Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

NASA's LRO Gets Its First Look at Apollo Landing Sites

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Of course this Press Release is a lie as man never went to the moon and it was all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada

July 17, 2009

Grey Hautaluoma
Headquarters, Washington
202-358-0668
grey.hautaluoma@nasa.gov

Andy Freeberg
Goddard Space Flight Center, Greenbelt, Md.
301-286-0746
andy.freeberg@nasa.gov

RELEASE: 09-168

NASA'S LRO SPACECRAFT GETS ITS FIRST LOOK AT APOLLO LANDING SITES

WASHINGTON -- NASA's Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter, or LRO, has returned its first imagery of the Apollo moon landing sites. The pictures show the Apollo missions' lunar module descent stages sitting on the moon's surface, as long shadows from a low sun angle make the modules' locations evident.

The Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter Camera, or LROC, was able to image five of the six Apollo sites, with the remaining Apollo 12 site expected to be photographed in the coming weeks.

The satellite reached lunar orbit June 23 and captured the Apollo sites between July 11 and 15. Though it had been expected that LRO would be able to resolve the remnants of the Apollo mission, these first images came before the spacecraft reached its final mapping orbit. Future LROC images from these sites will have two to three times greater resolution.

To view the new images, visit:










http://www.nasa.gov/LRO


"The LROC team anxiously awaited each image," said LROC principal investigator Mark Robinson of Arizona State University. "We were very interested in getting our first peek at the lunar module descent stages just for the thrill - and to see how well the cameras had come into focus. Indeed, the images are fantastic and so is the focus."

Although these pictures provide a reminder of past NASA exploration, LRO's primary focus is on paving the way for the future. By returning detailed lunar data, the mission will help NASA identify safe landing sites for future explorers, locate potential resources, describe the moon's radiation environment and demonstrate new technologies.

"Not only do these images reveal the great accomplishments of Apollo, they also show us that lunar exploration continues," said LRO project scientist Richard Vondrak of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Md. "They demonstrate how LRO will be used to identify the best destinations for the next journeys to the moon."

The spacecraft's current elliptical orbit resulted in image resolutions that were slightly different for each site but were all around four feet per pixel. Because the deck of the descent stage is about 12 feet in diameter, the Apollo relics themselves fill an area of about nine pixels. However, because the sun was low to the horizon when the images were made, even subtle variations in topography create long shadows. Standing slightly more than ten feet above the surface, each Apollo descent stage creates a distinct shadow that fills roughly 20 pixels.

The image of the Apollo 14 landing site had a particularly desirable lighting condition that allowed visibility of additional details. The Apollo Lunar Surface Experiment Package, a set of scientific instruments placed by the astronauts at the landing site, is discernable, as are the faint trails between the module and instrument package left by the astronauts' footprints.

Launched on June 18, LRO carries seven scientific instruments, all of which are currently undergoing calibration and testing prior to the spacecraft reaching its primary mission orbit. The LROC instrument comprises three cameras -- two high-resolution Narrow Angle Cameras and one lower resolution Wide Angle Camera. LRO will be directed into its primary mission orbit in August, a nearly-circular orbit about 31 miles above the lunar surface.

Goddard built and manages LRO, a NASA mission with international participation from the Institute for Space Research in Moscow. Russia provided the neutron detector aboard the spacecraft.

For more information about LRO's cameras and to view the first Apollo landing site images, visit:



http://www.nasa.gov/LRO


For additional information on LROC, visit:



http://lroc.sese.asu.edu


-end-


ImageImage

Image




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119046
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:


:howl: :howl: :howl: Starring Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:


:howl: :howl: :howl: Starring Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant


Does this go anyway to change your mind about the lunar landings?




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:


:howl: :howl: :howl: Starring Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant


Does this go anyway to change your mind about the lunar landings?


I love your passion for all things NASA ,I really do .....but hand on heart ...no ..so much manipulation is possible now that I look at them like movie stills ....I guess unless I go there myself and see them I will always be a sceptic Sorry Martyn




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:


:howl: :howl: :howl: Starring Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant


Does this go anyway to change your mind about the lunar landings?


I love your passion for all things NASA ,I really do .....but hand on heart ...no ..so much manipulation is possible now that I look at them like movie stills ....I guess unless I go there myself and see them I will always be a sceptic Sorry Martyn


How do you know you won't have been hypnotised and allowed to visit an elaborate film set?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119046
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:


:howl: :howl: :howl: Starring Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant


Does this go anyway to change your mind about the lunar landings?


I love your passion for all things NASA ,I really do .....but hand on heart ...no ..so much manipulation is possible now that I look at them like movie stills ....I guess unless I go there myself and see them I will always be a sceptic Sorry Martyn


How do you know you won't have been hypnotised and allowed to visit an elaborate film set?


Your not helping :doh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:Cool pix :)


I find the theory that it was "all a big hoax filmed on a set in Nevada" preoposterous.




It was filmed in Slough.








:coat:


:howl: :howl: :howl: Starring Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant


Does this go anyway to change your mind about the lunar landings?


I love your passion for all things NASA ,I really do .....but hand on heart ...no ..so much manipulation is possible now that I look at them like movie stills ....I guess unless I go there myself and see them I will always be a sceptic Sorry Martyn


How do you know you won't have been hypnotised and allowed to visit an elaborate film set?


Your not helping :doh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:


now that is funny .......god I love you guys !!! :rofl: :rofl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

so this is supposed to convince me I am wrong ????

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07 ... l?_r=1&hpw

are they avin a larf ..................... :rofl:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:so this is supposed to convince me I am wrong ????

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07 ... l?_r=1&hpw

are they avin a larf ..................... :rofl:


They are clear evidence that they went, not just because NASA said so but because you can see it with your own eye's. Even the footsteps can be seen.
There is absolutely no doubt any more that they went, those things could only have been placed there by manned missions.
There is no question any more, simple as.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:so this is supposed to convince me I am wrong ????

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07 ... l?_r=1&hpw

are they avin a larf ..................... :rofl:


They are clear evidence that they went, not just because NASA said so but because you can see it with your own eye's. Even the footsteps can be seen.
There is absolutely no doubt any more that they went, those things could only have been placed there by manned missions.
There is no question any more, simple as.


its a photograph ....simple as ....check out the air brushed thighs of Madonna ...proof that anything can be touched up and falsified :rofl:
if thats the best they can produce after all the money being spent on this charade ...well ... :roll:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:so this is supposed to convince me I am wrong ????

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07 ... l?_r=1&hpw

are they avin a larf ..................... :rofl:


They are clear evidence that they went, not just because NASA said so but because you can see it with your own eye's. Even the footsteps can be seen.
There is absolutely no doubt any more that they went, those things could only have been placed there by manned missions.
There is no question any more, simple as.


its a photograph ....simple as ....check out the air brushed thighs of Madonna ...proof that anything can be touched up and falsified :rofl:
if thats the best they can produce after all the money being spent on this charade ...well ... :roll:


If they did fly you up there and landed you next to the craft you would still find a way to dismiss it. One day an astronaut will be sending back a live picture from the surface standing next to the Apollo 11 landing sight and you will still say it was staged.
Hey I wonder where the stage is they are currently sending back pictures from the shuttle mission?




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:so this is supposed to convince me I am wrong ????

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07 ... l?_r=1&hpw

are they avin a larf ..................... :rofl:


They are clear evidence that they went, not just because NASA said so but because you can see it with your own eye's. Even the footsteps can be seen.
There is absolutely no doubt any more that they went, those things could only have been placed there by manned missions.
There is no question any more, simple as.


its a photograph ....simple as ....check out the air brushed thighs of Madonna ...proof that anything can be touched up and falsified :rofl:
if thats the best they can produce after all the money being spent on this charade ...well ... :roll:


If they did fly you up there and landed you next to the craft you would still find a way to dismiss it. One day an astronaut will be sending back a live picture from the surface standing next to the Apollo 11 landing sight and you will still say it was staged.
Hey I wonder where the stage is they are currently sending back pictures from the shuttle mission?



so just what did Neil Armstrong mean by the Parrot comment do you think ....(we talk a lot but dont fly so well) what was that about ??? at what point did he say how privileged he was to walk on the moon (other than just after his "Debriefing")
see to me a comment from the horses mouth means a lot more than a few grainy photos ....and a load of government hype




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:so this is supposed to convince me I am wrong ????

http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/07 ... l?_r=1&hpw

are they avin a larf ..................... :rofl:


They are clear evidence that they went, not just because NASA said so but because you can see it with your own eye's. Even the footsteps can be seen.
There is absolutely no doubt any more that they went, those things could only have been placed there by manned missions.
There is no question any more, simple as.


its a photograph ....simple as ....check out the air brushed thighs of Madonna ...proof that anything can be touched up and falsified :rofl:
if thats the best they can produce after all the money being spent on this charade ...well ... :roll:


If they did fly you up there and landed you next to the craft you would still find a way to dismiss it. One day an astronaut will be sending back a live picture from the surface standing next to the Apollo 11 landing sight and you will still say it was staged.
Hey I wonder where the stage is they are currently sending back pictures from the shuttle mission?



so just what did Neil Armstrong mean by the Parrot comment do you think ....(we talk a lot but dont fly so well) what was that about ??? at what point did he say how privileged he was to walk on the moon (other than just after his "Debriefing")
see to me a comment from the horses mouth means a lot more than a few grainy photos ....and a load of government hype


I did a bit of research today and it seems it was not just the UFO thing that he was angry about but the fact that NASA went to the moon 5 times and never went back, many from the Apollo days are angry NASA never went further than 250 miles above the earth after 1972.
I think you will see most if not all of the hoax spreaders will admit they were wrong when they see the conclusive evidence, which scientifically these pictures certainly are.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

I an not a hoax spreader ..... :D lets clear that up ....its only you and Smeggy I discuss this with ....
nothing I have seen so far has convinced me it was real ....I was convinced by the interview with JFK (might of been with Cronkite ) about how far ahead Russia was ...and how he could not see the US catching up with them in the near future ...I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...
I will never be convinced by grainy photos and film .....




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:I an not a hoax spreader ..... :D lets clear that up ....its only you and Smeggy I discuss this with ....
nothing I have seen so far has convinced me it was real ....I was convinced by the interview with JFK (might of been with Cronkite ) about how far ahead Russia was ...and how he could not see the US catching up with them in the near future ...I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...
I will never be convinced by grainy photos and film .....


I was not calling you a hoax spreader but the people who have written books, made websites and youtube vids about it being a hoax.
The thing is you say .....
I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...

But both these men have always said they did go, they have both written books and Buzz Aldrin has spent the last 40 years talking about the time he went to the moon. Neither of them has ever said it was hoax so if you believe them more than the new pictures why do you still think it was hoax.
I was a drunk but it was not because I had lied about going to the moon.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The Truth Behind The Moon Landings


Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

User avatar
Nutter!!
Posts: 9724
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:42 am
Location: Fylde Coast
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:I an not a hoax spreader ..... :D lets clear that up ....its only you and Smeggy I discuss this with ....
nothing I have seen so far has convinced me it was real ....I was convinced by the interview with JFK (might of been with Cronkite ) about how far ahead Russia was ...and how he could not see the US catching up with them in the near future ...I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...
I will never be convinced by grainy photos and film .....


I was not calling you a hoax spreader but the people who have written books, made websites and youtube vids about it being a hoax.
The thing is you say .....
I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...

But both these men have always said they did go, they have both written books and Buzz Aldrin has spent the last 40 years talking about the time he went to the moon. Neither of them has ever said it was hoax so if you believe them more than the new pictures why do you still think it was hoax.
I was a drunk but it was not because I had lied about going to the moon.


glad to hear you say "Was" good for you kiddo ! :thumb:
anyway if you ask me these questions its clear you have no real idea how the cold war was panning out during the space race ...of course they could never admit it was a hoax ...they had to go along for the ride ( I think they thought they were going and the footage shown was just a practise run I do not think they had any part in the hoax till the last moment )..it was for the good and security of America against the nasty Russians .....a bit like the nasty terrorists we have now
;) ;) ;)




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

annie27 wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
annie27 wrote:I an not a hoax spreader ..... :D lets clear that up ....its only you and Smeggy I discuss this with ....
nothing I have seen so far has convinced me it was real ....I was convinced by the interview with JFK (might of been with Cronkite ) about how far ahead Russia was ...and how he could not see the US catching up with them in the near future ...I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...
I will never be convinced by grainy photos and film .....


I was not calling you a hoax spreader but the people who have written books, made websites and youtube vids about it being a hoax.
The thing is you say .....
I was convinced by the words and actions of Neil Armstrong who became a recluse ,and Buzz Aldrin who became a drunk ...

But both these men have always said they did go, they have both written books and Buzz Aldrin has spent the last 40 years talking about the time he went to the moon. Neither of them has ever said it was hoax so if you believe them more than the new pictures why do you still think it was hoax.
I was a drunk but it was not because I had lied about going to the moon.


glad to hear you say "Was" good for you kiddo ! :thumb:
anyway if you ask me these questions its clear you have no real idea how the cold war was panning out during the space race ...of course they could never admit it was a hoax ...they had to go along for the ride ( I think they thought they were going and the footage shown was just a practise run I do not think they had any part in the hoax till the last moment )..it was for the good and security of America against the nasty Russians .....a bit like the nasty terrorists we have now
;) ;) ;)


I know a lot about the cold war and a lot about the Russian infiltration of NASA during the cold war, if the US had not really gone to the moon they would have sung it from the mountain tops and would have pushed to get there themselves, they had spent millions and had lost thousands of people trying to get there, why would they have stopped their attempts if the US had not really gone.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

diablo wrote:The Truth Behind The Moon Landings



Seen it before but watching it again, Jim Oberg is one of my hero's, brilliant brain http://www.jamesoberg.com/




Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests