Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Stakes high for moon program

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/200 ... on+program

The stakes could not be higher for NASA's embattled moon program.

This week, at Kennedy Space Center, space workers plan to make history again by moving the towering Ares I-X rocket out to its waterfront launch pad.

Next week, NASA aims to ignite the sleek new moon rocket on a test flight that is the last best chance to save the launcher that is supposed to replace the shuttles.

All launches are risky. On every shuttle launch, we risk the lives of some of our best and brightest people. On many rocket launches, we risk losing military and spy satellites that help protect us from bad guys around the world.

On the line with this Ares I-X launch, however, is the future of the United States' civilian space exploration program.

President Barack Obama will soon make decisions that will shape the course of NASA and, by extension, KSC and Brevard County.

He could choose to press on with building NASA's Ares rockets and Orion spacecraft. He might even inject a few billion extra dollars a year to speed up the project.

The president could keep flying the space shuttles if he fears it might take too long for NASA to safely field a new space fleet. Or, he could scrap or scale back the manned space program in favor of sending more robot probes to distant planets or more satellites to study Earth's climate change.

With the launch coming at such a critical political juncture, people inside and outside the space program have a lot of questions. I'm going to take a crack at answering three of the most common questions I hear about this historic mission:

# What happens if the launch fails?

NASA and government officials will put on a strong face. Engineers and managers will say the flight provides a rich database of information that will help future development of the Ares, or other, rockets. They'll be right. But it won't matter much. From the outside, especially in political circles, the glaring message will be failure.

Some senator from Idaho or New York won't care that failures and glitches are part of developing a new rocket. They'll just want to talk about how many billions of taxpayer dollars were spent on the rocket their constituents just watched blowing up on TV.

So, if the test flight goes awry, it's hard to imagine the White House and Congress giving NASA more money to continue developing the Ares rocket. Independent aerospace consultants, private launch service companies, Air Force safety officials and even a presidential panel studying NASA's human space flight program have picked away at politicians' faith in NASA's ability to deliver a rocket that is safe, affordable and ready to fly in a reasonable amount of time.

A launch failure will only amplify complaints about technical, cost and schedule problems. It will mean that the nation needs to invest more money and more time in a system that's already behind schedule. It will mean a longer gap between retirement of the shuttles and the replacement. It will require an even longer leap of faith in NASA's ability to deliver on Ares' promise.

Moreover, a failure would give more ammunition to critics taking aim at the program. They'd be able to say, "See, I told you so." Some of the criticism would be public. Some would be whispered in the corridors of power. It will reverberate through Washington and sound very loud to the people deciding what to do next with NASA.

# What if Ares I-X flies successfully?

A perfect launch and mission could quiet critics and quell skepticism. It won't completely silence the critics or end all questions. It will provide some proof for NASA Administrator Charles Bolden, who could say to the president, "See, we can do it. We're closer than we've ever been to replacing the space shuttles. Give us a chance."

The test could prove NASA has overcome excessive vibrations inside the launch vehicle that could violently shake the spaceship and astronauts inside. The mission will demonstrate the agency's concepts for using modified shuttle facilities and systems to assemble the rocket, move it to the pad and launch it to space.

More than anything, pictures and video of a real flight -- a successful flight -- will go a long way toward making NASA's argument that Ares is a real rocket further along in its development than any alternative. However limited the parameters of this test flight, decision-makers will come away having seen an Ares I rocket sailing toward space.

In essence, it could embolden the NASA team's case that the existing moon program should be given a chance to succeed, even if slightly modified.

# Why fly the mission if Ares I is about to be cancelled?

First, no decision has been made to cancel Ares I or the NASA moon program. Yet. A presidential committee has delivered a report with options for President Obama to consider and the existing program -- called Constellation -- did not fare well in the committee's analysis. People are beginning to speculate the White House will kill Ares.

At NASA, however, standing orders are to continue developing the Ares rocket. This test flight will give NASA data needed to continue development of not only Ares I but also the heavy-lift Ares V rocket. Even if Ares I is cancelled and NASA is told to focus just on the heavier Ares V rocket, this test flight can provide valuable data.

NASA's already spent most of the $350 million estimated cost of the flight. The rocket is built. It's ready to go fly. Not launching now would be more of a waste of money than scrapping the mission altogether.

Finally, there's value in showing the rocket can fly, even this test model of the rocket. One of NASA's arguments against scrapping Ares and starting over is that progress has been made. No data, Powerpoint slides, memos or testimony before Congress can make that point better than the Ares I-X rocket streaking out over the Cape and the Atlantic Ocean on the first launch of what could be NASA's future.

Posted on

He might even inject a few billion extra dollars a year to speed up the project.

And there was me thinking we were in a worldwide economic crisis, silly me! :doh:

What's with the movie style poster anyway?

Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Electric!

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:
He might even inject a few billion extra dollars a year to speed up the project.

And there was me thinking we were in a worldwide economic crisis, silly me! :doh:

Nasa have been doing similar poster for a couple of years to get the word out to the wider public about the space program and how fantastic and vital it is.

Posted on

Some senator from Idaho or New York won't care that failures and glitches are part of developing a new rocket. They'll just want to talk about how many billions of taxpayer dollars were spent on the rocket their constituents just watched blowing up on TV.

They never moan about spending a trillion dollars to help the Zionists and neocons slaughter muslims.

The should put more money into the space program and less into mass murder.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

So what date is the rocket going to be launched? I think it's great value considering it cost just over $1 for each person.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:So what date is the rocket going to be launched? I think it's great value considering it cost just over $1 for each person.

Launch Vehicle: Ares I-X
Targeted Launch Date: Oct. 27
Launch Window: 8 a.m. - 12 p.m. EDT
Launch Pad: 39B
Launch Site: Kennedy Space Center, Fla.

Eastern time, flight is going to be short about 2 minutes.

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

Nasa have been doing similar poster for a couple of years to get the word out to the wider public about the space program and how fantastic and vital it is.

This will be an unmanned test at the end of October though.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Besides, the first launch of Ariane didn't exactly scupper the project.

Insane Poster

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:
martyn20 wrote:
LektroiD wrote:

Sorry did I say something different?

Posted on

martyn20 wrote:
Channel Hopper wrote:
LektroiD wrote:What's with the movie style poster anyway?

Sorry did I say something different?

In responding to Lektroid, it makes absolute sense.

Insane Poster

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:So what date is the rocket going to be launched? I think it's great value considering it cost just over $1 for each person.

so this will help America over its crisis ...?????? its broke ...do you look at this shit before you back an empty venture ....or are you a media whore .....I think not .................!so you think money spent on going to the moon is better than unemployment ?which is not HUGE

Posted on

do you look at this shit before you back an empty venture ?

Absolutely! :thumb:

NASA employ a huge amount of people. Government spending on public ventures both keeps people employed and keeps the velocity of money up. So yes this kind of spending is even more important during recessionary times. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

LektroiD wrote:

see post above :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Right now Obama is looking at funding for a decade ahead, his decision will set the shape of the space program past 2020 so it is not just about spending money that right now could go on other things. Having said that Smeggy is totally right, thousands are employed in the space program and millions are inspired by it.
If man had not explored and pushed the scientific boundaries we would still think the world was flat and horse and cart would be the main form of transport.
Please Annie do the research you are always telling others to do and see the good Nasa does for the US and the wider world, the important scientific programs it is involved in. Please understand what you are talking about.

Posted on

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
do you look at this shit before you back an empty venture ?

Absolutely! :thumb:

NASA employ a huge amount of people. Government spending on public ventures both keeps people employed and keeps the velocity of money up. So yes this kind of spending is even more important during recessionary times. :)

but these are tax paid employees ....how can a new economy be built on non production ...? this is Keynesian economics this destroys countries not helps them ...you may think its a wonderful venture but if its paid with Tax dollars how can it be helpful?

maybe this will help .....

Posted on

When there's a recession and the velocity of money has really slowed down then the goverment printing money and spending it into the economy via public projects like space or bridges or roads, etc is a good thing. It's actually better than the normal method of private banks printing money and loaning it into the economy at interest. Or would you prefer the NWO oligarchy to profit?

NASA employs many many thousands of people all of which spend their wages in places which employ other people and so on. By funding projects like NASA the US government are keeping people in jobs which is supporting the war on unemployment which is why your post above saying that NASA is an empty venture is erroneous.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:When there's a recession and the velocity of money has really slowed down then the goverment printing money and spending it into the economy via public projects like space or bridges or roads, etc is a good thing. It's actually better than the normal method of private banks printing money and loaning it into the economy at interest. Or would you prefer the NWO oligarchy to profit?

NASA employs many many thousands of people all of which spend their wages in places which employ other people and so on. By funding projects like NASA the US government are keeping people in jobs which is supporting the war on unemployment which is why your post above saying that NASA is an empty venture is erroneous.

Smeggy ...did you watch this ?? how can making BIGGER government employees help ? its like pushing chips around a poker table ....for every penny they spend in the economy its money put out by the government anyway ....from loan from the FED
like a piggy bank with no rubber stopper underneath

Posted on

annie I suggest some research into economics. what's important for a society to function and to propser is not only a healthy mount of money in existence but just as importantly a healthy velocity of money ( how fast it circulates through the economy ). Recessions can be self depreciating because people are scared in hoarding money and that reduction in spending only amkes the recession worse and eventually it ends in depression.

if no new money is created then s existning loans are paid off and the money is extinguished that means the amount of money in existence dwindles and obviosuly there is less to spend, people hoard it all the more and this makes a recession worse. The vast majority of new money is created and loaned out by Private Banks and because of this the power of the economy is in private hands. when the banks cut back on lending ( Why it was called a credit crunch ) the mount of money in existence starts to decrease so people hoard it and the veolocity of money descreases. All bad.

Governments stimulating the economy with NASA like projects is good :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:annie I suggest some research into economics. what's important for a society to function and to propser is not only a healthy mount of money in existence but just as importantly a healthy velocity of money ( how fast it circulates through the economy ). Recessions can be self depreciating because people are scared in hoarding money and that reduction in spending only amkes the recession worse and eventually it ends in depression.

if no new money is created then s existning loans are paid off and the money is extinguished that means the amount of money in existence dwindles and obviosuly there is less to spend, people hoard it all the more and this makes a recession worse. The vast majority of new money is created and loaned out by Private Banks and because of this the power of the economy is in private hands. when the banks cut back on lending ( Why it was called a credit crunch ) the mount of money in existence starts to decrease so people hoard it and the veolocity of money descreases. All bad.

Governments stimulating the economy with NASA like projects is good :thumb:

well I guess it depends on what school you study .....we must go to different schools :D
free trade and production is the only way to get a real economy back on its feet .....not creating larger government other wise its a round about ......with out real growth ...just passing money around from pillar to post is not the real cure for a recession ..its like taking painkillers for a toothache ..instead of having the tooth pulled ..painful for a little while but over fast ...the other option is a long agony and the pain killer only works in the short term ...you need more ....the Government should give every passport carrying Brit a million pounds each ......but NO benefits for ten years ....so some may save ...some may start a business ...some may buy houses ...hey some may buy shoes and hand bags .....would have been cheaper than bailing the banks out ... :rofl: how much ??? well we have 61 million people in the UK now so maybe 50 million cost ...BINGO Economy saved in one

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space