Smeggy's Forums

Forums where you CAN vent!

Skip to content

Advise on a games console.

Shoot em up? Adventures? Here we go!!

Top Forum Index Page New Posts

Posted on

Thinking about getting a games console in the next few days and wondered the best one to get,believe it or not we have never bothered with having one before(busy with work and family life)but i would like to get one,but which one to get?
There are so many different ones,i think i would like to play football,cricket baseball games and games that the kids can play on....any advice would be helpfull,im not too worried about how much i spend!!

Really Loves Smeggy's
How Hot Are You?: Scorchio!
Current Mood: unknown

Posted on

Never had one, but the advice always used to be to pick the games which you wish to play and the console then becomes obvious.

Maybe someone less useless will come along in a moment. :)

Never forget the iron law of unintended consequences

Nutter!!
How Hot Are You?: Frosty Weekend in Rhyl
Current Mood: less tired than I was

Posted on

Stinky, if you want something for the kids as well, I would recommend the Wii. It's great fun and there are so many games. My eldest just bought a PS3 with birthday money, and while the graphics etc are really good, the games are aimed at older players and there isn't so much choice.

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
How Hot Are You?: The Big Bang!!
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

Weve got a PS2 which has been used a lot - more recently bought a Wii...and my eldest wants an Xbox 360 for christmas ( but he aint getting one)

Recently theyve been getting into games on the computer - the wee ones like Club Penguin, and one of the older one likes RuneScape.

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

Get a DS for yourself - it's wee and dinky and has loads of puzzle games available- for those quiet moments on the "throne" or in the bath.

I have worked through 100's of soduku puzzles and 100's of crosswords - and I dont have kids!!!!

We're about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod.
- Blackadder

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

As diablo says look at the games you fancy and go from there, it might also be worth finding out what console the kids friends have so they can play online with them.

Smegster
How Hot Are You?: A Nice English Summer's Day

Posted on

Eeek!

After reading Jim's post - surely kids should be out playing in fresh air with their pals - rather than kinda interacting with them!!!!

Don't mean yours specifically Whirlie - but what Jim said was scary!

We're about as similar as two completely dissimilar things in a pod.
- Blackadder

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

If its for the kids to play on mostly get a Wii.

If its for you and you want a wide variety of games get an Xbox 360 (much cheaper than a PS3 and a lot more games).

PS2 are old now, and while they have a lot of games, they do look dated now compared to the new generation of consoles.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

Lots of good advise,thanks guys :) Wii sounds like a good option for the kids,if 4 and 7 isnt too young for them to play on,and at least it will get them moving instead of watching the tv all the time....i will see what the wife says and maybe get a wii for christmas for them....
I want to get some games where they can learn as well as play..educational games.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

stinkymouse wrote:Lots of good advise,thanks guys :) Wii sounds like a good option for the kids,if 4 and 7 isnt too young for them to play on,and at least it will get them moving instead of watching the tv all the time....i will see what the wife says and maybe get a wii for christmas for them....
I want to get some games where they can learn as well as play..educational games.

My 4 year old plays games on the Xbox 360, PS2 and the pc (only suitable ones) - they ain't too young.

Whether long range weapon or suicide bomber a wicked mind is a weapon of mass destruction whether you're soar away sun or BBC 1 misinformation is a weapon of mass destruc you could a Caucasian or a poor Asian racism is a weapon of mass destruction whether inflation or globalization fear is a weapon of mass destruction whether Halliburton or Enron or anyone greed is a weapon of mass destruction we need to find courage, overcome inaction is a weapon of mass destruction

Bra Burning Hippy
Current Mood: waiting

Posted on

sprenger wrote:Eeek!

After reading Jim's post - surely kids should be out playing in fresh air with their pals - rather than kinda interacting with them!!!!

Mine are off school ( its an in-service day), and Ive just packed them off to the tennis, because its a lovely day. I cant stand it when they waste good days like this playing games indoors. They can play on the PS2 when its dark, or its raining. :)

It's coming yet for a' that, that Man to Man, the world o'er, shall brothers be for a' that. (Robert Burns)

MILF

Posted on

stinkymouse wrote:Lots of good advise,thanks guys :) Wii sounds like a good option for the kids,if 4 and 7 isnt too young for them to play on,and at least it will get them moving instead of watching the tv all the time....i will see what the wife says and maybe get a wii for christmas for them....

We got the Wii last year, when my youngest was 6. There are quite a few educational games too - Big Brain Academy is great :thumb: I like it as it's something we play together as a family. Only downfall I would say about the Wii, is the cost of the additional controllers :(:

Don't tell me the sky's the limit, when there are footprints on the moon

Grand Master
Current Mood: recovering

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:

Mine are off school ( its an in-service day), and Ive just packed them off to the tennis, because its a lovely day. I cant stand it when they waste good days like this playing games indoors. They can play on the PS2 when its dark, or its raining. :)

Not a lovely day here.but we often make sure the kids go outside and play..even when its cold we wrap them up and take them to the park with bread to feed the ducks,or play out in the back garden,i will put a limit on the amount of time when they play on the games...we are good parents.

Really Loves Smeggy's

Posted on

Good lord, these days there are child molesters behind every bush and those kids who manage to avoid them get stabbed to death by their peers. I know about these things, it was in the Daily Mail. :thumb:

Smegster

Posted on

The Wii is you're best bet with kiddies around. You can excercise with it if you get the Wiifit step as well. Mario kart on the Wii is great fun. Me and Ms Smeggy have just had a session online (ooer)

-----|0| None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. |0|-----

"Capitalism profits from War - Humanity profits from Peace."

Aliens Ate My Chicken!
Current Mood: Won Tons Mons

Posted on

Pros and cons.

Xbox 360.
Pros.
Online service that's second to none.
Excellent library of games.
Games tend to be cheaper than the PS3.
Works flawlessly with Windows Media Centre.
Can be bought for less than a Wii.

Cons.
Online play isn't free, that said it only works out two or three quid a month so isn't really an issue.
Not exactly reliable, things have improved of late though.
Noise, the DVD drives sound like a plane taking off.
Expensive adds ons, the wireless adapter and larger hard drives are a con.

PlayStation 3.
Pros.
Online is free.
Is a decent Blu-Ray player.
Wireless is built in.
Hard drive can be updated very cheaply, uses the same drives found in laptops.
Linux can be installed on it, runs like crap though.
With a large hard drive it makes an excellent media centre.

Cons.
Expensive.
Not the largest selection of games, that will no doubt change over time and Sony are committed to the system long term.
Has the odd disagreement with Media Centre. (mine does anyway) :mad1:
Batteries cannot be changed in the controller so when they wear out and won't take a charge any more you need to replace the controller.

Wii
Pros.
Games tend to be cheap.
There are some really innovative titles on the system.
Wii fit is a great excuse to avoid real exercise. :D
It's Nintendo so their back catalogue is excellent, a lot of which can be downloaded and played on the Wii.
Plays Gamecube games and can use Gamecube controllers adding to the number of titles available.
Wireless built in.

Cons.
Online service is crap.
Horribly underpowered.
The decent titles are lost in a sea of dross, I've never before seen so much shovelware on one machine.
Wiimotes aren't that accurate.

Smegster

Posted on

I didnt know you could play gamecube games on the Wii, thats very useful info, thanks

and, i dont understand what you mean when you say play online...?

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:I didnt know you could play gamecube games on the Wii, thats very useful info, thanks

and, i dont understand what you mean when you say play online...?

Instead of people playing on the same machine a group can play together via the internet. This was what i was getting at when I suggested it's worth finding out what the kids freinds have, if their mates all have the same machine and stinkys kids get something different then they can't play together.

To play Gamecube games you'll also need a gamecube controller and memory card, should be cheap enough to buy.

Smegster

Posted on

Instead of people playing on the same machine a group can play together via the internet. This was what i was getting at when I suggested it's worth finding out what the kids freinds have, if their mates all have the same machine and stinkys kids get something different then they can't play together.

so how does that work....how do you set it up? sorry I'm clueless about this sort of thing.

MILF

Posted on

Whirliegig wrote:

so how does that work....how do you set it up? sorry I'm clueless about this sort of thing.

Don't know about the Wii, I got shot of mine before the online done much. The others are easy, you connect the headset and choose the online mode in the game. What happens then very much depends on the game, some have different modes for online while others allow two people to play the single player game together (co-op).

Smegster

Next

Return to Gaming