Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed

Forum for NASA and all other Space Exploration and Observation

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Kepler 22-b: Earth-like planet confirmed

Crikey!! Wonder if they use Fractional Reserve banking :rofl: :rofl:

The planet lies about 15% closer to its star than
the Earth is to the Sun
Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own.

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C.

It is the closest confirmed planet yet to one like ours - an "Earth 2.0".

However, the team does not yet know if Kepler 22-b is made mostly of rock, gas or liquid.

During the conference at which the result was announced, the Kepler team said that it had spotted some 1,094 new candidate planets.

The Kepler space telescope was designed to look at a fixed swathe of the night sky, staring intently at about 150,000 stars. The telescope is sensitive enough to see when a planet passes in front of its host star, dimming the star's light by a minuscule amount.

Kepler identifies these slight changes in starlight as candidate planets, which are then confirmed by further observations by Kepler and other telescopes in orbit and on Earth.

Kepler 22-b was one of 54 candidates reported by the Kepler team in February, and is just the first to be formally confirmed using other telescopes.

More of these "Earth 2.0" candidates are likely to be confirmed in the near future, though a redefinition of the habitable zone's boundaries has brought that number down to 48.

Kepler 22-b lies at a distance from its sun about 15% less than the distance from the Earth to the Sun, and its year takes about 290 days. However, its sun puts out about 25% less light, keeping the planet at its balmy temperature that would support the existence of liquid water.

The Kepler team had to wait for three passes of the planet before upping its status from "candidate" to "confirmed".

"Fortune smiled upon us with the detection of this planet," said William Borucki, Kepler principal investigator at Nasa's Ames Research Center.

"The first transit was captured just three days after we declared the spacecraft operationally ready. We witnessed the defining third transit over the 2010 holiday season."

The results were announced at the Kepler telescope's first science conference, alongside the staggering number of new candidate planets. The total number of candidates spotted by the telescope is now 2,326 - of which 207 are approximately Earth-sized.

In total, the results suggest that planets ranging from Earth-sized to about four times Earth's size - so-called "super-Earths" - may be more common than previously thought.

[url]Article Source[/url]

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

15% closer to the sun? Explosive vegatation me thinks!

On a roll!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: Paranoid!

Posted on

Opethian wrote:15% closer to the sun? Explosive vegatation me thinks!

It's sun isn't as powerful as ours though. :)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Makes no differance if its earth like,or inhabitable...we are never going to be able to get there if its 600 light years away....even with the fastest ship know it would take thousands and thousands of years to get there...... :(

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

600 light years away

So what the astronomers are seeing is a planet similar to ours, where the white man hasn't as yet set foot in America.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia

Posted on

stinkymouse wrote:Makes no differance if its earth like,or inhabitable...we are never going to be able to get there if its 600 light years away....even with the fastest ship know it would take thousands and thousands of years to get there...... :(

Well yes, with our current knowledge we aren't going to be able to get there. Who knows about the future though. In 500 years time they will probably look on us as a bunch of pre-historic fools, who knew nothing and they'll probably be right :)

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:
stinkymouse wrote:Makes no differance if its earth like,or inhabitable...we are never going to be able to get there if its 600 light years away....even with the fastest ship know it would take thousands and thousands of years to get there...... :(

Well yes, with our current knowledge we aren't going to be able to get there. Who knows about the future though. In 500 years time they will probably look on us as a bunch of pre-historic fools, who knew nothing and they'll probably be right :)

It is short sighted to think we'll never be able to travel those distances. Go back in time only a 100 years and show someone a mobile phone, or a 3D TV for example. Technology isn't progressing in a linear fashion it's almost exponential.

Light speed maybe the current limit on speed, but the chaps at CERN have already fired a bunch of particles at a lab in Italy and they've measured they got there faster than the current known speed of light. So stick that up your Higgs Boson!!! :rofl: :rofl: :pp: :pp:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Travelling there is less of a problem than what would lie when we get there.

At 2.4 times the size of Earth, we would face Gravity 2.4 times our own. Me trying to walk on that planet would be the same as me trying to walk down our road carrying Bernard manning.
Of course, there would be ways and means around transportation.. but what about the gravitational pull on our internal organs? Most people would suffer Heart Attacks just by sitting in a chair for a month.

Nope, its a pipe dream. Next planet Dr Spock.

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

Squizz, by the time we find out how to do light speed+ I'm sure we'll have found a way to combat being too heavy :D

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Squizz, by the time we find out how to do light speed+ I'm sure we'll have found a way to combat being too heavy :D

You miss my point.

What we really want is an Earth like planet (or two) just a bit smaller than Earth.
That way, we effectively become fitter, stronger, more agile and less stresses would be placed on our vital organs thus we get to live longer.

Bigger isnt always better. :D

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

My maths needs checking here - but.... if gravity is proportional to mass, not diameter, and for sake of argument, assuming this new planet has the same density as Earth, if it is 2.4 times bigger, its mass is actually 13.8 times larger. This probably wont make the gravitational pull 13.8 times more beacuse when you stand on the surface of this planet, you are standing further away from the centre relative to the same position on Earth but even if that makes a 20% difference which is a huge over-estimate IMO, its gravity is more likely to be at least 10 times stronger than on Earth! That isn't survivable. Your blood would drain from you head and you'd pass out rapidly even if you managed to stand up in it.

Now I'm not sure on that maths - seems a bit too high to me and it also doesn't take into account any atmospheric pressure which might makes things even worse. But anyway...... gravity will be significantly higher than on Earth as Mr. S points out.

Post script mumbling..... 13 times higher really seems wrong...... anyone know how to work it out exactly?

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

We need to develop the warp drive or feckin good shortcuts. Bending space and all that stuff. I'm sure NASA and co are working on it.............

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Squizz, by the time we find out how to do light speed+ I'm sure we'll have found a way to combat being too heavy :D

We'll have to as mass increases greatly as speed approaches light speed. Our weight on this planet will be child's play in comparison :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

It's pretty odd thinking about what mankind might develop and discover over the next few thousand years. Really cuts me up that I wont be able to see it! :violin: :shrug: I wonder if Smeggys will be called Zmeggyz? :)

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:It's pretty odd thinking about what mankind might develop and discover over the next few thousand years. Really cuts me up that I wont be able to see it! :violin: :shrug: I wonder if Smeggys will be called Zmeggyz? :)

The chances are mankind will have destroyed itself long before then.....either way i wouldnt want to be around in a thousand years time...!

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

We'll have to as mass increases greatly as speed approaches light speed. Our weight on this planet will be child's play in comparison :)

Doesn't it becomes infinite when you get to the speed of light, making it impossible according to current theory??

That's not to say current theory is correct or there isn't a way round the problem.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:It's pretty odd thinking about what mankind might develop and discover over the next few thousand years. Really cuts me up that I wont be able to see it! :violin: :shrug: I wonder if Smeggys will be called Zmeggyz? :)

If humans survive a few more thousand years we will look like cavemen to them I reckon.

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

I'm pretty confident we'll still be around - mankind has existed through some pretty tough times and even if we get hit by a giant meteorite, there will be pockets of survivors who will rebuild.

Mankind in the future will be much taller than we are now and no doubt live longer as well. Our languages will develop and mutate so we might have a hard time understanding it. We'll probably have implant computers that monitor our bodies and warn of possible, err, malfunctions as well as providing communications and access to Ziki. Our homes will be smaller but probably feature holographic projections to simulate wider spaces and designer scenery. And people will still be discussing whether 911 was a false flag or not :)

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

stinkymouse wrote:

The chances are mankind will have destroyed itself long before then.....either way i wouldnt want to be around in a thousand years time...!

I would, I'd love to see the earth in a thousand years time. I'd also love to see it a thousand years ago.

"Zmeggy's" - :rofl: - I once got accused of being controlled opposition. :D :D

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

YOU GUYS ARE RUINING BATTLESTAR GALACTICA FOR ME! :(

Now that's off my chest, I think the Age of Aquarius (water bearer) means that we'll both be spacefaring, and be meeting Kevin Costner ala Waterworld. Imagine that.

On a roll!
Current Mood: Paranoid!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space