Page 1 of 1

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:21 am
by smeggypants

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:29 am
by phild05
:eek: Never knew so much went into a single launch. All that custom equipment required. What about that hoist for the shuttle? Wouldn't want to drop it :) The underside of Discovery looks well charred too. Can't have many missions left before they have to scrap it..........

Fascinating stuff :splif:

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:35 am
by LordNibbler
Have you got the full youtube link plaese so I can save it off as a mp4? I've tried searching for it but can't find this one.

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:38 am
by smeggypants
LordNibbler wrote:Have you got the full youtube link plaese so I can save it off as a mp4? I've tried searching for it but can't find this one.


I'll embed the video ID so you can click to the main page.


[Link To Youtube Video]

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:39 am
by smeggypants
phild05 wrote::eek: Never knew so much went into a single launch. All that custom equipment required. What about that hoist for the shuttle? Wouldn't want to drop it :) The underside of Discovery looks well charred too. Can't have many missions left before they have to scrap it..........

Fascinating stuff :splif:


It's amazing how high they lift it only to drop it down again to attach it to the big bottles :)

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:09 am
by LordNibbler
Got the link, thanks :)

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:43 am
by wotsit2
phild05 wrote::eek: Never knew so much went into a single launch. All that custom equipment required. What about that hoist for the shuttle? Wouldn't want to drop it :) The underside of Discovery looks well charred too. Can't have many missions left before they have to scrap it..........

Fascinating stuff :splif:

that was discoverys last mission phil :)

Space Shuttle Time Lapse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 12:03 pm
by Channel Hopper
smeggypants wrote:It's amazing how high they lift it only to drop it down again to attach it to the big bottles :)


The winches have to be used to full extension to allow the steel cabling to stretch uniformly.

The hangars were originally buit for the Saturn V's in the 60's

Here's a timelapse of the Ares 1-X assembly, almost twice the height of the shuttle. Any larger and it wouldn't fit in the hangar, and there's no money for a new one.

[Link To Youtube Video]
- pick the HD option.