Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Apollo 17 - will we ever return?

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Today marks the anniversary of Apollo 17 landing on the moon, the last time mankind went there. Unbelievably, it is 37 years since this happened. THIRTY SEVEN YEARS!!! I had to do the maths on a calculator just to double check the magnitude of that number!

My generation grew up watching Apollo broadcasts on TV or pretending to be astronauts in the playground or builidng airfix lunar landers or making computers out of cardboard boxes. We didn't need science fiction to get into space, it was happening for real with real spacecraft and real spacemen and with the Saturn V, one real big MOFO rocket! :) To young impressionable eyes, man could do anything, the world had no limits.

Then all of a sudden, it stopped.

And stopped....

Until here we are 37 years later and we still haven't gone back.

I am beginning to get fearful that those of us who grew up with Apollo may never get to see man walk on the moon again. Now that the Augustine report has given Obama an easy way out for cancelling Constellation and given the massive political will needed even to think about going to the moon and given the lead time to design, build, test the infrastructure before making the trip, when is the next lunar landing going to happen?

I suspect it will be another two terms before it gets mooted again. I doubt Obama will give NASA the funding it needs to complete Constellation and he wont kick-start a new moon venture in his second term and nor with the economic climate as it is. So the earliest is going to be whoever succeeds Obama's second term (which I think he will win) in about seven years time.

If it does get proposed at that point, NASA will have to start again on the design which probably wouldn't be as intensively developed as Apollo was given the different political climate as well as the excessively safety-concious attitude we seem to have now so let's say it takes 8 years from start to first landing.

In round terms, that puts us at 2025 for the next lunar landing if the States decide to do it. Pretty bleak.

To get there earlier than that, my only hope is China. Given the way China is going these days, they would find a way to fund it and could adopt a less risk-averse culture (or a more cavalier attitude) than the Americans and I wouldn't put it past them to be the next nation to walk on the moon. Such an action might also put the skids under the USA and trigger a renaissance in American space adventure.

Apollo was an extraordinary achievement, completely mind-blowing really but it is already a distant memory. Mankind will walk on the moon again, there is no doubt about that, but we could be waiting a very long time for this to happen. I just hope my pessimistic outlook is wrong!

LN

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Good thread!! :)

What pisses me off is the political ideological and military industrial forces that have steered America to spend 1 TRILLION a year and counting on mass murder when it could be used for the benefit of mankind not the destruction and suffering of much of it.

So while the USA spends 1 TRILLION on killing people it spends around 17 BILLION on NASA. AS comparison Israel gets 3 BILLION a year to kill people ( The Israel 'aid' is niow solely for military purposes ).

The USA already spends 10 times as much as every other country in the world on killing people. Why can't the USA Spend only 500 billion on milling people and spend the other 500 Billion on curing diseases and pushing our expeditionary frontiers in space. The USA could easily afford to increase it's funding to NASA from 17 billion to 117 billion. That's if it stopped it's passion to help Israel kill people.

YOou're right that China is probably the best contender for the next manned mission to the moon. The joint Somalian/Afghanistan space program ain't doing to well.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Why should anyone return to the moon.

No life left inside, little water, and too many bits of US debris around.

Unfortunately, even Cavorite has limited potential when moving out of the Solar System.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Only the plucky Brits would attempt to go to the moon in a diving suit with bare feet and hands!! He's probably about to enter his capsule (made from the ends of train buffers by the looks of it) and brew a nice cuppa with some marmite on toast.

Cavorite - I've seen the film but can't remember exactly what that stuff was but it was what made it all possible wasn't it?

LN

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Please stay this time! :spike: :pp: Sorry haven't got round to replying to your PM on DS :oops:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

chinchin wrote:Please stay this time! :spike: :pp: Sorry haven't got round to replying to your PM on DS :oops:

What? Stay on the moon. :)

btyw - I'm interested in Annie's thought on this subject given she thinks we never went there in the first place.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
chinchin wrote:Please stay this time! :spike: :pp: Sorry haven't got round to replying to your PM on DS :oops:

I fawt it was Martyn20 :oops: :pp:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

btyw - I'm interested in Annie's thought on this subject given she thinks we never went there in the first place.

We didnt .....end of .... :D

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

Would you mind if he was? :finger:

Fine Barman!

Posted on

annie27 wrote:We didnt .....end of .... :D

You don't seriously think that do you? :eek4:

LN

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:

LN

yes I do ! shocked ? :) and here is what convinced me ...look at the first pic of three men who apparently went to the moon look at the euphoria on their faces ...NOT ....

Posted on

chinchin wrote:
annie27 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

Would you mind if he was? :finger:

:confused: who was ?

Posted on

Ecky thump! It's all going on tha knows! :eek4: :D

Fine Barman!

Posted on

chinchin wrote:Ecky thump! It's all going on tha knows! :eek4: :D

:confused: :confused: huh ??? sorry you have lost me ! :)

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:

LN

so ??? do you think I am bonkers ....or did that footage make you think twice .....*taps fingers* :D

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:

LN

so ??? do you think I am bonkers ....or did that footage make you think twice .....*taps fingers* :D

He's probably having his tea. I'll watch it now. :thumb:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:

LN

yes I do ! shocked ? :) and here is what convinced me ...look at the first pic of three men who apparently went to the moon look at the euphoria on their faces ...NOT ....

" .... remove one of truth's protective layers"

Well I'd certainly like to know the meaning of that. Doesn't mean we didn't land on the moon though.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

annie27 wrote:yes I do ! shocked ? :) and here is what convinced me ...look at the first pic of three men who apparently went to the moon look at the euphoria on their faces ...NOT ....

I'm not shocked as such, just a bit surprised you think that given the overwhelming evidence to show they really did go there.

Don't judge based on the facial expressions of men bored to death by the constant drudgery of non-stop press conferences, visits to dignitaries, the world tour and all they went through when they got back as "first men on the moon" (not exactly a small achievement) coupled with their own need to come to terms with what they experienced.

Additionally, don't forget that the astronauts were chosen because they were not highly-charged emotional beings who might lose their head in a crisis. NASA needed cold-headed people who could keep functioning in a potentially life-threatening condition and look after the billions invested in the program.

Just because they look glum in a press conference is quite frankly, a ludicrous reason to dismiss one of the greatest achievements in the history of mankind.

LN

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:

LN

" .... remove one of truth's protective layers"

Well I'd certainly like to know the meaning of that. Doesn't mean we didn't land on the moon though.

lets focus on the shot of the three sitting together ....you think thats NORMAL ????? I would love to hear what a body language expert would make of it :chin: sure does not look like three men proud of what they have accomplished :hmmm:
and add on the "Truths protective layers " line ....and the fact he would not even attend the last big anniversary .....to me it all adds up

Posted on

annie27 wrote:
lets focus on the shot of the three sitting together ....you think thats NORMAL ????? I would love to hear what a body language expert would make of it :chin: sure does not look like three men proud of what they have accomplished :hmmm:
and add on the "Truths protective layers " line ....and the fact he would not even attend the last big anniversary .....to me it all adds up

The truth's protective layers could well mean something. but I think you are reading too much into the initial shot of the three of them. There are days when I could look like that even after winning the lottery 'cos of my fatigue. Perhaps they hate each other. Perhaps Buzz tried to fondle Neil on the ascent to the command module and Neil has never forgiven him.

Armstrong did attend the last anniversary didn't he? I remember seeign him give a speech. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space