Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

How NASA films a space shuttle launch

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Looks really interesting. haven't watch it yet,

Photographic documentation of a Space Shuttle launch plays a critical role in the engineering analysis and evaluation process that takes place during each and every mission. Motion and Still images enable Shuttle engineers to visually identify off-nominal events and conditions requiring corrective action to ensure mission safety and success. This imagery also provides highly inspirational and educational insight to those outside the NASA family.

This compilation of film and video presents the best of the best ground-based Shuttle motion imagery from STS-114, STS-117, and STS-124 missions. Rendered in the highest definition possible, this production is a tribute to the dozens of men and women of the Shuttle imaging team and the 30yrs of achievement of the Space Shuttle Program.

The video was produced by Matt Melis at the Glenn Research Center

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

and if all else fails fake it and use wires and CGI :howl: sorry Smeggs :squeeze:

Posted on

Back in the Apollo days, they had cameras on the launch pads, each camera in its own blast-proof housing and some of the slow-motion close-up footage of the Saturn V engines igniting and then blasting off is really quite eerie because of the sheer power and if you were standing where the camera was, you'd probably be blown to pieces in a millisecond - you really have to see it properly on a big tele screen rather than a mini youtube window to understand what I mean. And those engines were just one part of the massive jigsaw that made the whole thing work. Bloody amazing really.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

annie27 wrote:and if all else fails fake it and use wires and CGI :howl: sorry Smeggs :squeeze:

I bet you are suspended by wires! :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
annie27 wrote:and if all else fails fake it and use wires and CGI :howl: sorry Smeggs :squeeze:

I bet you are suspended by wires! :)

only on request ...and it costs extra .... ;)

Posted on

I have 64p in change and about 10ft of twin and earth.

Worth watching in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?fmt=37&gl= ... BX6JyesRzI

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:I have 64p in change and about 10ft of twin and earth.

Worth watching in HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?fmt=37&gl= ... BX6JyesRzI

That's awsome. I have soffit mounted Genelec 1031 studio monitors here and I turned them up real loud. The feeling of power was incredible. I must watch the main documentary laters. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I have seen a shuttle launch. One of the few times I have felt the earth move :D

And I'll make it all worthwhile,

I'll make your heart smile

;)

On a roll!
Current Mood: Wistful

Posted on

Wow! Must be fantastic :) But the shuttle has nothing on the Saturn V. For the first Saturn V launch (Apollo 4), NASA weren't using sound damping in the flame trench (which is what all that water gushing around is in current launches) and the noise brought the ceiling down in the press room which is miles from the pad and people were losing windows even further out. Must have been incredible. I'm not sure we will ever see or hear anything like it in our lifetimes either :(

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Snookums wrote:I have seen a shuttle launch. One of the few times I have felt the earth move :D

Oooer missus. :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Snookums wrote:I have seen a shuttle launch. One of the few times I have felt the earth move :D

my middle name is "shuttle" :rofl: :rofl:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

And I'll make it all worthwhile,

I'll make your heart smile

;)

On a roll!
Current Mood: Wistful

Posted on

Fianlly watched the 45mm docuamentary. Some fantastic footage there!!

And a 4000mm lens!!! :eek:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Fianlly watched the 45mm docuamentary. Some fantastic footage there!!

And a 4000mm lens!!! :eek:

I always find it sad that the only shuttle carrying proper civilians blew up :chin: :( or have I got this wrong ? did a stabbing occure over another space flight regarding an affair :chin:

Posted on

What about the one that blew up on re-entry?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:What about the one that blew up on re-entry?

did that have civilians on board as well :chin: :( ? :( so no civillians lived to tell the tale of their great journey into outer space ...really ?

Posted on

Funny how the three men who we have been told landed on the moon came back looking like some one had shit in their Cornflakes
please please explain this to me...thats all I ask ..No elation No joy No exitement ...just grim and angry

Posted on

Haven't we talked about this before? ;)

I would suggest:

All those who went to the moon found it a deeply moving or profound experience and many "found god". If you can try and imagine what it must have been like to be there, I think you can understand this. Then coming back down to earth with a bump and finding yourself in the position of doing endless interviews, visits, tours and stuff when you are a trained test-pilot, not a celebrity and also coming to terms with the experience you have just had in the knowledge that nothing in your life will ever get remotely close again is bound to create feelings that aren't pure elation.

We can sit here and think what an amazing experience it must have been and how much fun it would be, especially knowing that everyone got back and it all went well. But actually doing it yourself in the knowledge that your life is dependent on a giant chain of events and then once home, coming to terms with what you have done is completely different.

I think they were totally fed up and bored with the interview and celebrity circus. Most of the astronauts went a bit off the hinge afterwards anyway, it wasn't like going for a sunday stroll in the park - it was walking on another world and looking up and seeing the Earth the size of a marble in the sky and over 200,000 miles away. Just try and imagine what that would be like - try it please, it is really incredible.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Some more to put their mood in context:

Training takes years and is hard. The mission is a huge risk. When you get back and you think it is all over, it isn't. You are immediately placed in quarantine for maybe 2 weeks, you have no physical contact with your family or anyone. You then go through rigourous debriefing meetings analysing every second of the mission. You then find the world wants to shake your hand and you end up on world tours, visiting dignitaries, giving speeches to the UN, doing endless interviews and being forever marked as someone who walked on the moon. All of this is happening after the big event when you consider your job done and all you want to do is get back home to your family to unwind and try to come to terms with the experience. Any wonder they got a bit pissed off?

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:I think they were totally fed up and bored with the interview and celebrity circus. Most of the astronauts went a bit off the hinge afterwards anyway, it wasn't like going for a sunday stroll in the park - it was walking on another world and looking up and seeing the Earth the size of a marble in the sky and over 200,000 miles away. Just try and imagine what that would be like - try it please, it is really incredible.

Annie went out to rent The Right Stuff, but came back with Capricorn One.

Besides, mankind would have never found the Clangers if the Van Allen belt wasn't breached

http://www.stuffucanuse.com/fake_moon_l ... ndings.htm

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
Current Mood: unknown

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space