Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Lesbian Finds Herself Banned From Xbox Live

Shoot em up? Adventures? Here we go!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Lesbian Finds Herself Banned From Xbox Live

Image
Red Homophobics of Death!!


Teresa says that she was harassed by other players and later suspended from XBOX Live because she identified herself as a lesbian in her profile. When she appealed to Microsoft, she says they told her that other gamers found her sexual orientation "offensive."

Teresa says:

I just recently saw a thing on your site about someones gamer tag being banned because it had the word gay in the tag.

I had a similar incident, only my account was suspended because I had said in my profile that I was a lesbian. I was harassed by several players, 'chased' to different maps/games to get away from their harassment. They followed me into the games and told all the other players to turn me in because they didn't want to see that crap or their kids to see that crap.

As if xbox live is really appropriate for kids anyways! My account was suspended and xbox live did nothing to solve this, but instead said others found it offensive.

Today I received a message from another gamer calling me a fag. I am a lesbian, so they aren't too smart if they cant get their anti-gay slurs right.

Microsoft does nothing to stop this or prevent it, but instead sides with the homophobes. No one will help me get the word out about Microsoft's anti-gay policy. Not even the HRC who says Microsoft has a positive image with them. Not to me it doesn't!


We've heard of gamers being suspended for identifying themselves as gay in their GamerTag, and even one case of a guy whose name was actually "Richard Gaywood" but his tag was suspended anyway because apparently the word "gay" is so offensive that it doesn't matter if its actually your name.

As far as we know, Microsoft is unwilling to reconsider this position.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119631
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Microsoft's ridiculous reply:

"As stated in the Xbox Live Terms of Use, a member may not create a gamertag or use text in other profile fields that include comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate content of a potentially sexual nature. Profiles that do are asked to change the language and suspended until changes are made. In regards to sexual orientation, for gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other. Players can, however, self identify in voice communication where context is more easily explained to all players involved.

"Harassment of any kind is not condoned and is taken very seriously; we strongly encourage Xbox Live members to immediately report inappropriate behavior through the compliant tools in the service so that it can be investigated and the appropriate action taken."

"The Xbox Live community grows daily, and we continue to explore methods and levels of enforcement to enhance the ways our members connect and have fun, while adhering to a code of conduct that encourages respect and keeps the service safe and fun for all our members."


WANKERS!!!

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119631
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

or gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other.


Makes sense to me, why on earth would Microsoft want to spend ages sorting out arguments between those with differing opinions on the subject? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the gay rights crowd and a bunch of religious nutters. It's a gaming service, not a dating service.

Image

Image

User avatar
Smegster
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Watford Herts
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:Microsoft's ridiculous reply:

"As stated in the Xbox Live Terms of Use, a member may not create a gamertag or use text in other profile fields that include comments that look, sound like, stand for, hint at, abbreviate, or insinuate content of a potentially sexual nature. Profiles that do are asked to change the language and suspended until changes are made. In regards to sexual orientation, for gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other. Players can, however, self identify in voice communication where context is more easily explained to all players involved.

"Harassment of any kind is not condoned and is taken very seriously; we strongly encourage Xbox Live members to immediately report inappropriate behavior through the compliant tools in the service so that it can be investigated and the appropriate action taken."

"The Xbox Live community grows daily, and we continue to explore methods and levels of enforcement to enhance the ways our members connect and have fun, while adhering to a code of conduct that encourages respect and keeps the service safe and fun for all our members."


WANKERS!!!


:howl: So...you can tell people you're a lesbian (or a hetero) as long as you do so in chat, where you can put lesbianism into context, as opposed to in a gamertag where people just won't grasp it and will be all offended......I knew there were 50 million reason I hated Microshaft.....and I'm not exaggerating...




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Jim_UK wrote:
or gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other.


Makes sense to me, why on earth would Microsoft want to spend ages sorting out arguments between those with differing opinions on the subject? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the gay rights crowd and a bunch of religious nutters. It's a gaming service, not a dating service.


OTOH there are people who wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the compulsory hetero crowd with their sense of entitlement to be treated with respect while being allowed to demonise others' preferences - and a bunch of religious nutters. Come on Jim_UK - you can tell people your sexual orientation without it being about looking for a date. Well, I can. Maybe you're different.

I hope you're just taking the piss...... :hmmm:




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ariane wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
or gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other.


Makes sense to me, why on earth would Microsoft want to spend ages sorting out arguments between those with differing opinions on the subject? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the gay rights crowd and a bunch of religious nutters. It's a gaming service, not a dating service.


OTOH there are people who wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the compulsory hetero crowd with their sense of entitlement to be treated with respect while being allowed to demonise others' preferences - and a bunch of religious nutters. Come on Jim_UK - you can tell people your sexual orientation without it being about looking for a date. Well, I can. Maybe you're different.

I hope you're just taking the piss...... :hmmm:


I'm serious, what has someones sexual orientation got to do with gaming? anyway the TOS are perfectly clear and apply to everyone including heterosexuals, she would have agreed to the TOS before being allowed onto live. The only thing that pisses me off is they haven't dealt with those that harassed her.

Image

Image

User avatar
Smegster
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Watford Herts
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Jim_UK wrote:
ariane wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
or gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other.


Makes sense to me, why on earth would Microsoft want to spend ages sorting out arguments between those with differing opinions on the subject? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the gay rights crowd and a bunch of religious nutters. It's a gaming service, not a dating service.


OTOH there are people who wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the compulsory hetero crowd with their sense of entitlement to be treated with respect while being allowed to demonise others' preferences - and a bunch of religious nutters. Come on Jim_UK - you can tell people your sexual orientation without it being about looking for a date. Well, I can. Maybe you're different.

I hope you're just taking the piss...... :hmmm:


I'm serious, what has someones sexual orientation got to do with gaming? anyway the TOS are perfectly clear and apply to everyone including heterosexuals, she would have agreed to the TOS before being allowed onto live. The only thing that pisses me off is they haven't dealt with those that harassed her.



Okay, I never read the T&C quote properly myself. Didn't see the bit where they specifically disallow any mention of sexual orientation in profiles. I wonder of you can mention race, religion, membership of the NRA etc.......

Profiles are generally for letting other people know a bit more about you...they're not only for attributes pertaining to the gaming experience, IMHO. I would expect a gaming profile to humanise you a bit in order to aid interaction with fellow gamers, although if you're going around killing all in front of you, that's probably not very welcome.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

This seems stupid banning someone from Xbox Live just because she classed herself as a Lesbian in her profile MS are pathetic sometimes.

Image
Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

User avatar
Super Smegster
Posts: 3442
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:19 am
Location: Cymru
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

ariane wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
ariane wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
or gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other.


Makes sense to me, why on earth would Microsoft want to spend ages sorting out arguments between those with differing opinions on the subject? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the gay rights crowd and a bunch of religious nutters. It's a gaming service, not a dating service.


OTOH there are people who wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the compulsory hetero crowd with their sense of entitlement to be treated with respect while being allowed to demonise others' preferences - and a bunch of religious nutters. Come on Jim_UK - you can tell people your sexual orientation without it being about looking for a date. Well, I can. Maybe you're different.

I hope you're just taking the piss...... :hmmm:


I'm serious, what has someones sexual orientation got to do with gaming? anyway the TOS are perfectly clear and apply to everyone including heterosexuals, she would have agreed to the TOS before being allowed onto live. The only thing that pisses me off is they haven't dealt with those that harassed her.



Okay, I never read the T&C quote properly myself. Didn't see the bit where they specifically disallow any mention of sexual orientation in profiles. I wonder of you can mention race, religion, membership of the NRA etc.......

Profiles are generally for letting other people know a bit more about you...they're not only for attributes pertaining to the gaming experience, IMHO. I would expect a gaming profile to humanise you a bit in order to aid interaction with fellow gamers, although if you're going around killing all in front of you, that's probably not very welcome.


It's still ridiculous that the T&Cs Disallow someone mentioning their sexual orientation. Why on earth not? Are we not allowed to describe our hair colour, height, weight, race, etc, as well?

I think it sucks and whoever drew up those T&Cs are fucking idiots IMO.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119631
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

WANKERS ......:(
SHAMEFUL :( :( :(

I can understand silly kids acting up in games, but they should be modded
but for Microcock to do that ,
bang out of order :mad: :cunt:



User avatar
12 cans of Stella
Posts: 6716
Joined: Fri May 23, 2008 9:21 pm
Location: coastal town that should of been shut down
Current Mood: hopeful

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

This is just silly. It would make an interesting experiment to see if someone with the term "straight" or "heterosexual" in the profile still gets banned?

Then again thinking about it, you see plenty of social networking profiles with people using terms to say if the are gay in the profile. Off the top of my head i cant think of any that i have seen that say "Dave Straight", then again maybe i dont look hard enough. Maybe there is an unwritten rule that states if you dont say what your sexuality is then you are assumed to be straight. Who knows?

Either way it seems bloody stupid of Microsoft!




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

It does seem stupid the way MS has banned the use of Sexual Preference in their profiles I know with Facebook or Myspace you can state either with No Answer or just select your interesting in either Men Or Women with no problem.

Image
Cymru Ar gyfer Rhyddid

http://www.main.ffafansite.co.uk/

User avatar
Super Smegster
Posts: 3442
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:19 am
Location: Cymru
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: Memory & Humanity is finally here

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
ariane wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
ariane wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:
or gamertags or profiles we do not allow expression of any type of orientation, be that hetero or other.


Makes sense to me, why on earth would Microsoft want to spend ages sorting out arguments between those with differing opinions on the subject? I wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the gay rights crowd and a bunch of religious nutters. It's a gaming service, not a dating service.


OTOH there are people who wouldn't want to be stuck in the middle of an argument between the compulsory hetero crowd with their sense of entitlement to be treated with respect while being allowed to demonise others' preferences - and a bunch of religious nutters. Come on Jim_UK - you can tell people your sexual orientation without it being about looking for a date. Well, I can. Maybe you're different.

I hope you're just taking the piss...... :hmmm:


I'm serious, what has someones sexual orientation got to do with gaming? anyway the TOS are perfectly clear and apply to everyone including heterosexuals, she would have agreed to the TOS before being allowed onto live. The only thing that pisses me off is they haven't dealt with those that harassed her.



Okay, I never read the T&C quote properly myself. Didn't see the bit where they specifically disallow any mention of sexual orientation in profiles. I wonder of you can mention race, religion, membership of the NRA etc.......

Profiles are generally for letting other people know a bit more about you...they're not only for attributes pertaining to the gaming experience, IMHO. I would expect a gaming profile to humanise you a bit in order to aid interaction with fellow gamers, although if you're going around killing all in front of you, that's probably not very welcome.


It's still ridiculous that the T&Cs Disallow someone mentioning their sexual orientation. Why on earth not? Are we not allowed to describe our hair colour, height, weight, race, etc, as well?

I think it sucks and whoever drew up those T&Cs are fucking idiots IMO.


It's not ridiculous at all, it makes perfect sense. Look what happened to this woman, she was chased around various games and harassed which wasn't any fun for her and wouldn't have been much fun for those who just want to get on with the game. Policing these games is impossible, there are just too many so using the TOS to avoid potential trouble in the first place makes sense.

Image

Image

User avatar
Smegster
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Watford Herts
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Rather than get into any arguement I have'nt read any posts..so why on earth when your going to play a game do you say..oh by the way I'm lesbian..gay man..hetrosexual man.. hetrosexual woman ..no sorry don't get it..it screams chip on my shoulder to me sorry.I am sick to death of all this PC rubbish..ambulance chasing lawyers..get a jod..get a life and stop with all this..you've upset me crap.....



User avatar
Getting into it now!
Posts: 57
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:05 am
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: zuzzin.

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Jim_UK wrote:It's not ridiculous at all, it makes perfect sense. Look what happened to this woman, she was chased around various games and harassed which wasn't any fun for her and wouldn't have been much fun for those who just want to get on with the game. Policing these games is impossible, there are just too many so using the TOS to avoid potential trouble in the first place makes sense.


But why should someone have to hid their sexuality to avoid getting chased around by a bunch of fuckhead homophobes?

Is that the kind of society we want? Where the bigoted win? I don't give a fuck what someone's sexuality is, but if someone is proud of it and wants to put it in their profile, why not?

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

User avatar
Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Posts: 119631
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 8:32 am
Location: Smegland
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:It's not ridiculous at all, it makes perfect sense. Look what happened to this woman, she was chased around various games and harassed which wasn't any fun for her and wouldn't have been much fun for those who just want to get on with the game. Policing these games is impossible, there are just too many so using the TOS to avoid potential trouble in the first place makes sense.


But why should someone have to hid their sexuality to avoid getting chased around by a bunch of fuckhead homophobes?

Is that the kind of society we want? Where the bigoted win? I don't give a fuck what someone's sexuality is, but if someone is proud of it and wants to put it in their profile, why not?


People shouldn't have to hide there sexuality. Then why should they say it in the same sentence as there name? As i said in my post earlier why on all these social networking sites to you find people declaring there sexuality if they are gay, but not declaring it if they are straight? It just bloody bizarre to me. You don't meet someone on the street and say "Hi Im Dave Smith Gay", the only time i have heard something similar used is when out with some gay friends in a bar i would always get introduced as" This is X straight!", which i hated. Then again that was a decade or so ago, and you think things would have evolved since, but i know they haven't. I just thinks its a fascinating topic that on so many social networking sites people need to declare there sexuality. Oh yeah i forgot they are poor excuses for meat markets.

The other thing is, this is simply Microsoft protecting themselves, like most companies would in these pc times. Yes we would all love a world in which people are not going to get hatred for there sexuality, colour, religion etc.... but its not going to happen. So declaring so openly you gay will cause some to question it, and as many people in this world are stupid, it will be questioned in stupid ways.

The way i see it, apart from jokes about having "gayder" we do not walk about the streets with badges with gay, straight on our heads so i see no reason to have it on a simple profile for playing a game. Maybe on a social networking site, as so many people are clearly using them as online dating, but for a game?




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

smeggypants wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:It's not ridiculous at all, it makes perfect sense. Look what happened to this woman, she was chased around various games and harassed which wasn't any fun for her and wouldn't have been much fun for those who just want to get on with the game. Policing these games is impossible, there are just too many so using the TOS to avoid potential trouble in the first place makes sense.


But why should someone have to hid their sexuality to avoid getting chased around by a bunch of fuckhead homophobes?

Is that the kind of society we want? Where the bigoted win? I don't give a fuck what someone's sexuality is, but if someone is proud of it and wants to put it in their profile, why not?


What should Microsoft do about it? they can't police all the games and they can't take someone on their word that they're being harrassed, there's too many sore losers out there who'd abuse the system. Microsoft have to operate in the sort of society we've got, not the one we'd like. Anyway the rules apply to everyone so they're not homophobic.

Image

Image

User avatar
Smegster
Posts: 2558
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Watford Herts
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Jim_UK wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
It's still ridiculous that the T&Cs Disallow someone mentioning their sexual orientation. Why on earth not? Are we not allowed to describe our hair colour, height, weight, race, etc, as well?

I think it sucks and whoever drew up those T&Cs are fucking idiots IMO.


It's not ridiculous at all, it makes perfect sense. Look what happened to this woman, she was chased around various games and harassed which wasn't any fun for her and wouldn't have been much fun for those who just want to get on with the game. Policing these games is impossible, there are just too many so using the TOS to avoid potential trouble in the first place makes sense.


But she was harrassed not because she said she was gay! She was harrassed by bullying. Instead of doing the easy thing and removing the victim of bullying why not address the real problem - in this case heterosexual bullying? To me, this is as helpful as telling women to stay off the streets and wear binbags to address male rape. I wonder how many XBox Live gamertags are explicitly about the sexual prowess of the gamer, or are, in some other way heterosexually related?....Just think about the type of nyms that male teenagers use online in every other arena in all seriousness and then what about jokey nicks?.....Think about how close a connection there is between violence and straight sex in computer games. Look at some of the nyms we use here! I can think of several heterosexually flavoured nicks off the top of my head!

This is gay-bashing, pure and simple and Microsoft have facilitated and implicitly supported it by refusing to address the real issue. No-one should be hounded away for their sexual preference. NO way would Microsoft have responded this way had the people been black, Jewish or Muslim. They would have had to address the bullies, even if they can't police them. There would have been an outcry and rightly so. Attacking gays has always been allowed in our wonderful caring society, if not condoned, and it's becoming more acceptable by the day - and this kind of response is the reason why.

Why not just get rid of online gaming? It's about as sensible as this decision. I swear to god I'm selling all my PCs and buying another Mac now. Microsoft are the world masters at bullying and glorifying bullying.

I find this very saddening. I really feel it's just plain wrong.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

staroffurby wrote:
smeggypants wrote:
Jim_UK wrote:It's not ridiculous at all, it makes perfect sense. Look what happened to this woman, she was chased around various games and harassed which wasn't any fun for her and wouldn't have been much fun for those who just want to get on with the game. Policing these games is impossible, there are just too many so using the TOS to avoid potential trouble in the first place makes sense.


But why should someone have to hid their sexuality to avoid getting chased around by a bunch of fuckhead homophobes?

Is that the kind of society we want? Where the bigoted win? I don't give a fuck what someone's sexuality is, but if someone is proud of it and wants to put it in their profile, why not?


People shouldn't have to hide there sexuality. Then why should they say it in the same sentence as there name?


Profiles are there for a purpose and the purpose is to tell more about yourself. Why should we have to hide our sexuality in profiles? If we shouldn't have to hide it, why not mention it in any sentence we choose? Gays ARE expected to hide their sexuality. My dear Mother told me she would poison me if I ever told her I was gay. Very few people know I'm gay and this kind of thing is why. Because I have enough problems to deal with without taking on heterosexual bullies as well.

Don't make me point out every time you make your sexuality apparent here, furbs.... :)

It wasn't even her gamertag that mentioned her sexuality or whatever, it was her profile.

meh....backward step, this.




Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

      

Jim_UK wrote: Anyway the rules apply to everyone so they're not homophobic.


I'll reserve judgement on that until I hear from a straight guy who was hounded off the network for having BiggusDickus as a nick.




Next

Return to Gaming

Similar topics

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
    Top of Page

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests