Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Should we go back to the Moon?

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Should we go back to the Moon?

Buzz Aldrin thinks not. He was on the news earlier saying we'e already been there and shouldn't waste time and money going back. Maybe he didn't want his special status diluted? I dunno.

So should we go back to the moonm, or skip the moon and go straight to Mars?

I'm not going to Uranus!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

NO ....America is broke to the core ..the people are being taxed to the hilt over Cap n Tax (carbon emissions) and so it would be disingenuous to continue such a money eating and emission producing project IMHO
they need to take care of the people not stroke their egos .....
I think this planet has a lot more to offer than a dusty red planet millions of miles away ....put it on hold until things straighten out in the economy and education and healthcare are sorted out ...

Posted on

Buzz Aldrin is unfortunately away with the fairies, he never got over being second. Going to the moon is very important for a couple of reasons. We have not even scratched the surface of the moon so far and just under the surface there are the answers to how the earth was formed. We don't know a lot about what is inside our own planet and we can't get down deep enough to find the answers we need, those answers are just under the lunar surface, we have to go there and do the tests necessary to expand out knowledge.
Going to Mars is a very different to going to the Moon, it takes a few days to get to the moon but months to get to Mars, depending on the craft used it could take over 250 days to get there, to survive the trip there and stay and the trip back we have to learn new techniques of travel and how to live on another planet, those new techniques have to be learnt on the Moon, the moon missions will be needed before we are anywhere near ready to go to Mars.

Posted on

annie27 wrote:NO ....America is broke to the core ..the people are being taxed to the hilt over Cap n Tax (carbon emissions) and so it would be disingenuous to continue such a money eating and emission producing project IMHO
I think this planet has a lot more to offer than a dusty red planet millions of miles away ....put it on hold until things straighten out in the economy and education and healthcare are sorted out ...

The problem is those issues will never be fully sorted out in every ones eyes and if they ever were another bunch of problems would surely follow them.
Maybe the people of Europe in the late 1400's should have sorted out themselves before they allowed Columbus to go and discover America?? :chin:

Posted on

So sad that Neil Armstrong ended up being a recluse and Buzz Aldrin ended up being an alcoholic :(

Like I always say "Be careful what you wish for " ..................

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:NO ....America is broke to the core ..the people are being taxed to the hilt over Cap n Tax (carbon emissions) and so it would be disingenuous to continue such a money eating and emission producing project IMHO

The problem is those issues will never be fully sorted out in every ones eyes and if they ever were another bunch of problems would surely follow them.
Maybe the people of Europe in the late 1400's should have sorted out themselves before they allowed Columbus to go and discover America?? :chin:

but on reflection was that a good thing ???? a whole race of indigenous people wiped out ,slavery wars, death ,corruption ....
all of the above outweigh any real good .......shit that git who brought tobacco has a lot to answer for *cough cough*

Posted on

There is no such thing as 'broke' when you have a Fiat Currency. You just 'print' more of the stuff. In fact that is exactly what has happened across the world in response to the Credit Crunch.

The trick is to prevent too much inflation by backing the newly created money with toil. That can either be an expanding economy or a future debt on toil ( taxes )

Actually money is created out of thin air by banks on a day to day basis through Deposit Multiplication ( Fractional Reserve Banking ).

In fact public projects like Space exploration, Railroad/Road building, etc,etc are a good way of boosting the economy. This method was employed in the 1930s to combat the Depression ( not the Space exploration mind. :) )

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Neil Armstrong was always a very private man and never asked for all the attention, he did the stuff he had to and then wanted a quiet life. Mike Collins is actually even more private than Armstrong, they were chosen because they were the best not because they were the the most media savvy.
Buzz actually thought he was a superman and tried to live his life the same way, it was always going to end in tears. He felt he should have been the first to walk on the lunar surface because he was a religious man and it would give it more meaning than if Armstrong, a non-believer, took the first steps. He never got over being second.

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:

but on reflection was that a good thing ???? a whole race of indigenous people wiped out ,slavery wars, death ,corruption ....
all of the above outweigh any real good .......shit that git who brought tobacco has a lot to answer for *cough cough*

Something would be very wrong with mankind if we had left large areas of the planet unexplored

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

There is no such thing as 'broke' when you have a Fiat Currency. You just 'print' more of the stuff. In fact that is exactly what has happened across the world in response to the Credit Crunch.

The trick is to prevent too much inflation by backing the newly created money with toil. That can either be an expanding economy or a future debt on toil ( taxes )

Actually money is created out of thin air by banks on a day to day basis through Deposit Multiplication ( Fractional Reserve Banking ).

In fact public projects like Space exploration, Railroad/Road building, etc,etc are a good way of boosting the economy. This method was employed in the 1930s to combat the Depression ( not the Space exploration mind. :) )

I mean the people ....I am not sure if what is going on in America is being fully understood over here ....its getting bad ...and as for the depression what could have been over in 2 or 3 years was dragged out a lot longer by the actions taken ...
but there is no comparison to then as to now ....the fed is now running the government .....thank god the American people are waking up to this fact .....but the Audit the fed Bill is still being held back ....infact to day Bernanke threatened higher interest rates of the people if they were audited ....yup a threat ....bold as brass ,if HR 1207 goes through .

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:

Something would be very wrong with mankind if we had left large areas of the planet unexplored

I understand Why we do it ......just not sure if we Should do it ......I often think what the world would of been like if we had stayed put a bit longer ????

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

I mean the people ....I am not sure if what is going on in America is being fully understood over here ....its getting bad ...and as for the depression what could have been over in 2 or 3 years was dragged out a lot longer by the actions taken ...
but there is no comparison to then as to now ....the fed is now running the government .....thank god the American people are waking up to this fact .....but the Audit the fed Bill is still being held back ....infact to day Bernanke threatened higher interest rates of the people if they were audited ....yup a threat ....bold as brass ,if HR 1207 goes through .

I see a financial situation that is a darn sight better than it was under Bush, tough decisions have been made and there are signs of improvement. What had to be done was difficult but the slide was stopped and there is now some hope.

Posted on

Back on the subject of going back to the moon I think, after some thought, that we should. There's far more to life than the Profit First:People last scenario of Capitalism.

We're human beings and exploration of new lands/zones is just as important as the Arts and sciences.

Who cares if Space exporation doesn't turn in a profit. The profit to mankind in other ways is far greater.

Compare the yearly budget on NASA to the yearly budget on Killing people, and the NASA budget could easily be doubled and even trebled, or even more if the US stopped killing people.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

I see a financial situation that is a darn sight better than it was under Bush, tough decisions have been made and there are signs of improvement. What had to be done was difficult but the slide was stopped and there is now some hope.

Bush was a stupid bastard ...we both agree on that I think .....but he was selected to be a stupid bastard ,that was his role ...
but hand on heart ....Obama offers NO hope NO change ...he is allowing things to happen in America that is crippling the low wage voters and the middle class .....the only winners now in America are the bankers and large corporations and the military industrial complex ....and he was selected for that role ....he is slick and smooth ....and just another puppet ....but far more dangerous than Bush as he has the people on his side ......for now ....but his pole ratings are dropping fast as they are getting it . I have many friends in Arizona and what is going on there and in Nevada whould make your hair curl ....
California is broke ....I mean BROKE ....can you imagine instead of your dole or sick pay getting an IOU ...to be paid later ???
and the reason its true is the BBC are not talking about it at all ....not a mention .

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Back on the subject of going back to the moon I think, after some thought, that we should. There's far more to life than the Profit First:People last scenario of Capitalism.

We're human beings and exploration of new lands/zones is just as important as the Arts and sciences.

Who cares if Space exporation doesn't turn in a profit. The profit to mankind in other ways is far greater.

Compare the yearly budget on NASA to the yearly budget on Killing people, and the NASA budget could easily be doubled and even trebled, or even more if the US stopped killing people.

sorry Smeggy ..I am off on one *slaps own hand * :oops:

I would rather see the money spent on honest green science (not this global warming shite ) but ways to run society without ruining our beautiful planet .......we have more than enough here to fulfill our needs ...if we had good honest people doing the math ...and then maybe the moon ! :thumb:

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Back on the subject of going back to the moon I think, after some thought, that we should. There's far more to life than the Profit First:People last scenario of Capitalism.

Who cares if Space exploration doesn't turn in a profit. The profit to mankind in other ways is far greater.

I would rather see the money spent on honest green science (not this global warming shite ) but ways to run society without ruining our beautiful planet .......we have more than enough here to fulfill our needs ...if we had good honest people doing the math ...and then maybe the moon ! :thumb:

No it's fine, how much the Space Exploration costs is an important factor.

Anyway the single most significant factor that's raping the Earth of it's resources and thus ruining the planet is the way the monetary system works and the infinitely expanding economy required for it to function.

We have enough technology these days to enable everyone to survive and eat well without having to work 40 hours a week. Yet we have a huge imbalance in wealth and a system which requires people to keep on buying products they don't need in order to keep everyone in a job and to have food and shelter.

This is because of the situation of the scarcity, the shortfall, of money by adding interest on all the money created. if you create £1,000 and expect £1,100 to be paid back where's the extra £100 gonna come from? What most people don't realise is that all the other money in society is already pledged on other debts. IOW the extra £100 doesn't exist. This means that humans have to dig up more resources to create more wealth so they can borrow that extra £!00 ( With even more interest ) and sell those resources in order to pay that loan back. Ad infinitum.

This is why the modern world is still under enslavement.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:

Who cares if Space exploration doesn't turn in a profit. The profit to mankind in other ways is far greater.

No it's fine, how much the Space Exploration costs is an important factor.

Anyway the single most significant factor that's raping the Earth of it's resources and thus ruining the planet is the way the monetary system works and the infinitely expanding economy required for it to function.

We have enough technology these days to enable everyone to survive and eat well without having to work 40 hours a week. Yet we have a huge imbalance in wealth and a system which requires people to keep on buying products they don't need in order to keep everyone in a job and to have food and shelter.

This is because of the situation of the scarcity, the shortfall, of money by adding interest on all the money created. if you create £1,000 and expect £1,100 to be paid back where's the extra £100 gonna come from? What most people don't realise is that all the other money in society is already pledged on other debts. IOW the extra £100 doesn't exist. This means that humans have to dig up more resources to create more wealth so they can borrow that extra £!00 ( With even more interest ) and sell those resources in order to pay that loan back. Ad infinitum.

This is why the modern world is still under enslavement.

Funny I was just watching Freedom Watch ...with the Judge ....its a FOX show :eek:
but only on the Internet ....they were talking about this ...guests were Ron Paul .Peter Schiff ,Lew Rockwell ....if these guys ran the show we would be in a much better place ....I think the intertwined policies of the UK and USA are moving together at a fast and furious speed ....our production is being wiped out ....and our fuel bills are getting bigger .....and the answer in times of monetary breakdown has always been WAR ....

Posted on

The core point is we need to change the system to create money without added Interest. Even the mythological Jesus recognised the evils of Usury. Btw - I'm not advocating stopping people from kaing money on investments, just the removal of adding interest to the creation of money.

but my point is that the evils of the monetary system should stop us from investing in programs like Space exploration. Any more than they should stop us from investing in science programs like the Large Hadron Collidor, investments in music/arts, etc. Life has to go on otherwise there's no point in anything.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

here we go folks ............I mentioned the Cap n Tax(phoney global warming shite ) in America a few weeks ago raising every American household bill by $ 400 thanks to MR Gore ......
now we have the same here ....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/enviro ... ables.html

I feel like we are in the 51st state .... :(

and if the Swine flu is SO bad as reported and so many of use will die as reported (BBC)...what are they still allowing large gatherings of the public ??? Glastonbury ,Wimbledon ,Golf Open ....and concerts all over the place ....but shut a school down if one kid gets sick ????? it makes no sense ....

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space