Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Gaming can lead to Agression?

Shoot em up? Adventures? Here we go!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Gaming can lead to Agression?

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!! :stomp: :stomp: :rofl: :rofl:

Neuroscientist Baroness Greenfield claimed people who play a lot of video games can have an increase in "aggression and recklessness".

She is leading a debate in the House of Lords on Monday evening about the impact of digital technologies on the mind.

But The Daily Telegraph's science writer Tom Chivers said people can use screens and still talk to others, and research shows those with an active life in social media tend to have a more active "real life".

Article Source

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

usual pseudo science bullshit then :roll:

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Keith Vaz is proof of the link between games and violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Vaz# ... e_violence

Who wouldn't want to slap the twat.

The best facial is a daily facial.

Insane Poster
How Hot Are You?: Siberia
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

nuff said CH

Trying is the first step towards failure...Homer Simpson
"Ahhhhhh bollox.... whats the point "... Me :D
I would like to thank the MOD for all of their support over the years ...thanks for fuck all :fingers:
do whaaaaaa ? :tizzles:

It's all bollocks!
Location: Sunny, scintillating Blackpool . Riiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhhtttttt
Current Mood: FUCKIN' FUCKITTY BOLLOCKS !!!

Posted on

Channel Hopper wrote:Keith Vaz is proof of the link between games and violence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keith_Vaz# ... e_violence

Who wouldn't want to slap the twat.

From he article:

"Tony Blair said the game was unsuitable for children and agreed to discuss with the Home Secretary what action could be taken."

Blair ( and his successors ) thinks that showing scenes of mass violence on TV at 6pm every night is suitable for children. I don't think the murdering warmongering mercenary Blair has any right or qualification to dictate what is suitable for Children. Twat.

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Actually, I think high levels of violence and gore in computer games is appaling. Along with the increasing violence and gore in films being passed at ever lower certificates, we have a creeping desensitivisation towards actions and images that are abhorent. There is a real danger here with peoples' realities being more and more defined by what they see on their computer screens that they lose contact with how the real world works.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote: There is a real danger here with peoples' realities being more and more defined by what they see on their computer screens that they lose contact with how the real world works.

I'll come back with an answer when I've desptached this balrog back to the underworld.

Insane Poster

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:Actually, I think high levels of violence and gore in computer games is appaling. Along with the increasing violence and gore in films being passed at ever lower certificates, we have a creeping desensitivisation towards actions and images that are abhorent. There is a real danger here with peoples' realities being more and more defined by what they see on their computer screens that they lose contact with how the real world works.

Click on image for full size:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

Since its release around 1996/7... i have been a huge Grand Theft Auto fan. (and i eagerly await the release of GTA V)

Sadly, it had influenced me to the point where i fantasise about being a drug dealer, screwing prostitutes and murdering them afer to get my money back and being generally, a big bad ass gangsta committing mass murder for fun.

Fuck it... Wheres my Chainsaw?

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:Since its release around 1996/7... i have been a huge Grand Theft Auto fan. (and i eagerly await the release of GTA V)

Sadly, it had influenced me to the point where i fantasise about being a drug dealer, screwing prostitutes and murdering them afer to get my money back and being generally, a big bad ass gangsta committing mass murder for fun.

I'm about to start playing the X-Box version of Zionist WW3 IV. Will it turn me into a superioritist agressive racist monster :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

smeggypants wrote:
Mr Squirrel wrote:Since its release around 1996/7... i have been a huge Grand Theft Auto fan. (and i eagerly await the release of GTA V)

I'm about to start playing the X-Box version of Zionist WW3 IV. Will it turn me into a superioritist agressive racist monster :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Only if you play it online against 15yr old chavs and have the gall to actually be better than them.

(this is my experience of GTA Online Deathmatches)

I was bored and decided to update my signature but i couldnt think of anything to put, so i decided to just put Bollocks!

Irritating the humorless since 1973

Complete Nutter!!
Current Mood: Sexy as fuck!

Posted on

Mr Squirrel wrote:
smeggypants wrote:

Only if you play it online against 15yr old chavs and have the gall to actually be better than them.

(this is my experience of GTA Online Deathmatches)

I use to be a grand master of Half Life 1 Online deathmatch. Killbox was my favourite map. I evn used to play on dial up years ago and built up some horrendous telephone bills :eek: :eek: :rofl:

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Posted on

While I can understand the concerns of the MPs. While there's a lot of violent imagary and adult themes in games, a lot of 'harm' of this can be dispelled by a parent or guardian simply talking about the game.

If parents simply took five or ten minutes time to research whatever it is that they are planning on buying for their kids, there wouldn't be a problem. Failing that, have a parent sit in the room as their little Johnny plays the game for an hour or two.

Lazy parents are primarily to blame for violent offspring. As the Americans would say "Garbage in, garbage out."

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

The people who are more likely to be influenced by violence in games are those growing up in a world where it is common place to play games that let you control weapons that blow apart human bodies graphically depicted on the screen. Some of you might joke about it but there will be isolated youngsters or mentally unbalanced adults who get saturated in barbaric images that they play a part in, a virtual world they control that consists on constant violence and mutilation. To deny that will have an affect on someone, especially impressionable youngsters is turning a blind eye to the situation. A society that seeks entertainment in ever-increasing levels of gore and violence has a problem and the more desensitised it becomes, the more violence and aggression becomes commonplace. It's easier to see how things have gone if you look at the film industry and what passed for an 18 cert 30 years ago and what passes for a 15 cert nowadays. Do you think that is good?

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Worth another viewing

Insane Poster

Posted on

LordNibbler wrote:The people who are more likely to be influenced by violence in games are those growing up in a world where it is common place to play games that let you control weapons that blow apart human bodies graphically depicted on the screen. Some of you might joke about it but there will be isolated youngsters or mentally unbalanced adults who get saturated in barbaric images that they play a part in, a virtual world they control that consists on constant violence and mutilation. To deny that will have an affect on someone, especially impressionable youngsters is turning a blind eye to the situation. A society that seeks entertainment in ever-increasing levels of gore and violence has a problem and the more desensitised it becomes, the more violence and aggression becomes commonplace. It's easier to see how things have gone if you look at the film industry and what passed for an 18 cert 30 years ago and what passes for a 15 cert nowadays. Do you think that is good?

An interesting arguement, but violence in films is rarely as bad as some of the examples you can find in "holy texts." At least with film violence, a parent can easily turn to thier child and tell them it's all make-believe akin to a fairytale - though one cannot simply dismiss holy texts on account of a LOT of people believing them to be true.

Where common media violence is frowned upon, violence in holy texts are revered. A very nasty double standard, the religious shouldn't be so quick to jump on it seeing how they got the sweeter end of the deal. And films were censored, what else will people have to censor just because some impressionable child with negligent parents decided it'd be funny to act violently.

The problem and solution lies with the parent - if they took just five minutes out of their day to talk with their children about the consequences, legal ramifications and morality of violence, I don't think there'd be a problem to start with. Why should everyone else all throughout Britain have their freedoms curtailed because of a few negligent parents?

If you aren't willing to stand behind your troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Lex iniusta non est lex

Grand Master
Current Mood: Snarky

Posted on

Two points on that.

One. Comparing the printed word with interactive 1st person audio-visual and physical entertainment that rewards instantly for commiting acts of sometimes extreme violence is comparing totally different mediums.

Two. How many hours of your choice do you spend a week reading holy texts and how many hours playing violent computer games? Take a survey at a few schools and ask the same question. What do you think the ratio will be?

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

This thread title proves one thing, and that is; all the warmongering politicians in the Tory and Labour party play too many video games.

Super Smegsterwegsta
How Hot Are You?: Centre Of The Sun
Current Mood: Changeable

Posted on

Oh come on, this is utter nonsense. So are they trying to say if I sit down and play a violet video game Im going to go and out and shoot someone? I think they need to give people some credit.

99 per cent of people can distinguish between fiction and reality.

For example after watching emmerdale tonight Id lilke to go out and murder cain dingle myself, doesnt mean Im going to though.

Sweetheart

Posted on

Gunner 51 wrote:
LordNibbler wrote:The people who are more likely to be influenced by violence in games are those growing up in a world where it is common place to play games that let you control weapons that blow apart human bodies graphically depicted on the screen. Some of you might joke about it but there will be isolated youngsters or mentally unbalanced adults who get saturated in barbaric images that they play a part in, a virtual world they control that consists on constant violence and mutilation. To deny that will have an affect on someone, especially impressionable youngsters is turning a blind eye to the situation. A society that seeks entertainment in ever-increasing levels of gore and violence has a problem and the more desensitised it becomes, the more violence and aggression becomes commonplace. It's easier to see how things have gone if you look at the film industry and what passed for an 18 cert 30 years ago and what passes for a 15 cert nowadays. Do you think that is good?

An interesting arguement, but violence in films is rarely as bad as some of the examples you can find in "holy texts." At least with film violence, a parent can easily turn to thier child and tell them it's all make-believe akin to a fairytale - though one cannot simply dismiss holy texts on account of a LOT of people believing them to be true.

Where common media violence is frowned upon, violence in holy texts are revered. A very nasty double standard, the religious shouldn't be so quick to jump on it seeing how they got the sweeter end of the deal. And films were censored, what else will people have to censor just because some impressionable child with negligent parents decided it'd be funny to act violently.

The problem and solution lies with the parent - if they took just five minutes out of their day to talk with their children about the consequences, legal ramifications and morality of violence, I don't think there'd be a problem to start with. Why should everyone else all throughout Britain have their freedoms curtailed because of a few negligent parents?

A lot more people ( in the UK at least ) don't believe in religious dogma though.

Aliens Ate My Chicken!

Next

Share this Topic on Facebook:

Return to Gaming