The comet chaser is now in orbit - some stunning images coming back

http://rosetta.esa.int/

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Looks like a giant coprolite, but this is a great mission all the same. I hope it goes well and they manage to land.

Most of the technology seems to be British as well, so I suppose they are ignoring it in the USA. :):

I have doubts that most of the water on earth came from the skies, but this should give us more of a clue.

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

You can see a face at the bottom/right end. :)

paint your wagons and burn your banker, coz the twisted circus is coming to town and there ain't no safety net under the high wire.

- Larry Love.

Smegster
Current Mood: Puckish

Posted on

Moving to the NASA - space forum :thumb:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

diablo wrote:Looks like a giant coprolite, but this is a great mission all the same. I hope it goes well and they manage to land.

Most of the technology seems to be British as well, so I suppose they are ignoring it in the USA. :):

Interestingly I automatically assumed it was NASA when I was watching it out of the corner of my eye on the :zbcnews: - I suppose i'm conditioned that the BBC is a US proapganda machine now

But yup a great mission

I have doubts that most of the water on earth came from the skies, but this should give us more of a clue.

Given the earth was supposedly a sphere of molten rock and metal at the beginning I'm not sure water would have been able to 4xist on it from the get go. Surely the water must have arrived later after it had cooled a bit and formed a crust

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Given the earth was supposedly a sphere of molten rock and metal at the beginning I'm not sure water would have been able to 4xist on it from the get go. Surely the water must have arrived later after it had cooled a bit and formed a crust

Not at all, water in its gaseous form is extremely stable as a compound and is a byproduct of many chemical reactions that would have been happening during the beginning of this planet forming.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/artic ... ll-the-ex/

The scientists are more interested in the comet for the age of the ice (and water as a gas)that is present, as well as its purity. They will be looking for anything that might have 'contaminated' the planet with organic material, rather than it occurring by chance.

Insane Poster

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Given the earth was supposedly a sphere of molten rock and metal at the beginning I'm not sure water would have been able to 4xist on it from the get go. Surely the water must have arrived later after it had cooled a bit and formed a crust

Well yes, that seems a pretty reasonable supposition. How could water survive in the middle of a molten mass?

But then again, how many billion water bearing comets would need to crash into earth to deliver all the water we have here? Though I suppose it could have been over a billion years anyway - but still an awful lot.

Though as CH points out there are other theories - and nothing can be taken for granted if we don't have all the facts.

I saw an article about a huge amount of water miles below the surface a while back - and hey presto here's a link to a similar article.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014 ... on-surface

"water is locked up in a mineral called ringwoodite about 660km (400 miles) beneath the crust of the Earth, researchers say. Geophysicist Steve Jacobsen from Northwestern University in the US co-authored the study published in the journal Science and said the discovery suggested Earth’s water may have come from within, driven to the surface by geological activity, rather than being deposited by icy comets hitting the forming planet as held by the prevailing theories."

We don't know the truth, that's what makes exploration so interesting.

I heard that the water in the comet may have different levels of deuterium than that found on earth which may be a good indicator.

"Rosetta will investigate this by analysing the isotopic abundances in the cometary ices. The isotopes of a certain chemical element are atoms of the same kind that differ slightly in weight. Deuterium, for example, is an isotope of hydrogen; it is also heavier than hydrogen. All the deuterium and hydrogen in the Universe was made just after the Big Bang, about 13.7 billion years ago, fixing the overall ratio between the two kinds of atoms. However, the ratio seen in water can vary from location to location. The chemical reactions involved in making ice in space lead to a higher or lower chance of a deuterium atom replacing one of the two hydrogen atoms in a water molecule, depending on the particular environmental conditions. Thus, by comparing the deuterium to hydrogen ratio found in the water in Earth's oceans with that in extraterrestrial objects, we can try to identify the origin of Earth’s water. For example, if the hydrogen-deuterium ratio in the ocean water is similar to that in the cometary ice, it will support the theory that a fraction of the Earth's water has its origin in space. ESA’s Herschel mission has already found a very similar deuterium-to-hydrogen ratio in comet Hartley-2."

All very interesting. :) :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Probably a combination of both comets and water already there. Apparently there was a huge order of magnitude more stuff flying around in the early days

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

As mentioned before, water is a byproduct of a vast number of chemical reactions that would have occurred in the first few million years of the planet forming.

Comet does goatse

Insane Poster

Posted on

i think it's amazing what we humans can do when not busy killing each other :)

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:i think it's amazing what we humans can do when not busy killing each other :)

USA spending per year on Killing people = $800 BILLION
USA spending per year on NASA = $18 BILLION

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:i think it's amazing what we humans can do when not busy killing each other :)

saddening isn't it smeggy :(

I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

saddening isn't it smeggy :(

Yup. very saddening. Just think what good that $800 BILLION could do in the world. Health care, technology advances ( including space research ), famine, poverty, etc,etc

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Your budgetry comparison is somewhat irrelevant.

Recent data have shown that the UK space industry recorded a total turnover of over £9.1bn in 2010/11

And don't forget these flying rocks might harbour some alien beings that could suck the bejesus out of the unwary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089489/tag ... tt_stry_tg

Insane Poster

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:Your budgetry comparison is somewhat irrelevant.

Recent data have shown that the UK space industry recorded a total turnover of over £9.1bn in 2010/11

And don't forget these flying rocks might harbour some alien beings that could suck the bejesus out of the unwary.

:eek: :eek: :eek: to the hills !!! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

Don't think it's actually due to be on the comet until about 4pm, but the probe should be on it's way at around 9am.

The live coverage starts at 8.30am and you can watch hear http://spaceflightnow.com/2014/11/11/co ... us-center/

Complete Nutter!!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:

They're already here mate :spike:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Resonance wrote:Don't think it's actually due to be on the comet until about 4pm, but the probe should be on it's way at around 9am.

The live coverage starts at 8.30am and you can watch hear http://spaceflightnow.com/2014/11/11/co ... us-center/

U was always wondering how it would land and stay there given there's gravity but very little. apparently the lander is going to drill into the surface and bolt itself down if it can, nad/or shoot harpoon tethers into it.

I bet Vanessa Feltz above has a larger gravitational pull :D

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:

she looks like a giant slug that's going to be roasted :eek: :eek: :throwup: :throwup:

It's all bollocks!

Posted on

wotsit2 wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
wotsit2 wrote:

she looks like a giant slug that's going to be roasted :eek: :eek: :throwup: :throwup:

Spit roasted by you and Crumbs? :D

Complete Nutter!!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to NASA - Space