Super Smegster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:I don't think being out of tune is all that big a deal in popular music, especially by an established superstar act. It's like, who cares.

Unlike classical music where it is a different matter, being out of tune is a cardinal crime. (although there are variations over what should be the 'correct' standard tuning pitch - usually A=442). However, wrong notes don't necessarily matter.

Maybe CR's fed up with his public image - he does get a lot of stick, and The Beatles get a lot of praise.

Despite his longevity, the Mersey sound led by the fabs largely eclipsed his syrupy early 60s output quite easily. He's still scored a lot of hits over 40 + years, so it seems a bit petty to knock a band that only lasted for 7.

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:Frank Sinatra was often out of tune (he sang flat a lot of the time!) but he was still fabulous.

What whirlie said!!

Cliff Richard has never been a favorite of mine. I always thought him to be a smug character to be honest.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Yes, I agree with that. It's a bit like a painting where the artist has made slight but deliberate errors of perspective or scale - it makes it much more interesting.

As for the article, CR sounds more than a little bitter. You almost get the feeling he has kept this in for years and accidently let it out! You really can't compare his talent and charisma to The Beatles or Elvis ...and he knows it!

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:Maybe CR's fed up with his public image - he does get a lot of stick, and The Beatles get a lot of praise.

Despite his longevity, the Mersey sound led by the fabs largely eclipsed his syrupy early 60s output quite easily. He's still scored a lot of hits over 40 + years, so it seems a bit petty to knock a band that only lasted for 7.

Yeah. He does sounds a tad jealous. CR started as a poor man's Elvis. The Beatles are immortal in a way that he isn't. (btw how come Ringo hasn't got a knighthood?)

I always think of CR in that 'It will be Alright on the Night' clip where he's singing "Mistletoe & Wine" and getting engulfed by the smoke machine :D

Super Smegster

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:(btw how come Ringo hasn't got a knighthood?)

Maybe the establishment regard him as a bloke who just got lucky Oracle. He only wrote 2 Beatle songs on his own, but he was still part of the band. Maybe he should get one now, although I can't stand the whole royal awards thing TBH.

Posted on

mr. mustard wrote:Maybe the establishment regard him as a bloke who just got lucky Oracle. He only wrote 2 Beatle songs on his own, but he was still part of the band. Maybe he should get one now, although I can't stand the whole royal awards thing TBH.

Octopus's Garden is actually one of my favourite Beatles songs :o :D

um.. What was the other one?

Super Smegster

Posted on

Exactly. Now they're all but canonised, a lot of people seem to forget that the Beatles were a fucking rock and roll band... they were off their faces a lot of the time and didn't even know who they were! And guess what? It sounded fucking marvellous.

Next up- James Joyce in "didn't even use real words half the time" shock.

"Pirates and bank-robbers, not lawyers or CEOs. Stockbrokers ain't your heroes"- The World/Inferno Friendship Society

Really Hooked!
Location: Behind the mask, with the idea. Because ideas are bulletproof.
Current Mood: Lovesick, broke and driftin'

Posted on

Out of Tune? - Madonna!!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

This story is an obvious PR machine fabrication anyway. Cliff will go along with it. Has he got a product coming out. Perhaps he should have hand picked a Malawan Orphan. That's what Madonna did when she had a forthcoming product coming out and wanted some pre-publicity

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

whimsical oracle wrote:Octopus's Garden is actually one of my favourite Beatles songs :o :D

um.. What was the other one?

I love Octopus's Garden :thumb: He also wrote Don't Pass Me By on the white album.

He got a credit alongside Lennon & McCartney for What Goes On ( Rubber Soul )

Plus a credit with Lennon, McCartney & Harrison for the instrumental Flying ( Magical Mystery Tour )

So he's actually got his name on four Beatle songs as a writer.

It should be Sir Ringo! :elephant:

Posted on

Ah thanks Musty... you are a mine of Beatles info :thumb: cheers :):

Super Smegster

Posted on

Anyway, back to Out-of-tuneness... remember Jemini "nul points"? :o :D

Super Smegster

Next