Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

NASA Finds water on the the Moon!!

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

NASA Finds water on the the Moon!!

Breaking News and all that!!

NASA finds significant amount of water on the moon. No article yet. Just on the news. What next? NASA finds beer on Mars!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:NASA Finds water on the the Moon!!

Breaking News and all that!!

NASA finds significant amount of water on the moon. No article yet. Just on the news. What next? NASA finds beer on Mars!!!

cool beer on mars :)
that would be a mars bar then








:coat:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

wotsit2 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:NASA Finds water on the the Moon!!

Breaking News and all that!!

NASA finds significant amount of water on the moon. No article yet. Just on the news. What next? NASA finds beer on Mars!!!

cool beer on mars :)
that would be a mars bar then








:coat:



Grooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan!!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

nice one!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Found the article!



'Large amounts' of water on Moon

Nasa's experiment last month to find water on the Moon was a major success, agency scientists have announced.

The agency smashed a rocket and probe into a large crater at the lunar south pole, hoping to kick up ice.

Scientists who have studied the data now say instruments trained on the impact plume saw copious quantities of water vapour.

One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

The 1.6km-high plume of debris was kicked up by the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) last month when it crashed into a crater near the Moon's south pole.

"We're unlocking the mysteries of our nearest neighbour and, by extension, the Solar System," said Michael Wargo, chief lunar scientist at Nasa's headquarters in Washington DC.

"The Moon harbours many secrets, and LCROSS has added a new layer to our understanding."

The identification of water-ice in the impact plume is important for purely scientific reasons, but also because a supply of water on the Moon would be a vital resource for future human exploration.

The impact into Cabeus crater threw up a large plume composed of water vapour and debris, which rose quickly.

An additional curtain of lunar debris was sent out laterally by the impact, and cloud moved more slowly. Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Cool Stuff. I wonder if NASA is planning on landing a probe on the surface ASAP now in order to actually test some of this water?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

The 1.6km-high plume of debris was kicked up by the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) last month when it crashed into a crater near the Moon's south pole.


Fourteen (US) gallons over 1.6 kilometers (or about a mile) of debris.

The vapour released is collectable, but the expreiment has as yet, no way of knowing just how deep the water was in the rocks, or if there was any concentration of the stuff in seams. The only real way of proving that it is a viable prospect is (probably) to throw more bits of metal at the moon.

This is more unworkable than extracting coal was in the early 80's.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 24111
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Channel Hopper wrote:
smeggypants wrote:One researcher described this as the equivalent of "a dozen two-gallon buckets" of water.

The 1.6km-high plume of debris was kicked up by the Lunar Crater Observation and Sensing Satellite (LCROSS) last month when it crashed into a crater near the Moon's south pole.


Fourteen (US) gallons over 1.6 kilometers (or about a mile) of debris.
The vapour released is collectable, but the expreiment has as yet, no way of knowing just how deep the water was in the rocks, or if there was any concentration of the stuff in seams. The only real way of proving that it is a viable prospect is (probably) to throw more bits of metal at the moon.

This is more unworkable than extracting coal was in the early 80's.


True but surely it would be better to send up a mars type lander with some attachment that cna drill down some way and test it in situ rather than as ejected vapour?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:True but surely it would be better to send up a mars type lander with some attachment that cna drill down some way and test it in situ rather than as ejected vapour?



Of course, but landing something (softly) at the other end, adds some 500% to the overall cost of the mission, one reason why nothing apart from fridge-freezers has really been sent to the moon (or Mars) for yonks.

This LCROSS jobby was a cheap shot (sic) launch, pity the Indians discovered it first without launching anything major.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 24111
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

i want to know what smeggys obsession is with yucky chewy choccy bars :confused: and now you mention them too CH :D

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

wotsit2 wrote:i want to know what smeggys obsession is with yucky chewy choccy bars :confused: and now you mention them too CH :D


Cause they ain't landed on Uranus yet.

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 24111
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Channel Hopper wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:i want to know what smeggys obsession is with yucky chewy choccy bars :confused: and now you mention them too CH :D


Cause they ain't landed on Uranus yet.


:howl: :howl: classic schoolboy stuff :clap: :clap:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

User avatar
It's all bollocks!
Posts: 47305
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:33 am
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

The brown rings were the finishing touch for many

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/e ... post638501

The best facial is a daily facial.

User avatar
Insane Poster
Posts: 24111
Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:40 pm
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Channel Hopper wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:i want to know what smeggys obsession is with yucky chewy choccy bars :confused: and now you mention them too CH :D


Cause they ain't landed on Uranus yet.


They never will if I can help it.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Well, technically Uranus is a gas giant, one of the few times astrology makes sense to me.


OK, who is going to be first to say laughing my arse off? :D



User avatar
Really Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 1878
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 am

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

LordNibbler wrote:Well, technically Uranus is a gas giant, one of the few times astrology makes sense to me.


OK, who is going to be first to say laughing my arse off? :D


If you['re talking to me then you're not wrong :)

:farting:


Welcome to Smeggy's btw LordNibbler!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Thank you Smeggypants :)

That is a very dapper tweed jacket you are wearing there!

LN



User avatar
Really Loves Smeggy's
Posts: 1878
Joined: Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 am

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

LordNibbler wrote:Thank you Smeggypants :)

That is a very dapper tweed jacket you are wearing there!

LN


Ding Dong!! :D

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 118874
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons


Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

cron