Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

BEWARE!! WORST COMPUTER VIRUS IN HISTORY!!

Talk about your box!! yes... PC's, Mac's and TV's --We can get along!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Millions hit by computer virus
by TIM UTTON, Daily Mail

The internet was under attack last night by the fastest-growing computer virus in history.
Worldwide systems were buckling after the 'Sobig.F' spread to 134 countries in just 96 hours, generating tens of millions of e-mails.

Experts fear it could increase the volume of electronic traffic by a staggering 60per cent, slowing the internet to a crawl.

It is believed to have cost British businesses alone hundreds of millions in lost orders and system crashes. The global cost will be immense.
Individual companies have been bombarded with millions of copies of the virus, while home users have seen their machines "jammed" by up to 6,000.

The PC World chain said tens of thousands of customers had brought in computers to be "cleaned" by technicians.

Experts say Sobig appears to have been written by senders of "spam" - unwanted junk e-mail - trying to find ways past internet filters which block their messages.

The new digital onslaught comes hard on the heels of two other major viruses, Blaster and Nachi. "This is the worst barrage of viruses in the history of computing," said Graham Cluley of Sophos Anti-Virus.
"Even companies who are properly protected are feeling a slowdown.
"Sobig. F is the fastest-spreading virus of all time and if it carries on at this pace for a few more days it will become the most prevalent too."

MessageLabs, a British-based Internet security firm, said it had intercepted more than a million copies of Sobig.F in 24 hours, more than for any other virus.

One in 17 of all e-mails sent since Monday was infected. By comparison the 'LoveBug' virus, which hit the headlines three years ago, was found in one in every 28 e-mails at its height.

Sobig.F spreads when unsuspecting users open attachments in e-mails that contain such headings as "Thank you", "Re: Details" or "Re: Wicked Screensaver".

It sends multiple copies of itself to every name in a person's address book - so each infected machine can spawn hundreds of e-mails.

Sobig.F also tries to implant a background program which turns computers into a relay for any messages sent by the virus's creators - greatly increasing their earnings.

Experts advise users to keep anti-virus software up to date, never open an e-mail attachment unless they know what it is and delete uninvited e-mail - particularly from an unknown sender.

Mr Cluley said even e-mails which seem to come from friends or colleagues should be treated with caution.
For anyone whose computer has been infected, the advice is to go to the website of an internet security company like Symantec, FSecure, Sophos, Message Labs or McAfee. Fixing programs are also available from Microsoft.

Anyone whose computer has been slowed too much even to get online can buy anti-virus software from High Street shops or get their machine fixed there.

Article Source

"TONGUE-tied and twisted, just an earthbound misfit, I"

Haunting Beauty
Current Mood: Spine chillingly spooky

Posted on

Norton AntiVirus losing sales? :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

The PC World chain said tens of thousands of customers had brought in computers to be "cleaned" by technicians.

Fukkin' 'ell. Talk about making things worse. :rofl:

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

I think this is a crock. I've not heard of this thing at all, ever. Looks like some fabricated shite by the Mail. Word gets around (rather like a virus :) ) when a virus hits and nobody has said a thing..........

DId that article have "Advertisement" in the footer? :)

Planets and Atmospheres: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter4
The Dome of Clement: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter2#
Minimal Cheese available at http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/philter

Grand Master

Posted on

phild05 wrote:I think this is a crock. I've not heard of this thing at all, ever. Looks like some fabricated shite by the Mail. Word gets around (rather like a virus :) ) when a virus hits and nobody has said a thing..........

DId that article have "Advertisement" in the footer? :)

the article finsihes off

Anyone whose computer has been slowed too much even to get online can buy anti-virus software from High Street shops

Says it all really. :rofl: -And we all know what shite the High St computer shops sell you .... :bugs: :breaking: :breaking: :breaking:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:

Fukkin' 'ell. Talk about making things worse. :rofl:

On the plus side, any kiddy fiddlers daft enough to bring their computers in to be cleaned will get grassed up to the coppers.

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Norton AntiVirus losing sales? :rofl:

That sounds about right Smeggy. Clear the problem with the latest Norton anti virus, folks.

:howl:

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

Norton Anti-Virus might as well be a virus the way it clogs up peoples computers. Hideous piece of software.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:Norton Anti-Virus might as well be a virus the way it clogs up peoples computers. Hideous piece of software.

Tell me about it..I had them last year and I swear never again. F****ng useless.

I'm on Kaspersky now and haven't had a problem. :fingers_crossed:

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

I don't use any. I use a firewall. You wouldn't put 20 locks on every door in your house so why do it on our computer?

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

A firewall doesn't stop viruses though. It just stops (hopefully) people hacking into your computer.

As for Norton I agree. Total bloatware.

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Resonance wrote:A firewall doesn't stop viruses though. It just stops (hopefully) people hacking into your computer.

As for Norton I agree. Total bloatware.

I've had 2 virus in the last 10 years or so. Both removed by hand without too much trouble in 20 minutes or so. Small price to pay for bloatless computer :)

Virus threat is almost as exaggerated as the 'war on terror' garbage :)

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Well yes, I agree if you're careful you can mostly avoid viruses. I have AVG (the free version) and it doesn't seem to slow things down much (if at all).

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Totally agree about PC World and Norton. Wouldn't touch either with a barge pole.

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Computers and Software