Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

50th anniversary of the first human space flight

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

50th anniversary of the first human space flight

Space!!!
Space exploration remains a priority for Russia, President Dmitry Medvedev has said, as the country marks the 50th anniversary of the first human space flight by cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin.

"We were first into space, we have a huge number of achievements, we don't want to lose our advantage," he said.

The event is being marked by ceremonies and a 50-gun salute in Moscow.

Gagarin's achievement dispelled fears humans could not survive beyond the Earth's atmosphere.

Since his flight in 1961, more than 500 men and women have followed in his footsteps.

In a video link-up with the crew of the International Space Station as part of the events marking the anniversary, Mr Medvedev said Russia would continue to devote resources to space exploration.

Mr Medvedev earlier said Gagarin's space flight was a "revolutionary" event that changed the world.
'Let's go'

Before Gagarin, no-one knew for sure if a human could withstand the conditions in space, says the BBC's Steve Rosenberg in Moscow; some believed weightlessness would induce madness, that the G-forces on take off and re-entry would crush the body, and there was concern over the effects of radiation.

But when Gagarin's face and voice were beamed down from space, the world saw that the cosmos was not to be feared - it was to be explored, our correspondent says.

On 12 April 1961, to the cry of "Let's go!", Yuri Gagarin embarked on a voyage lasting 108 minutes in a tiny two-metre-wide (6ft) capsule, then ejected and parachuted down into a field in central Russia.

"The most emotional moment was when we heard he was walking and waving; his arms and legs were whole. We understood in one sigh that our five to six years of hard work had paid off and we had achieved something huge," said veteran cosmonaut Georgy Grechko, now 79, who worked as an engineer on Gagarin's space capsule.

The US responded 10 months later, when John Glenn made the first US orbital flight.

Unlike in Gagarin's time, space is no longer the preserve of two superpowers, our correspondent adds.

Today as well as Russia and America, there are other players in space, including Europe, China and India - with their own programmes and their own vision for space exploration.

Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

it was an achievement that left the spams fuming :hyenas:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

It was quite an amazing thing really. Imagine the technology level available and then being blasted up there in something a bit like a glorified cannonball with a small window in it - and then trusting your life to the crude automatic systems on board (he didn't control the flight at all), sometimes having to communicate by Morse Code and knowing that you are zipping round the Earth at 17,000mph in this cannonball capulse! Brave chap :thumb:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:It was quite an amazing thing really. Imagine the technology level available and then being blasted up there in something a bit like a glorified cannonball with a small window in it - and then trusting your life to the crude automatic systems on board (he didn't control the flight at all), sometimes having to communicate by Morse Code and knowing that you are zipping round the Earth at 17,000mph in this cannonball capulse! Brave chap :thumb:

Considering also that he had to bale out and parachute back to Earth due to the re-entry capsule angling badly and catching fire.

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

Did anyone watch this , "Being Neil Armstrong" http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... Armstrong/

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:It was quite an amazing thing really. Imagine the technology level available and then being blasted up there in something a bit like a glorified cannonball with a small window in it - and then trusting your life to the crude automatic systems on board (he didn't control the flight at all), sometimes having to communicate by Morse Code and knowing that you are zipping round the Earth at 17,000mph in this cannonball capulse! Brave chap :thumb:

Considering also that he had to bale out and parachute back to Earth due to the re-entry capsule angling badly and catching fire.

He was given a cyanide suicide capsule to take if the mission went badly wrong and he found himself floating forever in space.

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

Rocky wrote:
Mr Squirrel wrote:

He was given a cyanide suicide capsule to take if the mission went badly wrong and he found himself floating forever in space.

First I've heard of that :confused: Cyanide isn't necessary in space - you just open the hatch or bleed the cabin. Also, his orbital path would have decayed naturally anyway which was a contingency planned for. And as steps were taken to prevent him having to make any firm command decisions (it was unknown about astronauts going mad in space), giving him a cyanide capsule would have been risky. But then, maybe they did :confused: :chin:

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:

He had to parachute out - that was the landing method! The capsule had no method of soft landing. The Soviets claimed a soft landing at the time but it was later admitted he parachuted out as planned. (Not sure about the catching fire bit either - I think it was the retro fire pack that didn't separate correctly and caused gyrations but eventually broke away when the cables burned through).

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

before my time :D

I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

Remember this very well although young, one thing that stays in my mind was the teacher saying *Remember 1961 turn that date upside down.....

Forum Slapper Lush
Current Mood: Eff it.

Posted on

Remember this very well although young, one thing that stays in my mind was the teacher saying *Remember 1961 turn that date upside down..... :confused:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

1961 upside down is 1961 dolls :)

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:1961 upside down is 1961 dolls :)

Oh yes I know that, perhaps they were tryin to say 1991......I dont know....that has always stayed with me... :confused:

Forum Slapper Lush

Posted on

Dolls wrote:

Oh yes I know that, perhaps they were tryin to say 1991......I dont know....that has always stayed with me... :confused:

my maths teacher pointed out to us a certain date when i was at school , 7/7/77 . it was supposed to be a lucky day :rofl:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

Here's a little snippet about Gagarin which falls into the 'Not many people know that' category. Gagarin was originally a test pilot for the MiG company which produced fighter jets, and became one again afterwards. In the early 90s after fall of the wall, I was shown around the factory in Moscow which produces the MiG jet fighter, by one of their test pilots. They have a small museum dedicated to Gagarin inside the factory, and he very proudly showed me around it. There were, of course, many photographs of Gagarin, but I noticed that in the more recent ones he had a scar across his forehead.
Thinking that this was perhaps in some way cosmonaut-related, I asked about it. My guide pretended not to understand my question but later, over lunch, he told me the real story.
Apparently Gagarin was a known womaniser, and he was 'seeing' the wife of a senior being in the Air Ministry. They were together in her flat one day when the husband arrived home unexpectedly. Soviet flats only have one entrance/exit door, so he had to go out through the window. Fortunately, it was on the first floor, but in his haste to leave the premises, Gagarin tripped and fell, and gashed his forehead rather badly. All those involved, police, paramedics and of course the hospital were sworn to secrecy (on penalty of 'transportation'*), and the matter was never revealed. All the public photos of him which have been released since the accident have been airbrushed.

To me, there is a terrible irony in Gagarin's life. He only lived to 34, and having survived being sent into space, he was killed during what was, by all accounts, a relatively straightforward test flight.

* Not exactly the salt mines of Stalin's time, but relocation to a totally closed city in the Soviet Union (of which there were many), or one of the satellite countries, such as Kazakhstan.

War is God's way of teaching Americans geography. Ambrose Bierce (1842-1913)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
They used to say if an infinite number of chimps typed we would get the works of Shakespeare. The internet has proved that this is not the case...

Grand Master

Posted on

thanks tangs :)

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:
Dolls wrote:

my maths teacher pointed out to us a certain date when i was at school , 7/7/77 . it was supposed to be a lucky day :rofl:

I remember 8/8/88. I remember being sat in class when the teacher wrote it on the board. I though it was amazing at the time :oops:

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:
Dolls wrote:

I remember 8/8/88. I remember being sat in class when the teacher wrote it on the board. I though it was amazing at the time :oops:

then there was 9/9/99 res

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

Not long till 11/11/11 :)

Complete Nutter!!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space